DRO Suggestions

  • David
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 5, 2007
      I've decided that a DRO is the next addition to my RF-45 dovetail mill.
      What are the group members using? What is the latest and greatest if
      you were buying today? I don't think I need much in the way of
      features. Just tired of counting turns of the dials.

      I've looked at the Shumatech, SMW Precision, Shooting Star, and Yadro
      models. Shumatech web site looks like the activity has fallen off. Has
      any one tried to build one lately? I have lots of electrical experience
      so a kit is not out of the question.

      Thanks in advance.
      David
    • Jerry Kimberlin
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 5, 2007
        David wrote:
        > I've decided that a DRO is the next addition to my RF-45 dovetail mill.
        > What are the group members using? What is the latest and greatest if
        > you were buying today? I don't think I need much in the way of
        > features. Just tired of counting turns of the dials.

        Depends on which scales you intend to use. I'm using the US Digital
        Mylar tape scales and, if you have room, the Jenix would be a good
        choice for glass scales. Either of these using a PC display (Yadro) or
        stand alone (DRO-350) would be good.

        I'm using a DRO-350 with US Digital scales and haven't had anything but
        joy since installing it about 6 months after Scott began offering the
        boards.

        JerryK
      • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 5, 2007
            David,
            If I were doing it, I'd go with the DRO-350, and the Jenix glass
            scales. In fact, I bought a DRO-350 PCB and front panel overlay years
            ago, and never used them, since I converted my mill to CNC. But, I'm
            strill convinced it's the most cost-effective, functional solution.
            The Jenix scales will cost you more than the Chinese scales, but
            they'll also be more reliable and accurate. The overall cost
            difference probably amounts to only $100-150. There is a guy on the
            Shumatech group site that sells them at a very good price.

            Regards,
            Ray L.

            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "David" <david@...> wrote:

            > I've decided that a DRO is the next addition to my RF-45 dovetail
            mill.
            > What are the group members using? What is the latest and greatest if
            > you were buying today? I don't think I need much in the way of
            > features. Just tired of counting turns of the dials.
            >
            > I've looked at the Shumatech, SMW Precision, Shooting Star, and Yadro
            > models. Shumatech web site looks like the activity has fallen off.
            Has
            > any one tried to build one lately? I have lots of electrical
            experience
            > so a kit is not out of the question.
            >
            > Thanks in advance.
            > David

          • Henry Arnold
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 5, 2007
              Guys,

              I'm also planning to add a DRO to my G0519 (RF-45 clone). Grizzly
              publishes the X travel as 21.5 but when I measure it, its barely 20".
              My Y travel is a little over 7" and my Z (quill) is 5". I was planning
              to buy the following scales:

              X 20" horizontal
              Y 8" horizontal
              Z 6" Vertical

              Does that sound correct? Has anybody installed the Chinese scales on a
              "45" mill? Are the above lengths what you used?

              BTW, I will be using the Shumatech 350. I have all the parts and just
              need to put it together. Thanks for your help.

              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
              <mparkerlisberg@...> wrote:

              > Yardo or Shumatech are fine, depends if you want a stand alone unit
              or are happy to have a PC near swarf. If you have not built or
              assembled a PCB before you can buy either ready assembled from Lester
              Caine. ( no connection, he's just a helpfull guy) join the shumatec
              group to see all the problems that occur when mounting scales on a
              mill. Rick Sparber has a collection of guides on his website for the
              DRO350.

              > David <david@...> wrote: I've decided
              that a DRO is the next addition to my RF-45 dovetail mill.
              > What are the group members using? What is the latest and greatest if
              > you were buying today? I don't think I need much in the way of
              > features. Just tired of counting turns of the dials.
              >
              > I've looked at the Shumatech, SMW Precision, Shooting Star, and Yadro
              > models. Shumatech web site looks like the activity has fallen off. Has
              > any one tried to build one lately? I have lots of electrical
              experience
              > so a kit is not out of the question.
              >
              > Thanks in advance.
              > David
              >

              > ---------------------------------
              Search.

            • Jerry Kimberlin
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 5, 2007
                Henry Arnold wrote:
                > Guys,
                >
                > I'm also planning to add a DRO to my G0519 (RF-45 clone). Grizzly
                > publishes the X travel as 21.5 but when I measure it, its barely 20".
                > My Y travel is a little over 7" and my Z (quill) is 5".

                As per my previous post, I'm using the USDigital mylar scales hooked to
                the DRO-350 with the QCC-100 quadrature boards installed. I also have a
                GO519 from Grizzly.

                It seems like every one of these machines is a little different. My
                machine has 21.5" x 7 1/2" x 5 1/4" about. I looked into scales and
                didn't like the Chinese type for various reasons. The Jenix scales were
                not available at the time. The DRO-350 has served me very well since it
                was installed years ago.

                My most recent addition to this machine is a motorized head
                raising/lowering system.

                JerryK
              • David
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 5, 2007
                  My RF-45 is actually a Lathemaster ZAY7045FG. My X travel is 21.5". Y
                  travel is 8.5" and Z is 5". I'm thinking to buy the slightly shorter
                  scales (20" and 8") as I don't every forsee using the limits.

                  Another question I forgot to ask in my original post was the addition
                  of drag. Is there a noticable increase in table drag with the chinese
                  scales? Are the glass scales or mylar less?

