DRO advice

  • Jack Houriet
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2008
      There's been a lot of good information about DROs on this list. I'm
      finally ready to make a purchase and the place where I planned to buy
      seems to be history. (SMW Precision on ebay.) They had what looked to
      be a nice 3 axis kit for my belt driven, round post Enco RF-30 type
      machine at a reasonable price - about 450 if I recall.

      The Meister units discussed earlier look very nice but are out of my
      budget. Don't want to spend much more in the DRO than I paid for the
      mill itself!

      Been looking at a DRO from www.cdcotools.com which adds up to about 450
      with 3 scales. The only disadvantage seems to be it does not have the
      brackets the SMW kit would have had.

      Any words of wisdom before I click the check-out button?

      Thanks,
      Jack
    • pjamesanderson
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 30, 2008
        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Houriet" <jhouriet@...>
        wrote:

        > There's been a lot of good information about DROs on this list.
        I'm
        > finally ready to make a purchase and the place where I planned to
        buy
        > seems to be history. (SMW Precision on ebay.) They had what looked
        > be a nice 3 axis kit for my belt driven, round post Enco RF-30
        type
        > machine at a reasonable price - about 450 if I recall.
        >
        > The Meister units discussed earlier look very nice but are out of
        my
        > budget. Don't want to spend much more in the DRO than I paid for
        the
        > mill itself!
        >
        > Been looking at a DRO from www.cdcotools.com which adds up to
        about 450
        > with 3 scales. The only disadvantage seems to be it does not have
        the
        > brackets the SMW kit would have had.
        >
        > Any words of wisdom before I click the check-out button?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Jack
        >Hi Jack.Is this the unit that is at the top of the webpage? If so,
        this is the same kit that I purchased last week off ebay. Different
        company but the same unit although mine is only a 2 axis. Won it for
        360.00, pretty good deal I thought.You can choose the length of
        scales that you need and the seller was very helpful with great
        communication and super fast shipping. I live in Canada and was
        impressed with this fellas shipping! Anyway, you will be impressed
        with the quality I think. Mine arrived on Friday and I could not
        believe the weight of the kit. The dro display is a robust unit with
        an aluminum housing and tons of features. The scales are glass units
        that appear to be of good quality with armoured cables. The scale
        mounting instructions are a little vague but if you go to DROPRO
        website you can view their instructions online which use a similar
        scale. All in all, I'm happy with the initial quality of my purchase
        but have not installed them as of yet. The dro support arm is of a
        heavy duty quality also. I'll be mounting mine on an IH clone and
        using a digital caliper type scale on the quill. It has an spc data
        output so I can use the dro from my mini mill for the third axis
        display when needed. I have the 3 axis display from SMW on my mini
        mill. I purchased it early in 2007. It has not given me a lick of
        trouble but there is no comparison in quality between the unit you
        are looking at and the smw. The smw uses a plastic display with
        limited features and caliper type scales. Nothing wrong with that,
        but just not the same quality. Anyway, from an initial quality
        standpoint, I think you will be impressed......Pete
      • Curt Wuollet
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 30, 2008
          The brackets really don't seem like
          anything you can't make on the mill