Re: Squaring a Vise

  • aldesigns
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 2, 2008
      what you need is a dial test indicator which you mount with a magnetic
      base or if you can in the spindle. You snug one side of the vise more
      than the other. Using the table cranks run the needle of the indicator
      along the fixed jaw of your vise. Using a soft face hammer or rubber
      mallet adjust the vise left or right until the reading is the same
      from end to end then tighten the second bolt and retest to make sure
      things didn't move while tightening. Now as long as you don't remove
      the vise the you will have repeatable results.
      Check out the virtual machine shop
      http://www.jjjtrain.com/vms/index.html
      I found it very helpful

      shamas

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Edi & Rose Malinaric" <emovi@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Jerry - have a look at this approach.
      >
      > http://www.spindlesquare.com/
      >
      > I like it
      >
      > cheers edi
      >
      > > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry from Anchorage"
      > > <cooltool49@> wrote:
      > >>
      > >> I am new to milling. I just got my G0519 set up and cleaned up,
      > > etc.
      > >>
      > >> I also purchased an el-cheapo Grizz machine vise.
      > >> I won't comment on its quality at this time.
      > >>
      > >> My question is simply this. How do I adjust it to be square with
      > > the
      > >> table? Maybe the terminology isn't correct. Here is what I desire
      > > to do.
      > >>
      > >> I want the jaws to be perpendicular to the direction of travel that
      > > is
      > >> between the two hand wheels on the table. (I haven't figured out
      > > this
      > >> x y z axis thing yet.) I guess another way of stating that is the
      > >> jaws should be parallel to the forward, back movement of the table &
      > >> perpendicular to the left right movement as seen from the operator
      > >> facing the machine.
      > >>
      > >> Boy, that was a mouthfull. Sorry about the nontechnical
      > > terminology.
      > >>
      > >> A reliable/repeatable method of doing this would be appreciated.
      > >>
      > >> Jerry in Anchorage

    • aldesigns
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 2, 2008
        try this page
        http://www.jjjtrain.com/vms/mill_work_holders/mill_work_holders_02.html

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "aldesigns" <aldesigns@...> wrote:

        > what you need is a dial test indicator which you mount with a magnetic
        > base or if you can in the spindle. You snug one side of the vise more
        > than the other. Using the table cranks run the needle of the indicator
        > along the fixed jaw of your vise. Using a soft face hammer or rubber
        > mallet adjust the vise left or right until the reading is the same
        > from end to end then tighten the second bolt and retest to make sure
        > things didn't move while tightening. Now as long as you don't remove
        > the vise the you will have repeatable results.
        > Check out the virtual machine shop
        > http://www.jjjtrain.com/vms/index.html
        > I found it very helpful
        >
        > shamas
        >
        > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Edi & Rose Malinaric" <emovi@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Jerry - have a look at this approach.
        > >
        > > http://www.spindlesquare.com/
        > >
        > > I like it
        > >
        > > cheers edi
        > >
        > > > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry from Anchorage"

        > > > etc.

        > > > the
        > > > to do.

        > > > is
        > > > this

        > > > terminology.

      • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 2, 2008
          Dial indicators are too close together for me, father apart would give better resolution of any error, and the price, $125 for two bits of steel and two dial indicators!

          Edi & Rose Malinaric <emovi@...> wrote:
          Hi Jerry - have a look at this approach.

          http://www.spindles quare.com/

          I like it

          cheers edi

          > --- In mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com, "Jerry from Anchorage"
          > <cooltool49@ ...> wrote:
          >>
          >> I am new to milling. I just got my G0519 set up and cleaned up,
          > etc.
          >>
          >> I also purchased an el-cheapo Grizz machine vise.
          >> I won't comment on its quality at this time.
          >>
          >> My question is simply this. How do I adjust it to be square with
          > the
          >> table? Maybe the terminology isn't correct. Here is what I desire
          > to do.
          >>
          >> I want the jaws to be perpendicular to the direction of travel that
          > is
          >> between the two hand wheels on the table. (I haven't figured out
          > this
          >> x y z axis thing yet.) I guess another way of stating that is the
          >> jaws should be parallel to the forward, back movement of the table &
          >> perpendicular to the left right movement as seen from the operator
          >> facing the machine.
          >>
          >> Boy, that was a mouthfull. Sorry about the nontechnical
          > terminology.
          >>
          >> A reliable/repeatable method of doing this would be appreciated.
          >>
          >> Jerry in Anchorage

        • Druid Noibn
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 2, 2008
            Hi Malcolm,

            AND....the smarts to get a patent on it...

