3/8-16 draw bar wanted.......

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 31 1:49 AM
      Hi,
      I live in The Netherlands/ Europe and recently I bought an EMCO FB-2
      clone. Nice quality all over!
      It is equiped with a metric M10 socket head draw bar of 210 millimeter
      length.

      My milling chuck has a 3/8-16 thread so I need an 3/8-16 X 8 1/4 inch
      socket head cap bolt.
      Sadly enough Imperial bolts are unobtainable here in Holland.......
      I noticed that I could order somewhere in the States a bucket of these
      but that is a bit overdone.

      Does anyone of our fellow machinists know of someone who is willing to
      sell one (yes one !) 3/8-16 X 8 or 8 1/4 inch socket head draw bolt
      over to The Netherlands??
      Thanks for all your help!!
    • Robert E. Hawley
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 31 3:39 AM
        I found a web site that sells by the piece they have a 3/8-16x9  for 9$ here is the address if this doesn’t
        http://www.boltdepot.com/product.aspx?cc=13&cs=71&cm=25&cd=1224   work let me know and I'll help you out.  bob

        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 31 4:51 AM
          This has become my go-to site for bolts, even for
          one-off purchases. You won't be disappointed.
          jack
          -------------------
          >I found a web site that sells by the piece they
          >have a 3/8-16x9 for 9$ here is the address if
          >this doesn’t
          ><http://www.boltdepot.com/product.aspx?cc=13&cs=71&cm=25&cd=1224>http://www.boltdepot.com/product.aspx?cc=13&cs=71&cm=25&cd=1224
          >work let me know and I'll help you out. bob

        • Rick Kruger
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 31 7:22 AM
            Have you tried McMaster-Carr? Don't know if they ship
            internationally, but the do sell 8" & 9" SHCS like you want by the singles.

            http://www.mcmaster.com/

            Emacs!

            Part
            Number:
            <http://www.mcmaster.com/param/asp//itm/find.ASP?tab=find&context=psrchDtlLink&fasttrack=False&searchstring=91251A013>91251A013

            $8.56 per Pack of 1
            Head Style
            Standard
            Material Type
            Steel
            Finish
            Black-Oxide
            Class
            Not Rated
            Drive Style
            Hex Socket
            Inch Thread Size
            3/8"-16
            Length
            9"
            Hex Key Size
            5/16"
            Thread Length
            Partially Threaded
            Thread Direction
            Right Handed
            Tip Type
            Plain
            Self-Locking Method
            None
            Head Diameter
            9/16"
            Head Height
            3/8"
            Rockwell Hardness
            C39-C45
            Minimum Tensile Strength
            180,000 psi
            Thread Fit
            Class 3A
            Specifications Met
            American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
            ASTM Specification
            ASTM A574

            At 01:49 AM 8/31/2007, you wrote:
            >Hi,
            >I live in The Netherlands/ Europe and recently I bought an EMCO FB-2
            >clone. Nice quality all over!
            >It is equiped with a metric M10 socket head draw bar of 210 millimeter
            >length.
            >
            >My milling chuck has a 3/8-16 thread so I need an 3/8-16 X 8 1/4 inch
            >socket head cap bolt.
            >Sadly enough Imperial bolts are unobtainable here in Holland.......
            >I noticed that I could order somewhere in the States a bucket of these
            >but that is a bit overdone.
            >
            >Does anyone of our fellow machinists know of someone who is willing to
            >sell one (yes one !) 3/8-16 X 8 or 8 1/4 inch socket head draw bolt
            >over to The Netherlands??
            >Thanks for all your help!!
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • ron Pat
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 31 8:17 AM
              if all you need is one bolt to make a draw bar I'll
              be glad to just send you one

            • Paul
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 6, 2007
                What? no standard hardware? What kind of a commie plot is that? I HATE
                metric hardware! What garbage it all is. Puke, puke, puke all over
                metric hardware! The whole metric system is just so fundamentally
                flawed I don't know why the world simply does not switch to all
                standard measurements already. Especially metric hardware I mean what
                rubbish it all really is. 1/4-20, 5/16-18, 1/2-13 now those are manly
                threads. Not that effeminate metric stuff. (mostly the author is
                peeved here because he has to keep two inventories... )

                On a brighter note when I needed a different thread drawbar for my
                collet set I found a bolt that fit into the collet holder, sawed off
                its threads, then welded them to the end of a rod, with a nut welded
                to the top of the rod. I thought the whole idea was more than a bit
                shaky at the outset of that project, but I was desperate, I wanted the
                tooling on my machine, and it has held up over the years now, so it
                must have worked. I managed to do all of that in less time than it has
                taken to type this post. The drawbar I made is actually nicer than the
                one that shipped with my machine, that I had to shim up (put a round
                of wedge into that) with the end of a brass fitting, because that
                drawbar is too long for the spindle. Bear in mind I only use that
                drawbar with tooling that was also supplied with the machine. In other
                words all of this came together with the machine. The physical laws of
                the Universe are a bit different in Hubei province China I suppose.

