DC conversion

  • Leo and Olita
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 29, 2008
      I own a Harbor Freight geared mill drill and I find that the gearing is
      spaced apart in a way that much of the time I have to settle for too
      high or too low of a speed for a certain cut or hole.

      I was considering installing a VFD but came across a 1.5 hp Dayton DC
      motor complete with controller. I had wanted to get a DC motor for my X
      lathe but this motor is just overkill for it so I figured I might try
      it on the mill. Plus, amazingly, I got it brand new on Grisliest for 90
      dollars. Here it is listed on Grainer:

      http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4Z226

      I hear all the good things about the DVDs but for 90 bucks, it cant
      hurt to try the DC motor.

      Anyone have any experience with converting a Mill Drill to DC?
      Any pointers would greatly be appreciated.

    • Jerry from Anchorage
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 29, 2008
        I say "Good Score!"

        I have the 3/4 hp version of that unit on my 9x20 lathe and have zero
        complaints. I have used it for over 2 years (hobby stuff only) and
        cannot find any faults.

        As for putting it on the mill, do you think the mill will know the
        difference or mind? The only possible drawback that I can come up
        with with this DC when compared to a VFD is that the DC doesn't come
        with any braking ability.

        The variable speed on mine is very smooth, lots of power at low RPMs
        etc. The fwd/reverse is a total no brainer cuz you can't go from fwd
        to reverse inadvertently. You must stop in the off position before
        changing directions.

        I have a VFD on my G0519 mill & really like it, also. If I had the
        choice between similar hp motors and VFD or DC, I would choose the VFD
        route. That having been said, I really doubt that you could locate a
        VFD & motor for twice (maybe 3 times) what you paid for the DC. So I
        still think you got a great deal.

        Jerry in Anchorage

        http://www.akpilot.net/
      • Jerry from Anchorage
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 29, 2008
          I forgot to tell you that I looked at your pics, & wish my garage/shop
          was only as messy as yours. My DSU (Designated Spousal Unit)
          absolutely requires her car to be in the garage. Ruins all my shop
          space. Just cuz it gets down to zero F at nite, she wants her car
          inside.

          Go Figure,
          Jerry in Anchorage
        • ron Pat
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 29, 2008
            Yep next thing you know they are going to want to be
            able to vote. Make as much money as we do,,, and maybe
            the worst thing of all equal time on the TV remote.
            Things are going down hill fast

            --- Jerry from Anchorage <cooltool49@...> wrote:

            > I forgot to tell you that I looked at your pics, &
            > wish my garage/shop
            > was only as messy as yours. My DSU (Designated
            > Spousal Unit)
            > absolutely requires her car to be in the garage.
            > Ruins all my shop
            > space. Just cuz it gets down to zero F at nite, she
            > wants her car
            > inside.
            >
            > Go Figure,
            > Jerry in Anchorage

            Looking for last minute shopping deals?
          • Rexarino
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 30, 2008
              I have a smaller mill, and installed a DC variable speed motor.  I LOVE it.  No reason whatever to look at a VFD.  Excellent torque at 15-20 rpm, with a top speed (on my motor) of 3000 + rpm, so I can choose any speed I want.

              I customized a mount to put the motor in the same place as the original.

              rexarino

              On Jan 29, 2008 8:47 PM, Leo and Olita <leoblazer74@...> wrote:
              I own a Harbor Freight geared mill drill and I find that the gearing is
              spaced apart in a way that much of the time I have to settle for too
              high or too low of a speed for a certain cut or hole.

               I was considering installing a VFD but came across a 1.5 hp Dayton DC
              motor complete with controller. I had wanted to get a DC motor for my X
              lathe but this motor is just overkill for it so I figured I might try
              it on the mill. Plus, amazingly, I got it brand new on Grisliest for 90
              dollars. Here it is listed on Grainer:

              http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4Z226

              I hear all the good things about the DVDs but for 90 bucks, it cant
              hurt to try the DC motor.

              Anyone have any experience with converting a Mill Drill to DC?
              Any pointers would greatly be appreciated.

