RF30 - X backlash- insanely huge amount

  • lkasdorf
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
      I am cleaning up my RF-30 for sale. One real glaring things wrong with
      it is the amount of slop in X. As I recall, it is about two complete
      turns of the handle. Maybe more.

      I figure I'll take the table off anyway (I want to clean it up), so
      I'll have a chance to do something about the cheesy acme nut that is
      in there.

      Suggestions?

      (By the way, I am in northern VA in case anybody might be interested
      in the machine).
    • Ray Livingston
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
        Two turns is not a problem with the nut. You must have a lot of slop
        in the leadscrew bearing. Try tightening that up first, it's usually
        done with the nut on the handwheel.

        Regards,
        Ray L.

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "lkasdorf" <ironandsteel@...> wrote:

        > I am cleaning up my RF-30 for sale. One real glaring things wrong with
        > it is the amount of slop in X. As I recall, it is about two complete
        > turns of the handle. Maybe more.
        >
        > I figure I'll take the table off anyway (I want to clean it up), so
        > I'll have a chance to do something about the cheesy acme nut that is
        > in there.
        >
        > Suggestions?
        >
        > (By the way, I am in northern VA in case anybody might be interested
        > in the machine).

      • leasingham_connelly
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Livingston" <jagboy1964@...>
          wrote:

          > Two turns is not a problem with the nut. You must have a lot of
          slop
          > in the leadscrew bearing. Try tightening that up first, it's
          usually
          > done with the nut on the handwheel.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Ray L.

          Two turns is more than one pitch of the thread so I agree with Ray
          that the table/leadscrew interface wants looking at. I would add
          that the nut to saddle connection may also be worn or loose.

          Fixing the table to leadscrew interface on my mill made a big
          difference to the backlash.

          Martin

          > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "lkasdorf" <ironandsteel@>
          wrote:

          > > I am cleaning up my RF-30 for sale. One real glaring things
          wrong with
          > > it is the amount of slop in X. As I recall, it is about two
          complete
          > > turns of the handle. Maybe more.
          > >
          > > I figure I'll take the table off anyway (I want to clean it up),
          so
          > > I'll have a chance to do something about the cheesy acme nut
          that is
          > > in there.
          > >
          > > Suggestions?
          > >
          > > (By the way, I am in northern VA in case anybody might be
          interested
          > > in the machine).

        • Dan Mauch
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
            I have found on some units that the problem is that the thrust collar is secured in place by a split pin. On some units this is drill and pin ned in such a location as to cause excessive thrust which results in backlash.
            You can check this by watching the thrust collar as you rotate the hand wheel two turns in each direction. If a gap open between the end plate and the thrust collar then that is most likely the source of most of the slop
            Dan Mauch
            economical 3D scanner software and kits
            low cost stepper and servo motors.
            cases for Gecko drives
            kits and assembled 3-4 axis drives
            www.camtronics-cnc.com
            www.seanet.com/~dmauch
            > Two turns is not a problem with the nut. You must have a lot of
            slop
            > in the leadscrew bearing. Try tightening that up first, it's
            usually
            > done with the nut on the handwheel.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Ray L.

            Two turns is more than one pitch of the thread so I agree with Ray
            that the table/leadscrew interface wants looking at. I would add
            that the nut to saddle connection may also be worn or loose.

            Fixing the table to leadscrew interface on my mill made a big
            difference to the backlash.

            Martin

            > --- In mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com, "lkasdorf" <ironandsteel@ >
            wrote:

            > > I am cleaning up my RF-30 for sale. One real glaring things
            wrong with
            > > it is the amount of slop in X. As I recall, it is about two
            complete
            > > turns of the handle. Maybe more.
            > >
            > > I figure I'll take the table off anyway (I want to clean it up),
            so
            > > I'll have a chance to do something about the cheesy acme nut
            that is
            > > in there.
            > >
            > > Suggestions?
            > >
            > > (By the way, I am in northern VA in case anybody might be
            interested
            > > in the machine).

          • Art Eckstein

              > Two turns is not a problem with the nut. You must have a lot of
              slop
              > in the leadscrew bearing. Try tightening that up first, it's
              usually
              > done with the nut on the handwheel.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Ray L.

              Two turns is more than one pitch of the thread so I agree with Ray
              that the table/leadscrew interface wants looking at. I would add
              that the nut to saddle connection may also be worn or loose.

              Fixing the table to leadscrew interface on my mill made a big
              difference to the backlash.

              Martin

              > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "lkasdorf" <ironandsteel@>
              wrote:

              > > I am cleaning up my RF-30 for sale. One real glaring things
              wrong with
              > > it is the amount of slop in X. As I recall, it is about two
              complete
              > > turns of the handle. Maybe more.
              > >
              > > I figure I'll take the table off anyway (I want to clean it up),
              so
              > > I'll have a chance to do something about the cheesy acme nut
              that is
              > > in there.
              > >
              > > Suggestions?
              > >
              > > (By the way, I am in northern VA in case anybody might be
              interested
              > > in the machine).

              Thought for Today:
              "The trouble with practical jokes is that very often they get elected."
              (Will Rogers)

            • fignoggle
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
                hi-

                doesn't the rf30 also have a split-nut that can be adjusted from under the
                base? or table?

                if not, just take the nut out and split it yourself with a hacksaw/bandsaw
                and then drill tap two holes on either side of the centerline of the
                leadscrew (only on one half of the split-nut). as you drive the set screws
                into the other half, it'll take up some slack.

                http://www.fignoggle.com/machines/x2mill/howTo-antiBacklashNut.htm

                hope this helps!
                david

                --
                Free photo storage for hobbyists - share pics! <http://www.hobbysnap.com>
                MetalWorkingFAQ.NET - Over 50 content sites! <http://www.metalworkingfaq.net>

                On Wed, 2 Jul 2008, lkasdorf wrote:

                > I am cleaning up my RF-30 for sale. One real glaring things wrong with
                > it is the amount of slop in X. As I recall, it is about two complete
                > turns of the handle. Maybe more.
                >
                > I figure I'll take the table off anyway (I want to clean it up), so
                > I'll have a chance to do something about the cheesy acme nut that is
                > in there.
                >
                > Suggestions?
                >
                > (By the way, I am in northern VA in case anybody might be interested
                > in the machine).

              • imogal1
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 13, 2008
                  wrote:

                  > I am cleaning up my RF-30 for sale. One real glaring things wrong
                  with
                  > it is the amount of slop in X. As I recall, it is about two complete
                  > turns of the handle. Maybe more.
                  >
                  > I figure I'll take the table off anyway (I want to clean it up), so
                  > I'll have a chance to do something about the cheesy acme nut that is
                  > in there.
                  >
                  > Suggestions?
                  >
                  > (By the way, I am in northern VA in case anybody might be interested
                  > in the machine).

                  Hi, I 'JUST' picked up an RF-30 or 31, not sure which one yet lol.
                  It had/has the same issue with a huge amount of backlash on the X...
                  When I started to dismantle the table, I noticed that the ACME nut
                  retaining bolts where loose, and almost fell out...<gasp!>

                  So.. maybe start looking there... and yea, those acme nuts
                  are
                  pretty bad huh?! lol... well, yea always need a first project huh?!
                  lol.

                  HTH,
                  Chris