                If I remember the next time I am at my workshop I'll have to take a
                picture of my homemade drawbar and post it to the group. Just to see
                what everyone thinks of my TIG welding prowess I guess.

              • j.c.gerber@tbwil.ch
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 6, 2007
                  Paul

                  Do not be empiric with the stuff of others. If you are happy with British, US, Imperial, ACME threads, good for you but let the others use what is available in their country.

                  Jean-Claude, Switzerland

                  What? no standard hardware? What kind of a commie plot is that? I HATE
                  metric hardware! What garbage it all is. Puke, puke, puke all over
                  metric hardware! The whole metric system is just so fundamentally
                  flawed I don't know why the world simply does not switch to all
                  standard measurements already. Especially metric hardware I mean what
                  rubbish it all really is. 1/4-20, 5/16-18, 1/2-13 now those are manly
                  threads. Not that effeminate metric stuff. (mostly the author is
                  peeved here because he has to keep two inventories. .. )

                  On a brighter note when I needed a different thread drawbar for my
                  collet set I found a bolt that fit into the collet holder, sawed off
                  its threads, then welded them to the end of a rod, with a nut welded
                  to the top of the rod. I thought the whole idea was more than a bit
                  shaky at the outset of that project, but I was desperate, I wanted the
                  tooling on my machine, and it has held up over the years now, so it
                  must have worked. I managed to do all of that in less time than it has
                  taken to type this post. The drawbar I made is actually nicer than the
                  one that shipped with my machine, that I had to shim up (put a round
                  of wedge into that) with the end of a brass fitting, because that
                  drawbar is too long for the spindle. Bear in mind I only use that
                  drawbar with tooling that was also supplied with the machine. In other
                  words all of this came together with the machine. The physical laws of
                  the Universe are a bit different in Hubei province China I suppose.

                  If I remember the next time I am at my workshop I'll have to take a
                  picture of my homemade drawbar and post it to the group. Just to see
                  what everyone thinks of my TIG welding prowess I guess.

                  --- In mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com, "Robert" <1.brouwerdrift@ ...> wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  > I live in The Netherlands/ Europe and recently I bought an EMCO FB-2
                  > clone. Nice quality all over!
                  > It is equiped with a metric M10 socket head draw bar of 210 millimeter
                  > length.
                  >
                  > My milling chuck has a 3/8-16 thread so I need an 3/8-16 X 8 1/4 inch
                  > socket head cap bolt.
                  > Sadly enough Imperial bolts are unobtainable here in Holland..... ..
                  > I noticed that I could order somewhere in the States a bucket of these
                  > but that is a bit overdone.
                  >
                  > Does anyone of our fellow machinists know of someone who is willing to
                  > sell one (yes one !) 3/8-16 X 8 or 8 1/4 inch socket head draw bolt
                  > over to The Netherlands? ?
                  > Thanks for all your help!!

                • Paul
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 6, 2007
                    To begin with it was a joke but really I do get stuck having to deal
                    with metric crap and it does annoy me.

                    --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, <j.c.gerber@...> wrote:

                    > Paul
                    >
                    > Do not be empiric with the stuff of others. If you are happy with
                    British, US, Imperial, ACME threads, good for you but let the others
                    use what is available in their country.

                    > Jean-Claude, Switzerland

                  • FocusKnobs
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 6, 2007
                      Not to worry, Paul. Anyone who claims English as their first language
                      will have seen your post for the joke that it was.

                      Lou

                      To begin with it was a joke but really I do get stuck having to deal
                      with metric crap and it does annoy me.

                      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, <j.c.gerber@...> wrote:

                      > Paul
                      >
                      > Do not be empiric with the stuff of others. If you are happy with
                      British, US, Imperial, ACME threads, good for you but let the others
                      use what is available in their country.

