Re: [mill_drill] My RF30 is supposed to arrive tomorrow....

  • Skip Evans
    Message 1 of 12 , May 3, 2001
      I had this problem when I received my mill/drill. Luckily, a friend had a
      small hydraulic table that would go from about 1 ft off the ground up to
      about 40". We were able to tilt the mill enough to get the table under it.
      We place two round bars under the mill while it was on the table. When we go
      to the bench, we rolled the mill off the table.

      >From: Al Patrick <arp@...>
      >To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [mill_drill] My RF30 is supposed to arrive tomorrow....
      >Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 08:41:16 -0400
      >
      >jsteimle@... wrote:
      >
      > > My RF30 is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Since the weight is
      > > listed at
      > > almost 700 pounds I'm a little anxious about how to move it.
      > >
      > > I am having it delivered to my work so I can get it forklifted
      > > into
      > > the back of my truck. I can back my truck up to my garage which
      > > will
      > > be its new home.
      > >
      > > I can borrow a large metal ramp from work that I hope to be
      > > able to
      > > slowly slide the mill still on the shipping pallet down to the
      > > floor.
      > >
      > > What I have not figured out is how to get it up on the stand.
      > >
      > > Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
      > >
      > > Jeff
      >
      >Jeff,
      >
      >You may also be able to borrow a motor puller from a small
      >garage. Some have about a 4000 cylinder, but only about 2000
      >lift rating. That is with the boom all the way IN. As you go
      >out to the max on them it may only lift about 400 or 500 # so be
      >careful about overloading it at full extension. Also, be sure
      >the legs are extended past the point of attachment on the boom!
      >This prevents tipping over forward.
      >
      >Another possibility might be attaching a chain fall or
      >come-a-long to the ceiling and then removing it when finished.
      >
      >3) If you're not too far from a business with a fork lift you
      >might be able to get someone to run by and just sit it on the
      >bench with a fork lift -- since you did say it was going in the
      >garage, I'm assuming there'd be no trouble getting a fork lift in
      >it.
      >
      >Al
      >--
      >The truth is "hate" --
      >to those who HATE the truth!

    • David Burger
      Message 2 of 12 , May 5, 2001
        I had the machine shipped to the truck terminal where they loaded it onto my
        half tom pick-up. At home, I used an engine lift with spreaders to lift the
        crate, drove the truck out from under and set the crate on the screened
        porch. I removed the motor from the head, the head from the column, the
        tables from the base.(Miami is warm all the time) Then, using the engine
        lift I put the base-colum assembly on the table in the shop. This required
        making a lift block and ring that fit in the base so no twisting was applied
        to the column. With help, I then lifted the head onto the column. The rest
        was easy. It took about a week of part time, after-work, effort. Part of the
        fun experience and well worth the opportunity to libricate everything.

        This stuff is heavy. don't stand under any of it and be careful about the
        strength of eye-bolts and other fixtures you fabricate. Use good strong LOAD
        RATED chain. You don't want a cheap bent eye-bolt opening as you apply lift.
        Use solid, forged accessories to do the job.
      • Ken
        Message 3 of 12 , May 7, 2001
          You can purchase those tables from HF for a few hundred dollars.

          Ken
          av8or@...
          kring@...
          av8or_cfi@...