Re: Mill Drill Adjustment

  • philteague
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2002
      --- In mill_drill@y..., "wmgeorge2002" <billgeorge@h...> wrote:
      > My mistake... it was 3/16 steel plate with the 3/8" 4 flute
      > endmill. Is this to thick to cut in one past with this machine??
      > Thanks Again. B.G.

      No, I don't think it is too thick to do in one pass. On the shopswarf
      chart I referred to in my last post it says that depending on the size
      of the slot you are milling divided by the diameter of the endmill,
      you will vary the cutting speed. I have tended to run my endmills less
      than the calculated rpm and then vary the feed until it sounds ok. In
      other words lower the speed and increase the feed just like you would
      do on a lathe.

      Phil Teague
    • ballendo
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2002
        Phil,

        The shopswarf link didn't work for me. It could be that the site is
        temp. down, but could you ck for me please.

        Thank you in advance.

        Ballendo

        --- In mill_drill@y..., "philteague" <philteague@y...> wrote:
        > --- In mill_drill@y..., "wmgeorge2002" <billgeorge@h...> wrote:
        > > My mistake... it was 3/16 steel plate with the 3/8" 4 flute
        > > endmill. Is this to thick to cut in one past with this machine??
        > > Thanks Again. B.G.
        > >

        > No, I don't think it is too thick to do in one pass. On the
        shopswarf
        > chart I referred to in my last post it says that depending on the
        size
        > of the slot you are milling divided by the diameter of the endmill,
        > you will vary the cutting speed. I have tended to run my endmills
        less
        > than the calculated rpm and then vary the feed until it sounds ok.
        In
        > other words lower the speed and increase the feed just like you
        would
        > do on a lathe.
        >
        > Phil Teague
      • philteague