Re: [mill_drill] Re: Harbor Freight sale

  • Rex Burkheimer - WM
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 3, 2002
      > I kind of think that if I paid $10+ for new Bridgeport I would expect
      > it to be quiet or at least not objectionable.

      For $10 I would expect it to be scrap!
    • philteague
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 4, 2002
        I kind of think that if I paid $10+ for new Bridgeport I would expect
        it to be quiet or at least not objectionable.

        > When I took a machning class at the local JC, I was suprised
        > at how quiet Bridgeports are. I expected something
        > that big to make a lot of noise.... of course they can be
        > made to make noise by inexperienced students botching gear shifts
        between
        > low and high range.
        >
        > Eric
      • jcgerb
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 4, 2002
          John,

          I partly agree with you, but I changed the belt tension system. Look on the following page:  http://www.homestead.com/turnandmill/Dril_Mill_machine_01.html
          Since then I change as often as neede for the work I do; it takes half a minute to do it.

          Jean-Claude, Switzerland

          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 4, 2002
            Phil;

            I'm drooling! Where's this stash of $10 Bridgeports? I'll go $20 for
            one in the crate.

            Sorry, I'm usually the one that leaves the K off :-)

            Stan

            philteague wrote:

            > I kind of think that if I paid $10+ for new Bridgeport I would expect
            > it to be quiet or at least not objectionable.

            <snipped>
          • ballendo
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 4, 2002
              Randy,

              And you have 12 speeds, to their 6... And a higher top speed.

              Ballendo (belt drive advocate)

              --- In mill_drill@y..., "Randy" <rpedersen@k...> wrote:
              > Eric:
              >
              > I had a gear head drill press and the happiest day of my life
              is when I
              > got rid of it and purchased a new Wilton belt drive. My hobby is
              not run as
              > a production shop and so a little time spent changing speeds is no
              problem
              > compared to the miserable noise of the higher rpm's of gear head
              machine. I
              > just purchased a used Enco belt drive mill drill at an auction this
              winter
              > and the last owner had just put on new belts (he thought they
              looked old and
              > figured the mill would bring more with new belts) and it is quiet
              and
              > vibration free. I know this will bring the wrath of the gear head
              lovers but
              > I prefer the sound of metal chips being machined off to that of the
              gears
              > whining.
              >
              > Randy Pedersen
              > Atlas 618
              > South Bend 9" A
              > South Bend 9" C
              > Enco Mill Drill Model 1100
              > Salina, KS
              > rpedersen@k...

            • dra1002
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 4, 2002
                John,
                The 3 speeds in lo range are : 95, 175, and 310 RPM.
                In comparing this mill/drill to my friends HF belt drive machine, my
                feeling is that this it is better suited to 3/8" and larger mills
                when used for machining tuff stuff like steel. This is because of
                the lower speed range. I do not like to use lubricants unless
                absolutly necessary and the lower speeds let me get by on most of my
                projects without them. If I was doing a lot of work with small
                cutters or mostly maching materials like aluminum, plastic or wood,
                I would recommend the belt drive because of the higher speeds
                available..

                I purchased this machine after seeing a friends HF belt drive
                mill/drill. I figured that if the gearhead machine was as good a
                value as the belt drive machine, it would be a good deal. I WAS NOT
                DISAPPOINTED.

                Dennis

                In mill_drill@y..., "John Walters" <jwalters3@k...> wrote:
                > What are the 3 speeds in the low range. Describe the quality of
                the machine compared
                > to the Harbor Freight belt mill-drill.
              • Art Eckstein
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 4, 2002
                  Hi,
                  If I can butt in here on this with another way to avoid the hassle of belt changes and keep the advantages of the belted machine.
                  I bought one of the 2HP Internet specials from dealers electric which included a 2HP inverter rated motor and a VFD. I now have a range of 111 to 2220 rpm with NO belt changes. Just a twist of a pot. When I made the change to the American made motor, I had to get a new pulley for the shaft as it is 7/8" not 22 mm the old motor was. With a simple belt change now, I can have speed ranges from to 3000 rpm and could vary that more, if I were to raise the max frequency to say 120 HZ. It is now set at 100 HZ.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 4, 2002
                    Art, what was the cost of your "internet 2HP special"?

                    Thank you in advance.

                    Ballendo

                    P.S. Steve R, how about your Leeson setup cost?

                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 4, 2002
                      Ballendo,
                      I got it for $359 (plus shipping, about  $26) at:
                      http://WWW.DEALERSELECTRIC.COM/

                      So far, I am real please with it. The base was a bolt in for the mount on the RF31 with the only problem as noted was the difference in shaft size and I had to get a pulley at a local indrustial supply house (not what I wanted, but wanted to get it up and running and am happy with what I got!)

                    • pherdie1
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 4, 2002
                        Art, two questions please:

                        1) Does the motor suffer from low torque at low rpm and..
                        2) Does the motor get hot when loaded at low rpm???

                        It would seem that at low speed the motor fan isn't pulling nearly as
                        much air to cool and the motor is running least efficient??? If you
                        look at the new Rong Fu's, they appear to be using both inverter
                        drives and belts as a compromise..

                        Fred

                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 5, 2002
                          At 04:50 AM 2/5/02 +0000, you wrote:
                          Art, two questions please:

                          1) Does the motor suffer from low torque at low rpm and..

                          Yes, it does; but there are also programmable voltage curves that can boost the low end to improve the torque. Right now, I have it set to the middle of the 3 torque boost curves, but have not had a chance to really test the situation. Hope to this weekend.

                          2) Does the motor get hot when loaded at low rpm???

                          Not so far, as I have not really loaded it for an extended period of time. However in discussion with a former instructor at the local Tech school, it seems the fan is oversized for just that reason. (This is a TEFC motor). If it starts to give me problems next summer, I plan on adding a separate powered fan for the purpose of keeping the motor cool.

                          It would seem that at low speed the motor fan isn't pulling nearly as
                          much air to cool and the motor is running least efficient??? If you
                          look at the new Rong Fu's, they appear to be using both inverter
                          drives and belts as a compromise..

                          That in essence is what I have done setting the belt to a position that should satisfy 90% (at least) of the rpm range needed.

                          Fred

                        • Steve Roberts
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 5, 2002
                            I would have to dig into my companies histerical records to get at the
                            LESSON cost along with motor and timing (toothed) pullies and belt. I will
                            do so if you so wish but they are last years prices. What we did do was also
                            instal a REMOTE unit to the LESSON controler thus I can operate from both
                            the headstock or tailstock end of the machine. Let me know if you want me to
                            dig?
                            Regards
                            Steve Roberts
                            Professional Engineer
                            grizzlyplans.com

                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 6, 2002
                              Steve,

                              I've seen some hysterical company records myself :-)

                              I'd consider this a "round tuit" request... Just might be worth
                              knowing what this mod costs, when comparing it with other solutions.

                              Thank you,

                              Ballendo

                              --- In mill_drill@y..., "Steve Roberts" <sr888@e...> wrote:
                              > I would have to dig into my companies histerical records to get at
                              the
                              > LESSON cost along with motor and timing (toothed) pullies and belt.
                              I will
                              > do so if you so wish but they are last years prices. What we did do
                              was also
                              > instal a REMOTE unit to the LESSON controler thus I can operate
                              from both
                              > the headstock or tailstock end of the machine. Let me know if you
                              want me to
                              > dig?
                              > Regards
                              > Steve Roberts