Simple Question

  • Bud
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 19, 2008
      Well, I hope it's simple and not to dumb.
      I have a combo belt sander with a 9" wheel on it also....was given to
      me when I moved to Oregon by a guy just wanting to get rid of it (took
      up room in his garage).

      My question.....how do you measure the length for the belt?....is it
      the actual circumference of the belt, or the length when laid
      flat?....I'm guessing circumference, but don't want to buy something
      extra.

      best regards,

      bud
    • Ray Livingston
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 19, 2008
        Bud,

        Sanding belts are measured by total length - As if you cut across the
        belt, and laid it out flat, then measured end to end.

        Regards,
        Ray L.

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Bud" <budguinn@...> wrote:

        > Well, I hope it's simple and not to dumb.
        > I have a combo belt sander with a 9" wheel on it also....was given to
        > me when I moved to Oregon by a guy just wanting to get rid of it (took
        > up room in his garage).
        >
        > My question.....how do you measure the length for the belt?....is it
        > the actual circumference of the belt, or the length when laid
        > flat?....I'm guessing circumference, but don't want to buy something
        > extra.
        >
        > best regards,
        >
        > bud

      • Terry Coombs
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 19, 2008
          Bud wrote:
          > Well, I hope it's simple and not to dumb.
          > I have a combo belt sander with a 9" wheel on it also....was given to
          > me when I moved to Oregon by a guy just wanting to get rid of it (took
          > up room in his garage).
          >
          > My question.....how do you measure the length for the belt?....is it
          > the actual circumference of the belt, or the length when laid
          > flat?....I'm guessing circumference, but don't want to buy something
          > extra.
          >
          > best regards,
          >
          > bud
          If you cut the belt and lay it out flat , and it measures 24" long and 4"
          wide , you need 4x24 . Or a 3 X 21 , or whatever the piece measures . Those
          two are the standard sizes for handheld units , not sure what sizes are
          standard for the bench types .
          Snag
          every answer
          leads to another
          question
        • Stan Stocker
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 19, 2008
            Hi Bud,

            If the belt is 6 inches wide it's probably a 48 inch belt. Just measure
            the circumference as you figured. There is a tension / tracking adjustment.

            Common belt sizes are 24, 36, and 48 inches.

            Happy sanding!
            Stan

            Bud wrote:
            > Well, I hope it's simple and not to dumb.
            > I have a combo belt sander with a 9" wheel on it also....was given to
            > me when I moved to Oregon by a guy just wanting to get rid of it (took
            > up room in his garage).
            >
            > My question.....how do you measure the length for the belt?....is it
            > the actual circumference of the belt, or the length when laid
            > flat?....I'm guessing circumference, but don't want to buy something
            > extra.
            >
            > best regards,
            >
            > bud

          • pacer8020
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 19, 2008
              Bud, It'll be the total length ---

              That sounds like it may be the venerable little 1x42 sander with the
              disc on the side, -- is the belt 1"? Coarse I think there was a Delta
              too, that was ---1x30??

              I've got the 1x42 and it has to rank in the top tools for useage in my
              shop, I love that little cheapo Chinese tool.

              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Bud" <budguinn@...> wrote:

              > Well, I hope it's simple and not to dumb.
              > I have a combo belt sander with a 9" wheel on it also....was given to
              > me when I moved to Oregon by a guy just wanting to get rid of it (took
              > up room in his garage).
              >
              > My question.....how do you measure the length for the belt?....is it
              > the actual circumference of the belt, or the length when laid
              > flat?....I'm guessing circumference, but don't want to buy something
              > extra.
              >
              > best regards,
              >
              > bud

            • Steve Albright
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 19, 2008
                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Bud" <budguinn@...> wrote:

                > Well, I hope it's simple and not to dumb.
                > I have a combo belt sander with a 9" wheel on it also....was given to
                > me when I moved to Oregon by a guy just wanting to get rid of it (took
                > up room in his garage).
                >
                > My question.....how do you measure the length for the belt?....is it
                > the actual circumference of the belt, or the length when laid
                > flat?....I'm guessing circumference, but don't want to buy something
                > extra.
                >
                > best regards,
                >
                > bud

                It would be the length of the belt if you cut it across the narrow way
                and laid it out flat like one long piece of sandpaper.
              • Bud
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 20, 2008
                  Thanks guys, I kinda figured it was the total circumference. This is
                  a sander that is probably 20 years old, or more....I'm going to take
                  it apart and clean everything, check bearings....etc. Should make a
                  very nice tool.

                  best regards,

                  bud