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              <*> Your email settings:
                 Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                 (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                 mailto:mill_drill-digest@yahoogroups.com
                 mailto:mill_drill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Druid Noibn

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 30, 2008
                  --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Leo and Olita" <leoblazer74@...>

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 30, 2008
                    It WAS a great score. It was some old guy out in the country that
                    probably got it for nothing, too.

                    I want to mount it on the mill and compare it to a VFD on the same
                    machine so I can see first hand on a same machine and working
                    environment which one works best.

                    Sorry about the typos on the 1st post. I am having a bout with hip
                    bursitis and had just taken two 1000 mg hydrocodone and was on almost
                    my 5th, sub-2hrs, a night sleep night in a row so I was a feeling a
                    little goofy.

                    I meant to type that I was going to put it on my 9x20 lathe but the
                    motor is almost as big as the lathe itself and I also meant to type
                    that I got it on Craigslist.

                    --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry from Anchorage"
                    <cooltool49@...> wrote:

                    > I say "Good Score!"
                    >
                    > I have the 3/4 hp version of that unit on my 9x20 lathe and have
                    zero
                    > complaints. I have used it for over 2 years (hobby stuff only) and
                    > cannot find any faults.
                    >
                    > As for putting it on the mill, do you think the mill will know the
                    > difference or mind? The only possible drawback that I can come up
                    > with with this DC when compared to a VFD is that the DC doesn't come
                    > with any braking ability.
                    >
                    > The variable speed on mine is very smooth, lots of power at low RPMs
                    > etc. The fwd/reverse is a total no brainer cuz you can't go from
                    fwd
                    > to reverse inadvertently. You must stop in the off position before
                    > changing directions.
                    >
                    > I have a VFD on my G0519 mill & really like it, also. If I had the
                    > choice between similar hp motors and VFD or DC, I would choose the
                    VFD
                    > route. That having been said, I really doubt that you could locate
                    > VFD & motor for twice (maybe 3 times) what you paid for the DC. So
                    > still think you got a great deal.
                    >
                    > Jerry in Anchorage
                    >
                    > http://www.akpilot.net/

                  • Bill Pace
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 30, 2008
                      Geez, that was thievery at $90!!

                      I scored the same Grainger set-up except in 3/4hp and put it on a
                      RF-31 and then moved it over to a 6x26. With being 3/4hp I was really
                      concerned with the power -- or lack of -- but was never really an
                      issue ... though I am strictly HSM and dont do any heavy work,-- but
                      it seems that you are too, -- and with 1 1/2hp is oughta cook.

                      With mounting it to the belt drives it was almost a bolt-up, only had
                      to make up a collar/sleeve to adapt the .625 shaft to match the metric
                      pully, removed the control box for mounting on front of machine.

                      You'll be faced with different problems with the face mount, but I
                      have seen a couple guys adapting aftermarket 3ph motors, so it ought
                      be do-able...for sure adapt the motor shaft over, and probably make up
                      a plate to get the C faced Grainger bolt pattern to match up the mill
                      pattern -----and you gonna LOVE that variable speed!!

                      wrote:

                      > It WAS a great score. It was some old guy out in the country that
                      > probably got it for nothing, too.
                      >

                      > I want to mount it on the mill and compare it to a VFD on the same
                      > machine so I can see first hand on a same machine and working
                      > environment which one works best.
                      >
                      > Sorry about the typos on the 1st post. I am having a bout with hip
                      > bursitis and had just taken two 1000 mg hydrocodone and was on almost
                      > my 5th, sub-2hrs, a night sleep night in a row so I was a feeling a
                      > little goofy.
                      >
                      > I meant to type that I was going to put it on my 9x20 lathe but the
                      > motor is almost as big as the lathe itself and I also meant to type
                      > that I got it on Craigslist.
                      >
                      > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry from Anchorage"
                      > <cooltool49@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I say "Good Score!"

                    • Jerry from Anchorage
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 30, 2008
                        The motor on my G0519 is stock. I just added the VFD.

