Re: [mill_drill] hello?

  • Curt Wuollet
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 31, 2007
      It was just real quiet all of a sudden.
      But. I did it, I hit the button that will send
      700 lbs of Chinese Cast Iron careening
      towards my shack in the woods. There
      was a local Homier show in St Cloud
      where I work, so I took the afternoon
      off and attended. All I got was blank looks.
      I'm not sure there was anyone there that
      could spell mill drill. So, I drove home and
      ordered one. Now I need to find a vise and
      collets to arrive hopefully at the same time.
      I hope the spindle will pass a 1/2-13
      drawbar. Thats how the collets I"m looking
      at are threaded. Sounds like there's no
      standard for MT3 collets.

      Regards

      cww

      --
      Franklin D. Roosevelt Wrote about that other famous monopoly in 1938:
      "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of
      private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic State
      itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership of government by an
      individual, by a group or by any controlling private power." But the
      conviction of Standard Oil stood. Our government is already powerless
      against today's monopoly. Only the people can prevail.
    • curtwuollet
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 1, 2007
        That sounds interesting, I bought a clone to
        try and cut up various rod stock. Not good.
        By the way, I found your moving article with
        the relative weights to be useful. I haven't
        decided yet whether to move the thing in the
        crate or do the cleanup outside and split it
        into manageable chunks. I am fortunate in
        that my basement has a walkout. But it's a
        long ways due to terrain to move from the
        driveway to the basement door. I think it
        might be easiest to seperate the top half
        from the bottom half at the column bolts if
        I can find a good way to cradle the head and
        column. That way I'm not taking apart any
        precision parts on the lawn. I've got a
        husky two wheeler for the base which would
        have a low CG and one of those big wheel
        wagons for the head and column minus the
        sheet metal. Years ago, I built a tripod
        for changing engines, Neither piece should
        tax that, but the rigging might be a problem.

      • rgsparber@aol.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 1, 2007
          In a message dated 9/1/2007 5:34:08 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
          wideopen@... writes:

          That sounds interesting, I bought a clone to
          try and cut up various rod stock. Not good.
          By the way, I found your moving article with
          the relative weights to be useful. I haven't
          decided yet whether to move the thing in the
          crate or do the cleanup outside and split it
          into manageable chunks. I am fortunate in
          that my basement has a walkout. But it's a
          long ways due to terrain to move from the
          driveway to the basement door. I think it
          might be easiest to separate the top half
          from the bottom half at the column bolts if
          I can find a good way to cradle the head and
          column. That way I'm not taking apart any
          precision parts on the lawn. I've got a
          husky two wheeler for the base which would
          have a low CG and one of those big wheel
          wagons for the head and column minus the
          sheet metal. Years ago, I built a tripod
          for changing engines, Neither piece should
          tax that, but the rigging might be a problem.

          I'm glad to hear that you understand CG (center of gravity). It takes a
          fraction of a second for one of these top heavy mills to flip down with
          incredible force. If you have something like a RF30, then you will probably have to
          split the column from the base to tram the head so there is no additional work
          doing it before you move the machine to your shop.

          Above all, be safe!

        • Druid Noibn
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 1, 2007
            Hi Curt,

            Congratulations.  Lots of offerings on accessories by the usual vendors and many on e-bay.  So far I had very little trouble on e-bay but it is a gamble.  Very often the packing is poor and sometimes the item arrives damaged - this leads to an uncomfortable situation as the  damage is not due to shipping.  Also, some sellers have a wry sense of humor regarding shipping costs.

            There was a Homier show by me a few weeks ago but I convinced myself not to attend as I was suspicious that nothing great (i.e., a mill/drill) would be there.

            The plan here is to pick up a square-column '45 type this month.  Still didn't finalize the vendor however. The "Top-Tech" dealer is a 30-minute drive so that is a strong draw.

            Post your thoughts on the mill-drill when it arrives and what you did to "tune-it-up" -<smile>.

            Of course, project issues are always nice.

            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 2, 2007
              Well, I just got the whole set of 11 MT3 collets for the
              princely sum of $40.50 and I've got a line on a suitable
              screwless vise for about $40. All I need then is an end
              mill or two and I should be in business. I also need a
              clamping set, but I probably need to measure the slots
              before I get one of those. I'm not sure how these vises
              fasten down, there aren't any visible ears but I can
              find something at the hardware store till I get the
              proper t nuts and such. I guess they weren't kidding
              about having one 03988 mill left, shortly after I
              ordered, the mill is no longer on their website. Too
              bad really, we can use a little pricing pressure to
              keep the other guys honest. I looked at the 45s
              too, but the bucks just weren't there :^).

              Regards

              cww

              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 3, 2007
                Hi Curt,

                It sounds like you are on your way.

                As you know some vices have ears for hold-down bolts.  Some, like the small machinist vices either have a slot or a series of holes for the same purpose.  There are some variations on this.

                There are sellers who have these at good prices on eBay and we also have good vendors like LMS (Little machine Shop) and Lathemaster, among others who have them.

