Re: [mill_drill] Re: 3/8-16 draw bar wanted.......

  • Joe Williams
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 6, 2007

      Jean-Claude,

      Paul's comment is what we here in the U.S. call a "tongue-in-cheek" comment. He is kidding, or joking. It is also referred to as sarcasm or faciciousness. It is a joke that, while it is not to be taken seriously, has a small ring of truth to it. He is expressing the frustration we all feel when having to cope with multiple standards for hardware or anything else in life.

      -Joe

      From: <j.c.gerber@...>
      To: <mill_drill@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [mill_drill] Re: 3/8-16 draw bar wanted.......
      Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 15:46:22 +0200

      Paul

      Do not be empiric with the stuff of others. If you are happy with British, US, Imperial, ACME threads, good for you but let the others use what is available in their country.

      Jean-Claude, Switzerland

      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 6, 2007
        Now, Paul....
        What're ya gonna do about the huge hole in you cheek?
        Good one... LOLOL..
        Bill

        Paul wrote:

        > To begin with it was a joke but really I do get stuck having to deal
        > with metric crap and it does annoy me.

      • Paul
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 6, 2007
          Well at least my post got some others to post so I am happy to see the
          activity in the group :)

          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Bill P <NPWBill@...> wrote:

          > Now, Paul....
          > What're ya gonna do about the huge hole in you cheek?
          > Good one... LOLOL..
          > Bill
          >

          > Paul wrote:
          > >

          > > To begin with it was a joke but really I do get stuck having to deal
          > > with metric crap and it does annoy me.

        • Phil Teague
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 7, 2007
            Hey Paul,

            Count me as one in the manly thread camp.

            Hurah,
            Phil

            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <pcfspam@...> wrote:

            > What? no standard hardware? What kind of a commie plot is that? I HATE
            > metric hardware! What garbage it all is. Puke, puke, puke all over
            > metric hardware! The whole metric system is just so fundamentally
            > flawed I don't know why the world simply does not switch to all
            > standard measurements already. Especially metric hardware I mean what
            > rubbish it all really is. 1/4-20, 5/16-18, 1/2-13 now those are manly
            > threads. Not that effeminate metric stuff. (mostly the author is
            > peeved here because he has to keep two inventories... )
            >
            > On a brighter note when I needed a different thread drawbar for my
            > collet set I found a bolt that fit into the collet holder, sawed off
            > its threads, then welded them to the end of a rod, with a nut welded
            > to the top of the rod. I thought the whole idea was more than a bit
            > shaky at the outset of that project, but I was desperate, I wanted the
            > tooling on my machine, and it has held up over the years now, so it
            > must have worked. I managed to do all of that in less time than it has
            > taken to type this post. The drawbar I made is actually nicer than the
            > one that shipped with my machine, that I had to shim up (put a round
            > of wedge into that) with the end of a brass fitting, because that
            > drawbar is too long for the spindle. Bear in mind I only use that
            > drawbar with tooling that was also supplied with the machine. In other
            > words all of this came together with the machine. The physical laws of
            > the Universe are a bit different in Hubei province China I suppose.
            >
            > If I remember the next time I am at my workshop I'll have to take a
            > picture of my homemade drawbar and post it to the group. Just to see
            > what everyone thinks of my TIG welding prowess I guess.
            >
            > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <1.brouwerdrift@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi,
            > > I live in The Netherlands/ Europe and recently I bought an EMCO FB-2
            > > clone. Nice quality all over!
            > > It is equiped with a metric M10 socket head draw bar of 210
            millimeter
            > > length.
            > >
            > > My milling chuck has a 3/8-16 thread so I need an 3/8-16 X 8 1/4
            inch
            > > socket head cap bolt.
            > > Sadly enough Imperial bolts are unobtainable here in Holland.......
            > > I noticed that I could order somewhere in the States a bucket of
            these
            > > but that is a bit overdone.
            > >
            > > Does anyone of our fellow machinists know of someone who is
            willing to
            > > sell one (yes one !) 3/8-16 X 8 or 8 1/4 inch socket head draw bolt
            > > over to The Netherlands??
            > > Thanks for all your help!!

          • Robert E. Hawley
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 7, 2007
              Oh Oh what is empiric, is that a state of mind or a thread size?  I hope it’s a state of mind, I really cant handle another thread combination.  I really do like the "manly threads" though and do the think the metric stuff is a pain.   Bob

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 7, 2007
                Well at least "Robert" wants a manly 3/8-16 thread :)

                I was at the town dumps the other day or so and picked up a pile of
                3/8sX16 thread shoulder nuts off the ground by the metal pile. Bou-yeah!

                You know they're headed right for my parts bin for that size. If
                hardware is really worth what I see charged for it then I'm a
                multimillionaire.

                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Teague" <philteague@...> wrote:

                > Hey Paul,
                >
                > Count me as one in the manly thread camp.
                >
                > Hurah,
                > Phil

              • Robert
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 8, 2007
                  Oh Boy!! I'm affraid I started WW 3 with my Metric drawbar........

                  To put some oil on the waves and try to calm things down a bit, I
                  posted a picture of my quick and dirty draw bar which I just made up.
                  And yes, I think it's the perfect marriage between "easy" Metric
                  drill rod and "manly" Imperial thread. ;)
                  It's in the EMCO clone photo file of this group.
                  The 10DP gear was for a blacksmith friend of mine, he had an old
                  fashioned shaper with one broken gear. It's running fine now. Yeah, I
                  know it's a mess in my workshop but I simply don't have any more
                  space available....
                  BTW, the Arab letters are on an old 50's enameled soft drink sign!
                  Hopefully, if time permits, I can add some more photo's later on of
                  this little miller.
                  I plan to convert it to CNC later on. Anybody done that with this
                  machine??

                  I also would like to thank all the friends who have tried to get me
                  one ready made bolt. Unfortunately, nowadays American dealers don't
                  like to send abroad any longer, so I couldn't get one directly.

                  But now another topic.
                  The quill bearings are a bit sloppy (axialy and radialy 0.005" play
                  after normal tightening the quill with the socket head screw....)
                  Before I start tearing apart the geared head to see if this can be
                  adjusted, is it possible at all to adjust quill bearings on this
                  machine??
                  In the factory info the quill appeares as one complete unit...

                  Happy milling!

                  Robert