                        Jerry in Anchorage
                      • rgsparber@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 30, 2008
                          Get well soon and PLEASE stay away from all of those powered tools in your
                          shop!

                          Also, if the computer asks you if you really want to erase your hard drive,
                          click "no" and go watch TV ;-)

                          Rick Sparber
                          rgsparber@...
                          web site: http://rick.sparber.org

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 30, 2008
                              hanks Rick!

                              I am staying away from my power tools and it SUCKS!!!

                              As tempted as I get, I would like to keep all my fingers. I should be
                              able to get back in there by tomorrow, though.

                              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, rgsparber@... wrote:

                              > Get well soon and PLEASE stay away from all of those powered tools
                              in your
                              > shop!
                              >
                              > Also, if the computer asks you if you really want to erase your
                              hard drive,
                              > click "no" and go watch TV ;-)
                              >
                              > Rick Sparber
                              > rgsparber@...
                              > web site: http://rick.sparber.org
                              >
                              > In a message dated 1/30/2008 5:30:53 A.M. US Mountain Standard
                              Time,
                              > leoblazer74@... writes:
                              >
                              > Sorry about the typos on the 1st post. I am having a bout with hip
                              > bursitis and had just taken two 1000 mg hydrocodone and was on
                              almost
                              > my 5th, sub-2hrs, a night sleep night in a row so I was a feeling
                              > little goofy.
                              >

                              > **************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in
                              shape.
                              > http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?
                              NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

                            • ekdadlec
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 30, 2008
                                Jerry,

                                Zero! That's balmy. We've had 18 below for the last few nights. They
                                predict highs in the +20s this weekend. Time to get out the short
                                sleeve shirts.

                                Ed

                                <cooltool49@...> wrote:

                                > I forgot to tell you that I looked at your pics, & wish my garage/shop
                                > was only as messy as yours. My DSU (Designated Spousal Unit)
                                > absolutely requires her car to be in the garage. Ruins all my shop
                                > space. Just cuz it gets down to zero F at nite, she wants her car
                                > inside.
                                >
                                > Go Figure,
                                > Jerry in Anchorage

                              • Curt Wuollet
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 30, 2008
                                  Do you have a DC drive for your DC motor yet?

                                  Regards
                                  cww

                                  --
                                  Franklin D. Roosevelt Wrote about that other famous monopoly in 1938:
                                  "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of
                                  private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic State
                                  itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership of government by an
                                  individual, by a group or by any controlling private power." But the
                                  conviction of Standard Oil stood. Our government is already powerless
                                  against today's monopoly. Only the people can prevail.

                                • Leo and Olita
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 30, 2008
                                    The motor is pretty much plug and play. It came with the drive bolted
                                    onto the top. I think they do that only for shipping purposes. It comes
                                    with 8 feet of cable between the drive and the motor.

                                  • Leo and Olita
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 30, 2008
                                      Thats just insane. Might as well sit and machine stuff in the
                                      freezer, it would literally be warmer in there.

                                      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "ekdadlec" <ekadlec@...> wrote:

                                      > Jerry,
                                      >
                                      > Zero! That's balmy. We've had 18 below for the last few nights. They
                                      > predict highs in the +20s this weekend. Time to get out the short
                                      > sleeve shirts.
                                      >
                                      > Ed
                                      >
                                      > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry from Anchorage"
                                      > <cooltool49@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > I forgot to tell you that I looked at your pics, & wish my
                                      garage/shop
                                      > > was only as messy as yours. My DSU (Designated Spousal Unit)
                                      > > absolutely requires her car to be in the garage. Ruins all my
                                      shop
                                      > > space. Just cuz it gets down to zero F at nite, she wants her car
                                      > > inside.
                                      > >
                                      > > Go Figure,
                                      > > Jerry in Anchorage

                                    • Curt Wuollet
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 31, 2008
                                        What? I've got my stuff in the basement
                                        and it's been below freezing there during
                                        this last cold snap. It does limit my
                                        enthusiasm somewhat till the weather
                                        turns.  Takes 5  minutes of running until
                                        the belts are round again.

                                        Regards

                                        cww