CNC, what do I need, What do I do??

  • nutz2144
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2008
      Have a geared head HF Mill\drill. I am very adept at manual machining
      but would like to "Learn" and convert my mill to a CNC, well, because
      it would be cool, a learning experience, cool, would be able to make
      anything, cool, could use it for engraving, and did I mention it would
      be cool.. I know nothing, let me repeat that, "NOTHING" about CNC
      except I need a PC, which as a PC Tech I have many, some stepper
      motors, what ever those are (some type of motor I'm guessing), and
      other stuff. Oh yeah, I need a G-code or something too along with ball
      screws??? Now I'm just sitting here thinking, "someone out there has
      to have a kit for these mills" Just make a few mounting brackets to
      get things to fit and throw it in and presto, CNC. I'm actually more
      interested in learning the programming of CNC than the retrofit of the
      machine at this point, so any help would be appreciated.
      Thanks, Richard...
    • warren_read
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2008
        Hi Richard,

        Everything you could ever want to know about CNC and few things you
        probably didn't want to know can be found here
        http://www.cnczone.com/forums/index.php

        Warren
      • iqc4unme
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2008
          That site is a great place to pick up CNC info! I hang out there as well.
          :)

          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "warren_read" <jaz@...> wrote:

          > Hi Richard,
          >
          > Everything you could ever want to know about CNC and few things you
          > probably didn't want to know can be found here
          > http://www.cnczone.com/forums/index.php
          >
          > Warren

        • Paul
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2, 2008
            You could always join this Yahoo group:

            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "nutz2144" <nutz2144@...> wrote:

            > Have a geared head HF Mill\drill. I am very adept at manual machining
            > but would like to "Learn" and convert my mill to a CNC, well, because
            > it would be cool, a learning experience, cool, would be able to make
            > anything, cool, could use it for engraving, and did I mention it would
            > be cool.. I know nothing, let me repeat that, "NOTHING" about CNC
            > except I need a PC, which as a PC Tech I have many, some stepper
            > motors, what ever those are (some type of motor I'm guessing), and
            > other stuff. Oh yeah, I need a G-code or something too along with ball
            > screws??? Now I'm just sitting here thinking, "someone out there has
            > to have a kit for these mills" Just make a few mounting brackets to
            > get things to fit and throw it in and presto, CNC. I'm actually more
            > interested in learning the programming of CNC than the retrofit of the
            > machine at this point, so any help would be appreciated.
            > Thanks, Richard...

          • jeff200648
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
              Richard
              Have you checked out www.cnczone.com and for drives & motors you can
              get a package from www.kelinginc.net he has great support, good
              products at reasonable prices.You will prob have to make your own
              brackets. Not to much programing going on anymore. Draw it in cad
              send it to cam program and it converts it to G-code (the language to
              run the mill) and basically your ready to go.
              For controller you cant beat mach 3 (www.artofcnc.com)<software for
              the computer to make it all work>.
              Jeff

              -- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <pfrederick1@...> wrote:

              > You could always join this Yahoo group:

              > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "nutz2144" <nutz2144@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Have a geared head HF Mill\drill. I am very adept at manual
              machining
              > > but would like to "Learn" and convert my mill to a CNC, well,
              because
              > > it would be cool, a learning experience, cool, would be able to
              make
              > > anything, cool, could use it for engraving, and did I mention it
              would
              > > be cool.. I know nothing, let me repeat that, "NOTHING" about CNC
              > > except I need a PC, which as a PC Tech I have many, some stepper
              > > motors, what ever those are (some type of motor I'm guessing), and
              > > other stuff. Oh yeah, I need a G-code or something too along with
              ball
              > > screws??? Now I'm just sitting here thinking, "someone out there
              has
              > > to have a kit for these mills" Just make a few mounting brackets
              > > get things to fit and throw it in and presto, CNC. I'm actually
              more
              > > interested in learning the programming of CNC than the retrofit
              of the
              > > machine at this point, so any help would be appreciated.
              > > Thanks, Richard...

            • Dan Mauch
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
                I have helped quite a few people modify their mill drills for cnc.
                Here is a link to my mill drill running on stepper motors.
                and here is another video showing the same mill drill running on servos.
                I am also working on a fix for the .020 vertical play found in most mill drill quills.
                You can contact me at the below listed email address
                Dan Mauch
                economical 3D scanner software and kits
                low cost stepper and servo motors.
                cases for Gecko drives