            My funds are best spent elsewhere.

            Take care,
            DBN

            Edi & Rose Malinaric <emovi@.... za> wrote:
            Hi Jerry - have a look at this approach.

            http://www.spindles quare.com/

            I like it

            cheers edi

            > --- In mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com, "Jerry from Anchorage"
            > <cooltool49@ ...> wrote:
            >>
            >> I am new to milling. I just got my G0519 set up and cleaned up,
            > etc.
            >>
            >> I also purchased an el-cheapo Grizz machine vise.
            >> I won't comment on its quality at this time.
            >>
            >> My question is simply this. How do I adjust it to be square with
            > the
            >> table? Maybe the terminology isn't correct. Here is what I desire
            > to do.
            >>
            >> I want the jaws to be perpendicular to the direction of travel that
            > is
            >> between the two hand wheels on the table. (I haven't figured out
            > this
            >> x y z axis thing yet.) I guess another way of stating that is the
            >> jaws should be parallel to the forward, back movement of the table &
            >> perpendicular to the left right movement as seen from the operator
            >> facing the machine.
            >>
            >> Boy, that was a mouthfull. Sorry about the nontechnical
            > terminology.
            >>
            >> A reliable/repeatable method of doing this would be appreciated.
            >>
            >> Jerry in Anchorage

          • Edi & Rose Malinaric
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 2, 2008
              Hi Malcolm

              What half useful DIYer would buy that? Dead easy to make a holder. Makes setting up a vise a piece of cake. Sure, accuracy is always better with a longer base but assuming a base of 4" you should have little problem to work to an accuracy of 0.5 micromil.

              Using 2 indicators sure beats winding the table backwards and forwards

              cheers edi
              Dial indicators are too close together for me, father apart would give better resolution of any error, and the price, $125 for two bits of steel and two dial indicators!

              Edi & Rose Malinaric <emovi@...> wrote:
              Hi Jerry - have a look at this approach.

              http://www.spindles quare.com/

              I like it

              cheers edi

              > --- In mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com, "Jerry from Anchorage"
              > <cooltool49@ ...> wrote:
              >>
              >> I am new to milling. I just got my G0519 set up and cleaned up,
              > etc.
              >>
              >> I also purchased an el-cheapo Grizz machine vise.
              >> I won't comment on its quality at this time.
              >>
              >> My question is simply this. How do I adjust it to be square with
              > the
              >> table? Maybe the terminology isn't correct. Here is what I desire
              > to do.
              >>
              >> I want the jaws to be perpendicular to the direction of travel that
              > is
              >> between the two hand wheels on the table. (I haven't figured out
              > this
              >> x y z axis thing yet.) I guess another way of stating that is the
              >> jaws should be parallel to the forward, back movement of the table &
              >> perpendicular to the left right movement as seen from the operator
              >> facing the machine.
              >>
              >> Boy, that was a mouthfull. Sorry about the nontechnical
              > terminology.
              >>
              >> A reliable/repeatable method of doing this would be appreciated.
              >>
              >> Jerry in Anchorage

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg

                Dial indicators are too close together for me, father apart would give better resolution of any error, and the price, $125 for two bits of steel and two dial indicators!

                Edi & Rose Malinaric <emovi@.... za> wrote:
                Hi Jerry - have a look at this approach.

                http://www.spindles quare.com/

                I like it

                cheers edi

                > --- In mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com, "Jerry from Anchorage"
                > <cooltool49@ ...> wrote:
                >>
                >> I am new to milling. I just got my G0519 set up and cleaned up,
                > etc.
                >>
                >> I also purchased an el-cheapo Grizz machine vise.
                >> I won't comment on its quality at this time.
                >>
                >> My question is simply this. How do I adjust it to be square with
                > the
                >> table? Maybe the terminology isn't correct. Here is what I desire
                > to do.
                >>
                >> I want the jaws to be perpendicular to the direction of travel that
                > is
                >> between the two hand wheels on the table. (I haven't figured out
                > this
                >> x y z axis thing yet.) I guess another way of stating that is the
                >> jaws should be parallel to the forward, back movement of the table &
                >> perpendicular to the left right movement as seen from the operator
                >> facing the machine.
                >>
                >> Boy, that was a mouthfull. Sorry about the nontechnical
                > terminology.
                >>
                >> A reliable/repeatable method of doing this would be appreciated.
                >>
                >> Jerry in Anchorage

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.

              • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 2, 2008
                  see
                  <http://v3.espacenet.com/textdoc?DB=EPODOC&IDX=MXPA05007343&F=0> for the patent. If you search for Joseph Navarro on the advanced search on the patent site, 14 patents turn up, some with slightly different forenames.
                  This patent is not only a US one it is also European and a worldwide so he must be hoping to sell a lot after incurring those costs. Wonder if he could get them made in China ;~}

                  Malcolm Parker-Lisberg <mparkerlisberg@ yahoo.com> wrote:
                  Dial indicators are too close together for me, father apart would give better resolution of any error, and the price, $125 for two bits of steel and two dial indicators!

                  Edi & Rose Malinaric <emovi@.... za> wrote:
                  Hi Jerry - have a look at this approach.

                  http://www.spindles quare.com/

                  I like it

                  cheers edi

                  > --- In mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com, "Jerry from Anchorage"
                  > <cooltool49@ ...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> I am new to milling. I just got my G0519 set up and cleaned up,
                  > etc.
                  >>
                  >> I also purchased an el-cheapo Grizz machine vise.
                  >> I won't comment on its quality at this time.
                  >>
                  >> My question is simply this. How do I adjust it to be square with
                  > the
                  >> table? Maybe the terminology isn't correct. Here is what I desire
                  > to do.
                  >>
                  >> I want the jaws to be perpendicular to the direction of travel that
                  > is
                  >> between the two hand wheels on the table. (I haven't figured out
                  > this
                  >> x y z axis thing yet.) I guess another way of stating that is the
                  >> jaws should be parallel to the forward, back movement of the table &
                  >> perpendicular to the left right movement as seen from the operator
                  >> facing the machine.
                  >>
                  >> Boy, that was a mouthfull. Sorry about the nontechnical
                  > terminology.
                  >>
                  >> A reliable/repeatable method of doing this would be appreciated.
                  >>
                  >> Jerry in Anchorage

                • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 2, 2008
                    Hardened washers, Hmmm.. I don't have those at the moment.

                  • Druid Noibn
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 2, 2008
                      Hi Malcolm,

                      Strange - your missive arrived in the "Bulk" folder - I usually just dump those.

                      Navarro is likely a proific builder and the cost for patents today is ridiculous, it certainly doesn't encourge the novice.

                      China is still not strict on enforcing patent laws, sho I am sure the item will appear at your local supermarket in kit form some day.

                      Maybe the price is good and I am a bit of a tightwad...<smile>

                      Druid Noibn <druid_noibn@ yahoo.com> wrote:
                      Hi Malcolm,

                      AND....the smarts to get a patent on it...

                      My funds are best spent elsewhere.

                      Take care,
                      DBN

                      Malcolm Parker-Lisberg <mparkerlisberg@ yahoo.com> wrote:
                      Dial indicators are too close together for me, father apart would give better resolution of any error, and the price, $125 for two bits of steel and two dial indicators!

                      Edi & Rose Malinaric <emovi@.... za> wrote:
                      Hi Jerry - have a look at this approach.

                      http://www.spindles quare.com/

                      I like it

                      cheers edi

                      > --- In mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com, "Jerry from Anchorage"
                      > <cooltool49@ ...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> I am new to milling. I just got my G0519 set up and cleaned up,
                      > etc.
                      >>
                      >> I also purchased an el-cheapo Grizz machine vise.
                      >> I won't comment on its quality at this time.
                      >>
                      >> My question is simply this. How do I adjust it to be square with
                      > the
                      >> table? Maybe the terminology isn't correct. Here is what I desire
                      > to do.
                      >>
                      >> I want the jaws to be perpendicular to the direction of travel that
                      > is
                      >> between the two hand wheels on the table. (I haven't figured out
                      > this
                      >> x y z axis thing yet.) I guess another way of stating that is the
                      >> jaws should be parallel to the forward, back movement of the table &
                      >> perpendicular to the left right movement as seen from the operator
                      >> facing the machine.
                      >>
                      >> Boy, that was a mouthfull. Sorry about the nontechnical
                      > terminology.
                      >>
                      >> A reliable/repeatable method of doing this would be appreciated.
                      >>
                      >> Jerry in Anchorage

                    • Glenn N

                        Dial indicators are too close together for me, father apart would give better resolution of any error, and the price, $125 for two bits of steel and two dial indicators!

