Re: [mill_drill] Re: Was (e: Mill Has Arrived) Is: Steel Stand

  • C.S. Mo
    Message 1 of 69 , Jun 3, 2008
      Well, the weight of the mill and the rest of the stand is about 1,000lbs
      or so... With 2x2x.25 tubing, supported at the ends, with the ends free,
      deflection at the center would be roughly .086", which would translate
      into being "springy". A simple hockey puck foot in the middle would make
      a huge difference though.

      Also, for the type of loading that you're looking at, a 1x3x.125 would
      be less springy than a 2x2x1/4 (deflection ~.040). A 30" span, 2x2x1/4,
      deflection would be ~0.020. 30" span, 2x2x1/8 would be ~0.040.

      (These figures aren't entirely accurate as the weight is not all exactly
      centered. Assuming that the 48" wide piece is welded to the bottom of
      the drawer assembly, you're actually looking at the springiness of the
      distance between the side of the drawer assembly and the foot..)

      With a hockey puck foot in the middle, deflection would be essentially 0
      regardless of the span.

      Unfortunately I don't recall the exact width of the bottom of my stand,
      but it was around 24-30" and it was quite tall - at least 8-10" taller
      than the stock stand. It was very stable.

      --C.S.

    • rgsparber@aol.com
      Message 69 of 69 , Jun 7, 2008
        Glenn,

        Ah, now I see. Yes, 3" of plywood is substantial!

        Rick
        rgsparber@...
        web site: http://rick.sparber.org

        In a message dated 6/6/2008 11:21:07 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
        sleykin@... writes:

        Rick,
        The backboard is not structural at all. Just held on by shelf brackets. I
        think the main stifness comes from the 3" or so of plywood. The mill is only
        fastened to the top and not to the steel frame. The part under the top is
        an "H" section on edge... It is fairly heavy tube but it was what I had in the
        scrap bin.

        As far as the height goes .. I am 5' 9" and it is most comfortable to sit on
        a short stool in front of the mill. Without the power crossfeed and DRO it
        would be too low to read the dials comfortably. The way it is it works great
        for me and I can still reach the head with it cranked up all the way.

        Glenn

        Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.