Re: Anyone build Yadro lately?

  • leasingham_connelly
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2008
      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "lthium2" <lthium2@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      > This is my first post here.I¡¯m LT LOO from Malaysia, lately I'm
      on
      > volunteer list to help some engineering vocational school student
      with
      > their annual school project. With limited of money in hand we
      decided
      > to scratch build a DRO base on nick Muller design to be fitted
      > to my X2 mill as a exhibition project. And with it some other
      student
      > can built and machine some parts from it with the aid of DRO to be
      > use as their class exhibition object.
      >
      > Currently I¡¯m comming up with all of components/scale used in it
      > building and at the end of the day I¡¯ll will be keeping the DRO
      and
      > reimburse the money student spend on other parts they used in the
      > project.
      >

      > In the process student learn the following process in engineering
      > skill
      >
      > 1.) Design and fabricating of PCB with the aid of CAD.
      >
      > 2.) Electronics in enhancing mechanical machinery.( initially I
      > though a CNC conversion would be even batter but lack of
      fund/skill
      > and availability of cheap ball screw dampen the idea.)
      >
      > 3) embedded technology in today electronic.
      >
      > 4) Basic skill of machining.
      >

      > We had scratch build your design base on info nick publish on his
      > web page.
      >
      > After finishing building the board (DRO int4) and scratch building
      of
      > buffered STK200/300 programmer and iron some other problem with
      > ponyprog/ twinAVR software, we¡¯re able to re-program the
      ATtiny2313-
      > 20PU chip with out much problem.
      >

      > All voltage at various test point was checked to be o.k. The next
      > step was to test board to pc serial communication.
      >
      > Booting up the old P3 900mHZ PC with dos6.22 startup disk in drive
      A.
      > Run term.exe, pc echo UART to be 16550.
      >
      > By power up the DROint4 board, the massage *** Welcome to yadro-
      > land*** appeared.
      >
      > No further response from here after, only a blinking cursor.
      >

      > I have do the following in troubleshooting on the problem
      >
      > 1. Loop back test on com1. Term console echo back the keystroke,
      no
      > problem with com port run at 19200 8 N 1 I presume!
      >
      > 2. A simple ¡°hello world¡± program was burn to ATtiny2313 to
      checked
      > for error in process while burning. Led flash as it should.
      >
      > It also a good time to be familiarize with ponyprog/TwinAVR at
      this
      > time with erase, verify, fuses function at this time of cause not
      the
      > LOCK bits and others that lock out chip from further ISP
      programming.

      > 3. The two opto isolator OK1,OK2 was swap so be sure that both
      TX,RX
      > would work. Term console still show welcome massage.
      >

      > Circuit board was check and re-check I could not find any error
      apart
      > from a few that I found and correct before this.
      >
      > I have tried to subscribe to nick's newsletter to enhance my
      > knowledge but had no feedback from his side.
      >
      > Not sure this is the correct place to post question on electronics
      > but no much of info I could find from the web.
      >
      > Your insight on this problem will be much appreciated.
      >

      > Regards,
      >
      > LT LOO
      >
      > Malaysia
      >

      > ,

      You need an oscilliscope to check the inputs and outputs of the
      operational amplifiers of IC3 and IC4 are receiving and sending
      signals to the ATtiny2313 as a first step to fault finding. You can
      use it to check the inputs and outputs to the isolators as well.

      Martin
    • lthium2
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2008
        > You need an oscilliscope to check the inputs and outputs of the
        > operational amplifiers of IC3 and IC4 are receiving and sending
        > signals to the ATtiny2313 as a first step to fault finding. You can
        > use it to check the inputs and outputs to the isolators as well.
        >
        > Martin

        Hi Martin,

        Yes, I do have a osc'scope. The output of caliper/scale did appear at
        the attiny2313.
        No, when probe around pin2,3 of 2313 serial communacation, all could
        see is a 5V high level and some ripple riding on top of it. it's a dual
        channel 40Mhz analog scope that i'm using. Probing around with two of
        logic probe, most pins of 2313 would have "high" status. I would expect
        some of it could have some "pluse".

        Lester Caine of Model Engineers Digital Workshop - http://medw.co.uk//
        suggested me to tie all handshke pin on com port. That didn't works as
        well.

        Regards,
        LT LOO
      • lthium2
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2008
          Problem solved.

          OK guys, for those who like to know. The problem was trace down to Pin5
          of OK2 being route to the wrong ground plane! and it's my fault!

          Marry X'mas folks!

          Regards,
          LT LOO