                        Edi & Rose Malinaric <emovi@.... za> wrote:
                        Hi Jerry - have a look at this approach.

                        http://www.spindles quare.com/

                        I like it

                        cheers edi

                        > --- In mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com, "Jerry from Anchorage"
                        > <cooltool49@ ...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> I am new to milling. I just got my G0519 set up and cleaned up,
                        > etc.
                        >>
                        >> I also purchased an el-cheapo Grizz machine vise.
                        >> I won't comment on its quality at this time.
                        >>
                        >> My question is simply this. How do I adjust it to be square with
                        > the
                        >> table? Maybe the terminology isn't correct. Here is what I desire
                        > to do.
                        >>
                        >> I want the jaws to be perpendicular to the direction of travel that
                        > is
                        >> between the two hand wheels on the table. (I haven't figured out
                        > this
                        >> x y z axis thing yet.) I guess another way of stating that is the
                        >> jaws should be parallel to the forward, back movement of the table &
                        >> perpendicular to the left right movement as seen from the operator
                        >> facing the machine.
                        >>
                        >> Boy, that was a mouthfull. Sorry about the nontechnical
                        > terminology.
                        >>
                        >> A reliable/repeatable method of doing this would be appreciated.
                        >>
                        >> Jerry in Anchorage

                        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                      • aldesigns
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 2, 2008
                          i don't have harden washers either but the principle still works

                          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
                          <mparkerlisberg@...> wrote:

                          > Hardened washers, Hmmm.. I don't have those at the moment.
                          >

                          > aldesigns <aldesigns@...> wrote: try
                          this page
                          > http://www.jjjtrain.com/vms/mill_work_holders/mill_work_holders_02.html
                          >
                          > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "aldesigns" <aldesigns@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > what you need is a dial test indicator which you mount with a
                          magnetic
                          > > base or if you can in the spindle. You snug one side of the vise more
                          > > than the other. Using the table cranks run the needle of the
                          indicator
                          > > along the fixed jaw of your vise. Using a soft face hammer or rubber
                          > > mallet adjust the vise left or right until the reading is the same
                          > > from end to end then tighten the second bolt and retest to make sure
                          > > things didn't move while tightening. Now as long as you don't remove
                          > > the vise the you will have repeatable results.
                          > > Check out the virtual machine shop
                          > > http://www.jjjtrain.com/vms/index.html
                          > > I found it very helpful
                          > >
                          > > shamas
                          > >
                          > > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Edi & Rose Malinaric" <emovi@>
                          > > wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Hi Jerry - have a look at this approach.
                          > > >
                          > > > http://www.spindlesquare.com/
                          > > >
                          > > > I like it
                          > > >
                          > > > cheers edi

                          > desire

                          > that
                          > table &

                          > ---------------------------------
                          Search.

                        • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 3, 2008
                              Hi Malcom,

                              With such pearls of wisdom, this effluent should never be directed to the "Bulk" file.  Alas, such shenanigans are best left to Heads of State. <smile>

                              Take care,
                              DBN

                              Malcolm Parker-Lisberg <mparkerlisberg@...> wrote:
                              Junk folder, probably the right place, SWMBO frequent comment as I enter clutching the latest aquisition, "What more Junk"
                              Now what is needed is a wife and a mistress that know about each other, so that the one thinks you are with the other and you are actually in the workshop.

                              Druid Noibn <druid_noibn@ yahoo.com> wrote:
                              Hi Malcolm,

                              Strange - your missive arrived in the "Bulk" folder - I usually just dump those.

                              ............ ......... ..

                            • Mike Nash
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 3, 2008
                                So what was wrong and what was the fix? Also, does anyone know how to remove
                                (and reinstall) the crystal to allow straightening a bent needle? I know it
                                doesn't hurt anything for it to be bent (except my sensibilities.)

                                Mike Nash

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 3, 2008
                                  Mike,

                                  Mine was just "sticky", and would sometimes get stuck off-
                                  center. I opened it up, took the guts apart, put it back together,
                                  and it's been fine since. I think there was just a piece of crud in
                                  it somewhere.
                                  Never looked at how to get the glass off. My guess would be it's
                                  just snapped in place, like a watch crystal. I think the rotating
                                  metal bezel is usually held in place by a snap ring, and simply pulls
                                  off. The ring will compress when you pull on the bezel hard enough.

                                  Regards,
                                  Ray L.

                                  --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Nash" <mn.minimill@...>