My RF30 is supposed to arrive tomorrow....

  • jsteimle@austin.rr.com
    Message 1 of 12 , May 2, 2001
      My RF30 is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Since the weight is listed at
      almost 700 pounds I'm a little anxious about how to move it.

      I am having it delivered to my work so I can get it forklifted into
      the back of my truck. I can back my truck up to my garage which will
      be its new home.

      I can borrow a large metal ramp from work that I hope to be able to
      slowly slide the mill still on the shipping pallet down to the floor.

      What I have not figured out is how to get it up on the stand.

      Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

      Jeff
    • Al Patrick
      Message 2 of 12 , May 3, 2001
        jsteimle@... wrote:

        > My RF30 is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Since the weight is
        > listed at
        > almost 700 pounds I'm a little anxious about how to move it.
        >
        > I am having it delivered to my work so I can get it forklifted
        > into
        > the back of my truck. I can back my truck up to my garage which
        > will
        > be its new home.
        >
        > I can borrow a large metal ramp from work that I hope to be
        > able to
        > slowly slide the mill still on the shipping pallet down to the
        > floor.
        >
        > What I have not figured out is how to get it up on the stand.
        >
        > Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
        >
        > Jeff

        Jeff,

        You may also be able to borrow a motor puller from a small
        garage. Some have about a 4000 cylinder, but only about 2000
        lift rating. That is with the boom all the way IN. As you go
        out to the max on them it may only lift about 400 or 500 # so be
        careful about overloading it at full extension. Also, be sure
        the legs are extended past the point of attachment on the boom!
        This prevents tipping over forward.

        Another possibility might be attaching a chain fall or
        come-a-long to the ceiling and then removing it when finished.

        3) If you're not too far from a business with a fork lift you
        might be able to get someone to run by and just sit it on the
        bench with a fork lift -- since you did say it was going in the
        garage, I'm assuming there'd be no trouble getting a fork lift in
        it.

        Al
        --
        The truth is "hate" --
        to those who HATE the truth!
        Message 3 of 12 , May 3, 2001
          The machine head can easily be disassembled from the column. I did the same
          trick on an open bed truck. Got it here then dis-assembled on the truck.
          Even in two pieces it is a HEAVY two man load. Got it all down in the
          basement and then rigged a hoist in between the floor beams. This same
          hoist is now used to lift on and off the over sized rotary table I aquired.
          Good luck and pay attention to safety as heavy sharp edges go through
          gloves and bones in a mili second.
          Steve R

          ----------
          > From: jsteimle@...
          > To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [mill_drill] My RF30 is supposed to arrive tomorrow....
          > Date: Wednesday, May 02, 2001 10:26 PM
          >
          > My RF30 is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Since the weight is listed at
          > almost 700 pounds I'm a little anxious about how to move it.
          >
          > I am having it delivered to my work so I can get it forklifted into
          > the back of my truck. I can back my truck up to my garage which will
          > be its new home.
          >
          > I can borrow a large metal ramp from work that I hope to be able to
          > slowly slide the mill still on the shipping pallet down to the floor.
          >
          > What I have not figured out is how to get it up on the stand.
          >
          > Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
          >
          > Jeff

        • Ty Hoeffer
          Message 4 of 12 , May 3, 2001
            On Thursday 03 May 2001 10:02, you wrote:
            > The machine head can easily be disassembled from the column. I did the same
            > trick on an open bed truck. Got it here then dis-assembled on the truck.
            > Even in two pieces it is a HEAVY two man load. Got it all down in the
            > basement and then rigged a hoist in between the floor beams. This same
            > hoist is now used to lift on and off the over sized rotary table I aquired.
            > Good luck and pay attention to safety as heavy sharp edges go through
            > gloves and bones in a mili second.
            > Steve R

            I agree! I slid my G-1006 off my dad's trailer onto the floor of my garage,
            then uncrated it. I broke it down to head, column, base, and table. Then I
            lifted each piece onto my workbench myself. Then re-assembled it.

            One warning though, if you remove the column from the base you will break
            loose the bondough ( bondo? ) filler they used to make the seam dissapear
            where the base & column meet. Its there for visual looks only, so no harm
            done.

            Also ( I guess this is the second warning ) look over the parts list &
            familiarize yourself with the breakdown of anything you want to remove
            before trying to remove it! Who knows it might save you alot of trouble.

            How many of you ave trammed the head? I checked mine out & I'm about .0015"
            out L -> R ( High Side ) and .0015" F -> R ( High Side ) on a 12" dia sweep
            of the table L->R, 9" dia F->R sweep. Now to buy shims & fix it.

