Re: Quill wobble/shimmy while boring

  • Philip Burman
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 5, 2007
      You can also move the table/workpiece to the side, install you boring
      set-up, move the workpiece back, adjust the height of the head/tool
      (with the quill retracted), then re-center the cutting tool by rotating
      the cutting tool by hand and moving the table until the tool tip
      rotates concentric to the pre-drilled hole. You could also rely on the
      x-axis/y-axis dials for repositioning (allowing for backlash by always
      approaching from the same direction). Your previous post implied that a
      drill hole was precise enough so these methods of repositioning should
      also be good enough.

      Alternatively just order a 12.5 mm drill bit (or a boxed set of metric)
      via the Internet. A 12.5 mm drill bit is always good for drilling a
      hole that needs to be reamed to 0.500". Other "odd sized" metric drill
      bits can often be more useful than you would first think.

      Phil

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "fortcolllinsjerry"