                With all that said - depending on the work you are doing, you might wish to look at one of the traditional milling vices, a 4" or 5" might work well.

                As for the "last one" yes, the company seems to remove items that aren't in-stock - while philosophically interesting, business-wise it might not be a good idea.

                --
                Franklin D. Roosevelt Wrote about that other famous monopoly in 1938:
                "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of
                private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic State
                itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership of government by an
                individual, by a group or by any controlling private power." But the
                conviction of Standard Oil stood. Our government is already powerless
                against today's monopoly. Only the people can prevail.

                Got a little couch potato?

              • Curt Wuollet
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 3, 2007
                  Hi Druid

                  By the time I'm done, I'll need a variety of
                  vises and workholding gear. I need to be
                  able to do automation panels, so I'll need
                  a two piece vise or two. The screwless
                  vise I'm looking at has the angle locking
                  like the Kurt vises without hanging half
                  off the table. Even if I later find a traditional
                  vise I like at a reasonable price, which will
                  happen in time, there will be a need for a
                  3 or 4" vise with V grooves for shaft work.
                  My (kinda weak) reason for getting this
                  is making parts for my corn stove. The
                  agitator runs in the fire and is consumed
                  even when I make them from 314 SS.
                  Now, I turn these on my 7x14 lathe and
                  cross drill as best I can with a POS drill
                  press, and grind flats on the end for the
                  coupling. With the mill, I can spot face
                  the hole locations and accurately drill
                  them and mill the flats for the coupling.
                  Instead of threading them, which is
                  extremely difficult and hard on taps,
                  (SS work hardens while hand tapping)
                  I can drill and ream for press fit pins.
                  My scrap rate should go down. I go
                  through at least 4 of these a winter and
                  they are $60 to purchase and about $10
                  to make. I might even be able to sell a
                  few. And the panel work is profitable.
                  So, it's not _entirely_ a toy :^)

                  Regards
                  cww

                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 3, 2007
                    Hi Curt,

                    it all sounds great to me - the small buiness idea of making the agitators is perfect - and allows one to build-up a nice "toy" collection.  I worked in the the biotech business for 17 years and we used 316L and sometimes 304L (non-process work) and it worked out well.  I don't know the 314 product.

                    Curious if using Carpenter 20 alloy (might be a tad expensive) would address the corrosion rate in the application.

                    The vise sounds like a good deal.  I picked up (on eBay) a 4" Starrett mill vise (they no longer make them) and in the process of refinishing it - this is a bit of fun for me.  I would like to powder coat it but decided to not buy all the "stuff" needed to do it.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 3, 2007
                      To that end HF has their powder coat kit on sale for $50.
                      If I could find Carpenter 20 or indeed, any more suitable
                      alloy around I would give it a try. Running in an oxidizing
                      flame at orange heat is tough on most steels. My local
                      selection of 5/8" rounds is somewhat limited. Perhaps we
                      have a metallurgist on board who could recommend?
                      As having a mill becomes a reality all sorts of long
                      deferred projects come to mind, perfect for the long
                      nights approaching.

                      Regards

                      cww

                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 3, 2007
                        Hi Curt,

                        HF is one of the places that I tend to haunt, much to the chagrin of the wife.  In addition to the machine (a simple unit) one needs a hot oven and from the readings here and elsewhere, the use of the kitchen oven is a no-no.  I could make up my own small oven (not all that difficult) but the thought was just to use what others have done.  What the heck, if it doesn't work out well, I'll strip off the paint and start over.

                        "We" used Carpenter 20 for a project that needed the extra corsion protection due to the acids involved.  As to sources, I don't know anymore (it was a few years ago) and the min quantity purchase might be an issue.

                        Yes, one must plan for the long winter nights.

                        --
                        Franklin D. Roosevelt Wrote about that other famous monopoly in 1938:
                        "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of
                        private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic State
                        itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership of government by an
                        individual, by a group or by any controlling private power." But the
                        conviction of Standard Oil stood. Our government is already powerless
                        against today's monopoly. Only the people can prevail.

                      • Paul
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 7, 2007
                          I am in the process of moving myself and if there is one thing that I
                          have learned in the experience it is that I like heavy stuff. Though I
                          do seem to collect rigging materials too. Choker straps, chains,
                          hoists those sorts of things. I was so happy when I got my mill/drill
                          moved.

                          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, rgsparber@... wrote:

                          > In a message dated 9/1/2007 5:34:08 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
                          > wideopen@... writes:
                          >

                          > That sounds interesting, I bought a clone to
                          > try and cut up various rod stock. Not good.
                          > By the way, I found your moving article with
                          > the relative weights to be useful. I haven't
                          > decided yet whether to move the thing in the
                          > crate or do the cleanup outside and split it
                          > into manageable chunks. I am fortunate in
                          > that my basement has a walkout. But it's a
                          > long ways due to terrain to move from the
                          > driveway to the basement door. I think it
                          > might be easiest to separate the top half
                          > from the bottom half at the column bolts if
                          > I can find a good way to cradle the head and
                          > column. That way I'm not taking apart any
                          > precision parts on the lawn. I've got a
                          > husky two wheeler for the base which would
                          > have a low CG and one of those big wheel
                          > wagons for the head and column minus the
                          > sheet metal. Years ago, I built a tripod
                          > for changing engines, Neither piece should
                          > tax that, but the rigging might be a problem.