                  David

                  --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Henry Arnold" <henryarnold@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Guys,
                  >
                  > I'm also planning to add a DRO to my G0519 (RF-45 clone). Grizzly
                  > publishes the X travel as 21.5 but when I measure it, its barely
                  20".
                  > My Y travel is a little over 7" and my Z (quill) is 5". I was
                  planning
                  > to buy the following scales:
                  >
                  > X 20" horizontal
                  > Y 8" horizontal
                  > Z 6" Vertical
                  >
                  > Does that sound correct? Has anybody installed the Chinese scales
                  on a
                  > "45" mill? Are the above lengths what you used?
                  >
                  > BTW, I will be using the Shumatech 350. I have all the parts and
                  just
                  > need to put it together. Thanks for your help.
                  >

                  > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
                  > <mparkerlisberg@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Yardo or Shumatech are fine, depends if you want a stand alone
                  unit
                  > or are happy to have a PC near swarf. If you have not built or
                  > assembled a PCB before you can buy either ready assembled from
                  Lester
                  > Caine. ( no connection, he's just a helpfull guy) join the shumatec
                  > group to see all the problems that occur when mounting scales on a
                  > mill. Rick Sparber has a collection of guides on his website for the
                  > DRO350.

                • J.C. Gerber
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 5, 2007
                    Hi
                    Do not forget that scales hate to be used as a stop, they cannot stand it. Do not ask why I know!

                    Jean-Claude, Switzerland
                    www.homestead.com/turnandmill

                    wrote:

                    > Guys,
                    >
                    > I'm also planning to add a DRO to my G0519 (RF-45 clone). Grizzly
                    > publishes the X travel as 21.5 but when I measure it, its barely
                    20".
                    > My Y travel is a little over 7" and my Z (quill) is 5". I was
                    planning
                    > to buy the following scales:
                    >
                    > X 20" horizontal
                    > Y 8" horizontal
                    > Z 6" Vertical
                    >
                    > Does that sound correct? Has anybody installed the Chinese scales
                    on a
                    > "45" mill? Are the above lengths what you used?
                    >
                    > BTW, I will be using the Shumatech 350. I have all the parts and
                    just
                    > need to put it together. Thanks for your help.
                    >

                    > --- In mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com, Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
                    > <mparkerlisberg@ > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Yardo or Shumatech are fine, depends if you want a stand alone
                    unit
                    > or are happy to have a PC near swarf. If you have not built or
                    > assembled a PCB before you can buy either ready assembled from
                    Lester
                    > Caine. ( no connection, he's just a helpfull guy) join the shumatec
                    > group to see all the problems that occur when mounting scales on a
                    > mill. Rick Sparber has a collection of guides on his website for the
                    > DRO350.

                  • j. eric townsend
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 5, 2007
                      I have an IH mill that I'm using in manual mode while I save up for a
                      full CNC-retrofit. I was thinking about putting on some sort of DIY DRO
                      to tide me over, but will it just be useless/in the way once I convert
                      to CNC? Or is having it around useful enough in manual mode that I'll
                      like having both?

                      thx,

                      --
                      jet / KG6ZVQ
                      http://www.flatline.net
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 5, 2007

                        > Another question I forgot to ask in my original post was the addition
                        > of drag. Is there a noticable increase in table drag with the chinese
                        > scales? Are the glass scales or mylar less?
                        >
                        > David

                        Don`t think you will notice any drag. After the addition of a DRO on
                        my mill ( IH ), If there was any drag, I never detected it. The table
                        is heavy anyway on about any mill that size. The scales, whatever you
                        may be using, wouldn`t generate enough drag to be noticable I would
                        think. Even after adding the Kurt vise to the mill table, about 70 or
                        80 LBs, the handcrank just turned merrily along.

                        Nat
                      • David
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 9, 2007
                          Ray, Interested in possibly purchasing your PCB and overlay. Please
                          send me a email. Tried to send an email directly but got no response.
                          Appologies to the rest of the group for this posting.
                          David Thompson

                          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Livingston" <jagboy1964@...>
                          wrote:

                          > David,
                          > If I were doing it, I'd go with the DRO-350, and the Jenix
                          glass
                          > scales. In fact, I bought a DRO-350 PCB and front panel overlay
                          years
                          > ago, and never used them, since I converted my mill to CNC. But,
                          I'm
                          > strill convinced it's the most cost-effective, functional
                          solution.
                          > The Jenix scales will cost you more than the Chinese scales, but
                          > they'll also be more reliable and accurate. The overall cost
                          > difference probably amounts to only $100-150. There is a guy on
                          the
                          > Shumatech group site that sells them at a very good price.
                          >
                          > Regards,
                          > Ray L.

                        • Ray Livingston
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 12, 2007
                            David,

                            I sent you an off-line e-mail about this a few days ago. Did you
                            get it?

                            Regards,
                            Ray L.

                            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "David" <david@...> wrote:

                            > Ray, Interested in possibly purchasing your PCB and overlay. Please
                            > send me a email. Tried to send an email directly but got no
                            response.
                            > Appologies to the rest of the group for this posting.
                            > David Thompson
                            >

                            > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Livingston" <jagboy1964@>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > David,
                            > > If I were doing it, I'd go with the DRO-350, and the Jenix
                            > glass
                            > > scales. In fact, I bought a DRO-350 PCB and front panel overlay
                            > years
                            > > ago, and never used them, since I converted my mill to CNC. But,
                            > I'm
                            > > strill convinced it's the most cost-effective, functional
                            > solution.
                            > > The Jenix scales will cost you more than the Chinese scales, but
                            > > they'll also be more reliable and accurate. The overall cost
                            > > difference probably amounts to only $100-150. There is a guy on
                            > the
                            > > Shumatech group site that sells them at a very good price.
                            > >
                            > > Regards,
                            > > Ray L.

                          • David
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 13, 2007
                              Ray, Yes I did receive your email and I sent you a reply although it
                              went back to the same email address listed here (jagboy1964@..).
                              Please send me another email using the same method but include your
                              working email address. Again, appologies to the group for using the
                              board for this offline conversion.
                              David