            Ty

            * Ty Hoeffer -- Network Analyst
            * UVa. Health System/Computing Services
            * pth3k at Virginia.EDU
            * http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty
            *
            * "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
            * Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin 1759
          • Steve Roberts
            Message 5 of 12 , May 3, 2001
              No, hand scrap it and it will be true long after you and I are gone to the
              machine shop in the clouds!!
              Also after tramming fix the rotating keyway to column so you don't loose
              setting when changing tools.
              Steve R

              ----------

            • Renner, Corey
              Message 6 of 12 , May 3, 2001
                My head is out too, but I haven't done anything about it yet. Keep us
                posted when you shim yours.

                &
                familiarize yourself with the breakdown of anything you want to remove
                before trying to remove it! Who knows it might save you alot of trouble.

                How many of you ave trammed the head? I checked mine out & I'm about
                .0015"
                out L -> R ( High Side ) and .0015" F -> R ( High Side ) on a 12" dia sweep
                of the table L->R, 9" dia F->R sweep. Now to buy shims & fix it.

                Ty

                * Ty Hoeffer -- Network Analyst
                * UVa. Health System/Computing Services
                * pth3k at Virginia.EDU
                * http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty
                *
                * "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
                * Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin 1759

              • Ken
                Message 7 of 12 , May 3, 2001
                  Jeff you might want to check on renting or borrowing one of those hydraulic engine cranes.  You could then pick it up and wheel it around.  I think they will lift 1/2 ton which should be enough.

                  Ken
                  av8or@...
                  kring@...
                  av8or_cfi@...

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 3, 2001
                    I had this problem when I received my mill/drill. Luckily, a friend had a
                    small hydraulic table that would go from about 1 ft off the ground up to
                    about 40". We were able to tilt the mill enough to get the table under it.
                    We place two round bars under the mill while it was on the table. When we go
                    to the bench, we rolled the mill off the table.

                    >From: Al Patrick <arp@...>
                    >To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: Re: [mill_drill] My RF30 is supposed to arrive tomorrow....
                    >Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 08:41:16 -0400
                    >
                    >jsteimle@... wrote:
                    >
                    > > My RF30 is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Since the weight is
                    > > listed at
                    > > almost 700 pounds I'm a little anxious about how to move it.
                    > >
                    > > I am having it delivered to my work so I can get it forklifted
                    > > into
                    > > the back of my truck. I can back my truck up to my garage which
                    > > will
                    > > be its new home.
                    > >
                    > > I can borrow a large metal ramp from work that I hope to be
                    > > able to
                    > > slowly slide the mill still on the shipping pallet down to the
                    > > floor.
                    > >
                    > > What I have not figured out is how to get it up on the stand.
                    > >
                    > > Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
                    > >
                    > > Jeff
                    >
                    >Jeff,
                    >
                    >You may also be able to borrow a motor puller from a small
                    >garage. Some have about a 4000 cylinder, but only about 2000
                    >lift rating. That is with the boom all the way IN. As you go
                    >out to the max on them it may only lift about 400 or 500 # so be
                    >careful about overloading it at full extension. Also, be sure
                    >the legs are extended past the point of attachment on the boom!
                    >This prevents tipping over forward.
                    >
                    >Another possibility might be attaching a chain fall or
                    >come-a-long to the ceiling and then removing it when finished.
                    >
                    >3) If you're not too far from a business with a fork lift you
                    >might be able to get someone to run by and just sit it on the
                    >bench with a fork lift -- since you did say it was going in the
                    >garage, I'm assuming there'd be no trouble getting a fork lift in
                    >it.
                    >
                    >Al
                    >--
                    >The truth is "hate" --
                    >to those who HATE the truth!

                  • David Burger
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 5, 2001
                      I had the machine shipped to the truck terminal where they loaded it onto my
                      half tom pick-up. At home, I used an engine lift with spreaders to lift the
                      crate, drove the truck out from under and set the crate on the screened
                      porch. I removed the motor from the head, the head from the column, the
                      tables from the base.(Miami is warm all the time) Then, using the engine
                      lift I put the base-colum assembly on the table in the shop. This required
                      making a lift block and ring that fit in the base so no twisting was applied
                      to the column. With help, I then lifted the head onto the column. The rest
                      was easy. It took about a week of part time, after-work, effort. Part of the
                      fun experience and well worth the opportunity to libricate everything.

                      This stuff is heavy. don't stand under any of it and be careful about the
                      strength of eye-bolts and other fixtures you fabricate. Use good strong LOAD
                      RATED chain. You don't want a cheap bent eye-bolt opening as you apply lift.
                      Use solid, forged accessories to do the job.
                    • Dave Burger

                          Message 12 of 12 , May 7, 2001
                            You can purchase those tables from HF for a few hundred dollars.

                            Ken
                            av8or@...
                            kring@...
                            av8or_cfi@...