                          > I'm glad to hear that you understand CG (center of gravity). It
                          takes a
                          > fraction of a second for one of these top heavy mills to flip down
                          with
                          > incredible force. If you have something like a RF30, then you will
                          probably have to
                          > split the column from the base to tram the head so there is no
                          additional work
                          > doing it before you move the machine to your shop.
                          >
                          > Above all, be safe!
                          >
                          > Rick
                          >

                          > ************************************** Get a sneak peek of the
                          all-new AOL at

                        • Curt Wuollet
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 7, 2007
                            I nearly ended up aborting the mission when UPSFreight
                            started talking about $125 for liftgate service and $60 for
                            residential service in addition to the $230 charged for
                            freight. I was prepared to suggest they haul the damn
                            thing back to Indiana. Fortunately, they don't service
                            my area and the company they contract with concluded
                            our arrangements with "have a check for $75 waiting
                            for the driver and we'll be out between 10 and 2 on
                            Thursday" after our palaver. So, I have to wait till
                            Thursday, but it still won't be too bad a deal. Quite a
                            saga unfolding but I have a vise coming and collets and
                            a 3/8 end mill, so I should be making chips at long last,
                            by weeks end.

                            Regards

                            cww

                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 8, 2007
                              I got in on the Harbor Freight deal of free shipping for any order
                              over $50. I think Yellow Freight delivered my machine to me. The guy
                              had a lift gate and a pallet jack, so he was able to drop the thing
                              off in the driveway for me. Now when I loaded my machine into a U-Haul
                              truck to move I used my cherry picker engine hoist and a heavy duty
                              dolly I'd made out of 5 inch I beams for final positioning in the
                              truck. To this day I still laugh whenever I see a U-Haul truck and
                              read on it, "An adventure in moving". They ain't a kidding!

                              Though if the whole story would be told I should add that I had a bit
                              of a makeshift gantry hoist disaster getting my machine down off its
                              stand. That was one of those religious epiphany times, you know the
                              Father, the Son, and the Wholly Smokes! moments if you know what I
                              mean. At the time I could not get my cherry picker into the garage as
                              I was storing a disabled car in the garage. That was one of those real
                              run away! sorts of situations there. I had a whole 17 foot U-Haul
                              truck to pack that day and the mill was only one thing that was going
                              into it. Needless to say I was not able to devote the attention that
                              moving it really deserved.

                              The next time I move my machine I think I will move the machine in two
                              pieces, the head, then the base, table, and column. All together these
                              machines seem rather top heavy to me when trying to lift them. That,
                              and the machine planes off funny when I've had it suspended. If the
                              instruction booklet that comes with these machines was worth anything
                              at all it would come with rigging instructions for picking these
                              battleship anchors up.

                              Choker straps are hard to get very tight, and they are a bit stretchy,
                              if you don't have the height. This has been an issue with me. Clevis
                              hook chains seem to be the way to fly to me rigging these machines to
                              lift. I can get them tight, and they have no stretch.

                              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Curt Wuollet <wideopen@...> wrote:

                              > I nearly ended up aborting the mission when UPSFreight
                              > started talking about $125 for liftgate service and $60 for
                              > residential service in addition to the $230 charged for
                              > freight. I was prepared to suggest they haul the damn
                              > thing back to Indiana. Fortunately, they don't service
                              > my area and the company they contract with concluded
                              > our arrangements with "have a check for $75 waiting
                              > for the driver and we'll be out between 10 and 2 on
                              > Thursday" after our palaver. So, I have to wait till
                              > Thursday, but it still won't be too bad a deal. Quite a
                              > saga unfolding but I have a vise coming and collets and
                              > a 3/8 end mill, so I should be making chips at long last,
                              > by weeks end.
                              >
                              > Regards
                              >
                              > cww

                            • Curt Wuollet
                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 8, 2007
                                Yeah, I'll let you know on the two piece move. I'll
                                still hafta pull the sheet metal as I think you'd bend
                                it if you set the head down on it's side. With the
                                belt cover off you can drop a chain down the middle
                                and maybe get close enough to balancing to put
                                it back on the column. The base and column will
                                require some eyeballing to lift. Perhaps one can
                                get the balance behind the table with careful
                                positioning. I don't have a cherry picker but
                                I'm parking it under the 8x8 support beam in
                                the basement and next to the block wall so I
                                should be able to just throw a chain around
                                that beam and lift. Gonna use a comealong,
                                but it's the real deal from Ramsden not a
                                shaky import. Trying to keep the total cost
                                of the operation within reason or I'd buy a
                                cherry picker at the local unclaimed freight
                                store.

                                Regards

                                cww