                      > Jean-Claude, Switzerland

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • Joe Williams
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 6, 2007

                        Jean-Claude,

                        Paul's comment is what we here in the U.S. call a "tongue-in-cheek" comment. He is kidding, or joking. It is also referred to as sarcasm or faciciousness. It is a joke that, while it is not to be taken seriously, has a small ring of truth to it. He is expressing the frustration we all feel when having to cope with multiple standards for hardware or anything else in life.

                        -Joe

                        From: <j.c.gerber@...>
                        To: <mill_drill@yahoogroups.com>
                        Subject: Re: [mill_drill] Re: 3/8-16 draw bar wanted.......
                        Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 15:46:22 +0200

                        Paul

                        Do not be empiric with the stuff of others. If you are happy with British, US, Imperial, ACME threads, good for you but let the others use what is available in their country.

                        Jean-Claude, Switzerland

                        What? no standard hardware? What kind of a commie plot is that? I HATE
                        metric hardware! What garbage it all is. Puke, puke, puke all over
                        metric hardware! The whole metric system is just so fundamentally
                        flawed I don't know why the world simply does not switch to all
                        standard measurements already. Especially metric hardware I mean what
                        rubbish it all really is. 1/4-20, 5/16-18, 1/2-13 now those are manly
                        threads. Not that effeminate metric stuff. (mostly the author is
                        peeved here because he has to keep two inventories. .. )

                        On a brighter note when I needed a different thread drawbar for my
                        collet set I found a bolt that fit into the collet holder, sawed off
                        its threads, then welded them to the end of a rod, with a nut welded
                        to the top of the rod. I thought the whole idea was more than a bit
                        shaky at the outset of that project, but I was desperate, I wanted the
                        tooling on my machine, and it has held up over the years now, so it
                        must have worked. I managed to do all of that in less time than it has
                        taken to type this post. The drawbar I made is actually nicer than the
                        one that shipped with my machine, that I had to shim up (put a round
                        of wedge into that) with the end of a brass fitting, because that
                        drawbar is too long for the spindle. Bear in mind I only use that
                        drawbar with tooling that was also supplied with the machine. In other
                        words all of this came together with the machine. The physical laws of
                        the Universe are a bit different in Hubei province China I suppose.

                        If I remember the next time I am at my workshop I'll have to take a
                        picture of my homemade drawbar and post it to the group. Just to see
                        what everyone thinks of my TIG welding prowess I guess.

                        --- In mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com, "Robert" <1.brouwerdrift@ ...> wrote:

                        > Hi,
                        > I live in The Netherlands/ Europe and recently I bought an EMCO FB-2
                        > clone. Nice quality all over!
                        > It is equiped with a metric M10 socket head draw bar of 210 millimeter
                        > length.
                        >
                        > My milling chuck has a 3/8-16 thread so I need an 3/8-16 X 8 1/4 inch
                        > socket head cap bolt.
                        > Sadly enough Imperial bolts are unobtainable here in Holland..... ..
                        > I noticed that I could order somewhere in the States a bucket of these
                        > but that is a bit overdone.
                        >
                        > Does anyone of our fellow machinists know of someone who is willing to
                        > sell one (yes one !) 3/8-16 X 8 or 8 1/4 inch socket head draw bolt
                        > over to The Netherlands? ?
                        > Thanks for all your help!!

                        Get a FREE small business Web site and more from Microsoft� Office Live!
                      • Bill P
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 6, 2007
                          Now, Paul....
                          What're ya gonna do about the huge hole in you cheek?
                          Good one... LOLOL..
                          Bill

                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 6, 2007
                            Well at least my post got some others to post so I am happy to see the
                            activity in the group :)

                            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Bill P <NPWBill@...> wrote:

                            > Now, Paul....
                            > What're ya gonna do about the huge hole in you cheek?
                            > Good one... LOLOL..
                            > Bill
                            >

                            > Paul wrote:
                            > >

                            > > To begin with it was a joke but really I do get stuck having to deal
                            > > with metric crap and it does annoy me.

                          • Phil Teague
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 7, 2007
                              Hey Paul,

                              Count me as one in the manly thread camp.

