Re: [mill_drill] Best Way to Lift RF 45 Clone

  • DK Duncan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 7, 2008
      On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 20:20:49 -0000
      "Scott Hogsten" <scotthogsten@...> wrote:

      > Been reading scroll back and I'm still a little unclear on the best
      > way to lift the mill onto the stand (in one piece). Is the Z axis
      > (locked) strong enough or should I fashion something to pass
      > underneath and lift from the base ?

      I have a non-clone RF45. The placard indicates 330kg (727lb). I used
      an engine hoist to lift it. I used several heavy 2" ratchet tie-downs
      rather than chains to support the mill. I supported it primarily from
      the head using two straps with some other straps beneath for redundancy
      and stabilization.

      ~Don
      ------------
    • Stan Stocker
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 7, 2008
        Hi Scott,

        I used an engine crane and seat belt webbing in two tied off loops under
        the head.

        The head was lowered and locked and the table centered. Once the load
        is pretty well balanced, small tweaks can be made by moving the table.

        This applies to a round column mill drill, I don't know if the head lock
        is as solid on a square column. It probably is, but I've never dropped
        a load because I tend to not lift unless I'm darn sure things will go as
        planned.

        Cheers,
        Stan

        Scott Hogsten wrote:
        > Been reading scroll back and I'm still a little unclear on the best
        > way to lift the mill onto the stand (in one piece). Is the Z axis
        > (locked) strong enough or should I fashion something to pass
        > underneath and lift from the base ?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Scott

      • fignoggle
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 7, 2008
          you can also just lift the entire rf45/stand in one piece (assuming it's
          the standard sheet metal stand) with one of those 2-ton folding engine
          hoists.

          until then, as stan mentioned, a strap (like the purple one from harbor
          freight) wrapped under the head is fine.

          good luck!
          david

          --
          CNC, Plans/Kits, 8x12 Lathe, Mini-Mill, How-Tos <http://www.fignoggle.com>
          Sieg X3/Super X3 Mill Information, HF/Enco Coupons <http://www.superx3.com>

          On Mon, 7 Jul 2008, Stan Stocker wrote:

          > Hi Scott,
          >
          > I used an engine crane and seat belt webbing in two tied off loops under
          > the head.
          >
          > The head was lowered and locked and the table centered. Once the load
          > is pretty well balanced, small tweaks can be made by moving the table.
          >
          > This applies to a round column mill drill, I don't know if the head lock
          > is as solid on a square column. It probably is, but I've never dropped
          > a load because I tend to not lift unless I'm darn sure things will go as
          > planned.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Stan
          >
          > Scott Hogsten wrote:
          >> Been reading scroll back and I'm still a little unclear on the best
          >> way to lift the mill onto the stand (in one piece). Is the Z axis
          >> (locked) strong enough or should I fashion something to pass
          >> underneath and lift from the base ?
          >>
          >> Thanks
          >>
          >> Scott

        • Alan Wright
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 8, 2008
            Some manufacturers of RF45's say not to lift from the
            head. However, IH suggests doing just that.

            I got the rather wide IH stand with wheels, and found
            that my shop crane would not allow the stand to get
            underneath the mill, since the stand collided with the
            shop crane legs. So I bought a gantry style crane and
            hand winch from Northern Tool, which made the job easy
            with just a strap under the head.

            The nice feature of the gantry crane is that it straddles
            a full size pickup, and can lift large items much higher
            than a shop crane. So it can be used for general loading
            and unloading of a truck. Also takes up surprisingly little
            space, and rolls around on its own wheels.

            Alan

            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Hogsten" <scotthogsten@...>
            wrote:

            > Been reading scroll back and I'm still a little unclear on the best
            > way to lift the mill onto the stand (in one piece). Is the Z axis
            > (locked) strong enough or should I fashion something to pass
            > underneath and lift from the base ?
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Scott

          • Scott Hogsten
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 9, 2008
              I finally got it on the stand today. I had a couple of challenges and
              thought I might share. I had a hard time getting the base to come
              loose from the pallet. I ended up jacking and blocking the the pallet
              until I could slide and engine crane underneath. For lifting I ended
              up with three straps on it two around the column and another going
              forward to catch the front edge of the mill. The one going forward let
              me trim the mill level it wasn't there to carry weight. The engine
              hoist I rented had very narrow gap between the legs so I had to get
              creative. I used two 6x6's under the center of the stand to support it
              plus a transmission jack under the front for some side to side
              stability. I set the mill on the stand. It was fairly secure but it
              did seem tippy so pulled the hoist away and used a floor jack to raise
              the opposite in and get a 6x6 sideways. Then it was just a matter of
              lifting it and lowering it 3/4 and inch at a time.

              The stand is a bit low for my tastes I'm definitely going to have to
              raise it some. Any thought on good ways to do that ? I was thinking of
              using the 6x6's and cutting a cup like area to catch the hockey puck
              feet. Once I find a height I like I'm not adverse to pouring a
              concrete pad under neath bit I need to figure how high I want it first.

              Scott