New DRO Z Axis mount for the G0484

  • Denis
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2008
      Hi All,
      For those of you who viewed the photos of my original Z Axis mount
      for the Grizzly G0484 mill and are thinking of duplicating it, DON'T.
      It FLOPPS around to much. It moves from side to side and the DRO
      shows it. I originaly used 3/4" angle aluminum to attach the sensor
      to the quill. The 3/4" angle aluminum had alot of twist and also
      telegraphed vibrations into the sensor. The DRO readout bounced
      around alot to the point I had to turn off the machine to get a good
      reading.

      The original photos can be found in "Denis's G0484 DRO" folder in the
      photo section. View these as an example of "what NOT to do".

      I have since made a new one that works very well. The sensor is now
      attached to a 1/2" chunk of aluminum that slides on two 1/4" drill
      rods. I drilled it out and stuck 4 bronze bushings for the rods to
      ride in. I also replaced the 3/4 angled aluminum with a 7/8" solid
      piece of aluminum, very rigid. I don't have anymore up and down
      movement of the sensor when the quill is locked unlike my original
      mount.

      It runs very smoothly and is very rigid, no more vibrations and I
      don't have to shut off the machine to get a reading.

      I've uploaded a few photos of it in the folder named "New G0484 DRO Z
      Axis".

      Any suggestions/improvements/simplifications are welcome.

      Thanks
      Denis
    • Gary Davison
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 7, 2008
        Very good Denis....I'll give that a try on my 519...but first I'll
        have to go to the city to get some material.

        Thanks

        Gary

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Denis" <zapvss@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        > For those of you who viewed the photos of my original Z Axis mount
        > for the Grizzly G0484 mill and are thinking of duplicating it,
        DON'T.
        > It FLOPPS around to much. It moves from side to side and the DRO
        > shows it. I originaly used 3/4" angle aluminum to attach the sensor
        > to the quill. The 3/4" angle aluminum had alot of twist and also
        > telegraphed vibrations into the sensor. The DRO readout bounced
        > around alot to the point I had to turn off the machine to get a
        good
        > reading.
        >
        > The original photos can be found in "Denis's G0484 DRO" folder in
        the
        > photo section. View these as an example of "what NOT to do".
        >
        > I have since made a new one that works very well. The sensor is now
        > attached to a 1/2" chunk of aluminum that slides on two 1/4" drill
        > rods. I drilled it out and stuck 4 bronze bushings for the rods to
        > ride in. I also replaced the 3/4 angled aluminum with a 7/8" solid
        > piece of aluminum, very rigid. I don't have anymore up and down
        > movement of the sensor when the quill is locked unlike my original
        > mount.
        >
        > It runs very smoothly and is very rigid, no more vibrations and I
        > don't have to shut off the machine to get a reading.
        >
        > I've uploaded a few photos of it in the folder named "New G0484 DRO
        > Axis".
        >
        > Any suggestions/improvements/simplifications are welcome.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Denis

      • Denis
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 2008
          Gary,
          I've just uploaded to the "Files" section under the "!G0484 Z Axis DRO
          Guide" folder measured drawings I used to make the slide.

          Denis

          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Davison" <gld@...> wrote:

          > Very good Denis....I'll give that a try on my 519...but first I'll
          > have to go to the city to get some material.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Gary

        • Gary Davison
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 8, 2008