                              Hurah,
                              Phil

                              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <pcfspam@...> wrote:

                              > What? no standard hardware? What kind of a commie plot is that? I HATE
                              > metric hardware! What garbage it all is. Puke, puke, puke all over
                              > metric hardware! The whole metric system is just so fundamentally
                              > flawed I don't know why the world simply does not switch to all
                              > standard measurements already. Especially metric hardware I mean what
                              > rubbish it all really is. 1/4-20, 5/16-18, 1/2-13 now those are manly
                              > threads. Not that effeminate metric stuff. (mostly the author is
                              > peeved here because he has to keep two inventories... )
                              >
                              > On a brighter note when I needed a different thread drawbar for my
                              > collet set I found a bolt that fit into the collet holder, sawed off
                              > its threads, then welded them to the end of a rod, with a nut welded
                              > to the top of the rod. I thought the whole idea was more than a bit
                              > shaky at the outset of that project, but I was desperate, I wanted the
                              > tooling on my machine, and it has held up over the years now, so it
                              > must have worked. I managed to do all of that in less time than it has
                              > taken to type this post. The drawbar I made is actually nicer than the
                              > one that shipped with my machine, that I had to shim up (put a round
                              > of wedge into that) with the end of a brass fitting, because that
                              > drawbar is too long for the spindle. Bear in mind I only use that
                              > drawbar with tooling that was also supplied with the machine. In other
                              > words all of this came together with the machine. The physical laws of
                              > the Universe are a bit different in Hubei province China I suppose.
                              >
                              > If I remember the next time I am at my workshop I'll have to take a
                              > picture of my homemade drawbar and post it to the group. Just to see
                              > what everyone thinks of my TIG welding prowess I guess.
                              >
                              > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <1.brouwerdrift@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hi,
                              > > I live in The Netherlands/ Europe and recently I bought an EMCO FB-2
                              > > clone. Nice quality all over!
                              > > It is equiped with a metric M10 socket head draw bar of 210
                              millimeter
                              > > length.
                              > >
                              > > My milling chuck has a 3/8-16 thread so I need an 3/8-16 X 8 1/4
                              inch
                              > > socket head cap bolt.
                              > > Sadly enough Imperial bolts are unobtainable here in Holland.......
                              > > I noticed that I could order somewhere in the States a bucket of
                              these
                              > > but that is a bit overdone.
                              > >
                              > > Does anyone of our fellow machinists know of someone who is
                              willing to
                              > > sell one (yes one !) 3/8-16 X 8 or 8 1/4 inch socket head draw bolt
                              > > over to The Netherlands??
                              > > Thanks for all your help!!

                            • Robert E. Hawley
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 7, 2007
                                Oh Oh what is empiric, is that a state of mind or a thread size?  I hope it’s a state of mind, I really cant handle another thread combination.  I really do like the "manly threads" though and do the think the metric stuff is a pain.   Bob

                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 7, 2007
                                  Well at least "Robert" wants a manly 3/8-16 thread :)

                                  I was at the town dumps the other day or so and picked up a pile of
                                  3/8sX16 thread shoulder nuts off the ground by the metal pile. Bou-yeah!

                                  You know they're headed right for my parts bin for that size. If
                                  hardware is really worth what I see charged for it then I'm a
                                  multimillionaire.

                                  --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Teague" <philteague@...> wrote:

                                  > Hey Paul,
                                  >
                                  > Count me as one in the manly thread camp.
                                  >
                                  > Hurah,
                                  > Phil

                                • Robert
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 8, 2007
                                    Oh Boy!! I'm affraid I started WW 3 with my Metric drawbar........

                                    To put some oil on the waves and try to calm things down a bit, I
                                    posted a picture of my quick and dirty draw bar which I just made up.
                                    And yes, I think it's the perfect marriage between "easy" Metric
                                    drill rod and "manly" Imperial thread. ;)
                                    It's in the EMCO clone photo file of this group.
                                    The 10DP gear was for a blacksmith friend of mine, he had an old
                                    fashioned shaper with one broken gear. It's running fine now. Yeah, I
                                    know it's a mess in my workshop but I simply don't have any more
                                    space available....
                                    BTW, the Arab letters are on an old 50's enameled soft drink sign!
                                    Hopefully, if time permits, I can add some more photo's later on of
                                    this little miller.
                                    I plan to convert it to CNC later on. Anybody done that with this
                                    machine??

                                    I also would like to thank all the friends who have tried to get me
                                    one ready made bolt. Unfortunately, nowadays American dealers don't
                                    like to send abroad any longer, so I couldn't get one directly.

                                    But now another topic.
                                    The quill bearings are a bit sloppy (axialy and radialy 0.005" play
                                    after normal tightening the quill with the socket head screw....)
                                    Before I start tearing apart the geared head to see if this can be
                                    adjusted, is it possible at all to adjust quill bearings on this
                                    machine??
                                    In the factory info the quill appeares as one complete unit...

                                    Happy milling!

                                    Robert