Re: Most bang for the buck?

  • Kenneth A. Emmert
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 6, 2007
      Understood! Also look up the feedback on the machines -
      > interesting items.
      > For most applications they are just fine and I am still wondering
      > why I just don't buy one. I am troubled by several comments
      > however: 1) severe noise and vibration at high speed and 2)
      > recommentdations to fill the column with sand or concrete that
      > expands a little.

      I picked up a RF31 from HF about 6 weeks ago for $750 when they had
      those 15% off any one item coupons out.

      M/D RF31 was a much better model than the floor version with scraped
      ways. Machine is happy except I need to do some adjustment on fine
      feed movement not as smooth as I would like. Also a change out to 220
      volt from 110 version delivered. Its a dual voltage motor and a minor
      project.

      Vibration and Mill/Drills go together when your cut exceeds the mills
      rigidity. Think of it kind of like an alarm bell! Filling the column
      can help also a good heavy stand. Not the sheetmetal junk they sell
      as a stand.

      Ken
    • Druid Noibn
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 6, 2007
        Hi Ken,

        Reading a few posts on the topic, it seems there is an issue with the HF/Grizzly...et al., machines reagrding the vibration at high speeds.  It appears that a tech at Grizzly suggests that it is endemic, due to the play between the spline drive shaft and the spindle/quill.  The suggestion is/was to use heavy grease here.

        Inferring from your note - we need to recognize the limitations of the machines and while pushing them a bit is a lot of fun, the bench-top unit is not a Bridgeport knee machine <SMILE>.

        Let us know how your work progresses - appreciate the info!

        Take care,
        DBN

        "Kenneth A. Emmert" <mds1878@...> wrote:
        Understood! Also look up the feedback on the machines -
        > interesting items.
        > For most applications they are just fine and I am still wondering
        > why I just don't buy one. I am troubled by several comments
        > however: 1) severe noise and vibration at high speed and 2)
        > recommentdations to fill the column with sand or concrete that
        > expands a little.

        I picked up a RF31 from HF about 6 weeks ago for $750 when they had
        those 15% off any one item coupons out.

        M/D RF31 was a much better model than the floor version with scraped
        ways. Machine is happy except I need to do some adjustment on fine
        feed movement not as smooth as I would like. Also a change out to 220
        volt from 110 version delivered. Its a dual voltage motor and a minor
        project.

        Vibration and Mill/Drills go together when your cut exceeds the mills
        rigidity. Think of it kind of like an alarm bell! Filling the column
        can help also a good heavy stand. Not the sheetmetal junk they sell
        as a stand.

        Ken

        Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.

      • Paul Williamson
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 6, 2007
          Try the Feener Power twist belts.
          It might surprise you.

          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 6, 2007
            Hi Paul,

            I gather the belts address the issue?  Is the elasticity different?  just curious as I do not own the machine.

            Take care,
            DBN

            Paul Williamson <chue2k@...> wrote:
            Try the Feener Power twist belts.
            It might surprise you.

            Reading a few posts on the topic, it seems there is an issue with the HF/Grizzly.. .et al., machines reagrding the vibration at high speeds.  It appears that a tech at Grizzly suggests that it is endemic, due to the play between the spline drive shaft and the spindle/quill.  The suggestion is/was to use heavy grease here.

            Inferring from your note - we need to recognize the limitations of the machines and while pushing them a bit is a lot of fun, the bench-top unit is not a Bridgeport knee machine <SMILE>.

            Let us know how your work progresses - appreciate the info!

            Take care,
            DBN

            "Kenneth A. Emmert" <mds1878@comcast. net> wrote:
            Understood! Also look up the feedback on the machines -
            > interesting items.
            > For most applications they are just fine and I am still wondering
            > why I just don't buy one. I am troubled by several comments
            > however: 1) severe noise and vibration at high speed and 2)
            > recommentdations to fill the column with sand or concrete that
            > expands a little.

            I picked up a RF31 from HF about 6 weeks ago for $750 when they had
            those 15% off any one item coupons out.

            M/D RF31 was a much better model than the floor version with scraped
            ways. Machine is happy except I need to do some adjustment on fine
            feed movement not as smooth as I would like. Also a change out to 220
            volt from 110 version delivered. Its a dual voltage motor and a minor
            project.

            Vibration and Mill/Drills go together when your cut exceeds the mills
            rigidity. Think of it kind of like an alarm bell! Filling the column
            can help also a good heavy stand. Not the sheetmetal junk they sell
            as a stand.

            Ken

            Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.

            Got a little couch potato?

          • rgsparber@aol.com
            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 6, 2007
              In a message dated 8/6/2007 9:28:00 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
              druid_noibn@... writes:

              Try the Feener Power twist belts.
              It might surprise you.

              I put these belts on my RF30 and noticed some difference but it was not
              dramatic.

              If you do decide to go with these belts, be sure to buy enough of it. I
              bought about 8" more than I figured I needed and ended up using all of it. I also
              recommend you check on eBay for the best price.

              One nice thing about these belts is they are clean. My old belts were very
              dirty and changing them left my hands covered with black gunge. The mill does
              run quieter but the finish is about the same.

              Rick Sparber
              rgsparber@...
              web site: http://rick.sparber.org

            • Bill P
              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 6, 2007
                Rick.. a couple of questions, please.
                I have both an HF 33686 and a Big Red HF42976....
                I've never been able to establish which of the "RF"
                these machines actually are equivalent to, which size
                belts they use and how long for each.
                Is your RF30 the same or equivalent ( +- } as either of mine?
                Thx... Bill 40th and Tbird

                rgsparber@... wrote:

                > Try the Feener Power twist belts.
                > It might surprise you.
                >
                > I put these belts on my RF30 and noticed some difference but it was not
                > dramatic.
                >
                > If you do decide to go with these belts, be sure to buy enough of it. I
                > bought about 8" more than I figured I needed and ended up using all of
                > it. I also
                > recommend you check on eBay for the best price.
                >
                > One nice thing about these belts is they are clean. My old belts were
                > very
                > dirty and changing them left my hands covered with black gunge. The
                > mill does
                > run quieter but the finish is about the same.
                >
                > Rick Sparber
                > rgsparber@... <mailto:rgsparber%40AOL.com>
                > web site: http://rick.sparber.org <http://rick.sparber.org>

              • Andre' Blanchard
                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 7, 2007
                  --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "George Vigneron" <gvig01@...>
                  wrote:

                  > My thanks to all who have responded to my questions.
                  >
                  > I have looked at Harbor Freight, and I admit to buying from HF at
                  > times, but their machinery has always had such a "shop worn" and
                  > "cheap" look that I am a bit shy of making a purchase of this
                  > magnitude there. The Wholesale Tools machines look better to me, but
                  > probably because I already am a WT customer and know their quality
                  of
                  > service which is in addition to the quality of their product.
                  >
                  > Lathemaster looks very, very good to me, but price is of much
                  > consideration, as is the ease of driving easily to the store (Tulsa)
                  > and saving freight. Of course that means paying state sales tax...
                  > sigh... can't avoid all of lifes potholes.
                  >
                  > Homier and the others, when including the freight come almost up to
                  > the same machine costs as in Tulsa, so no deal there, why spend the
                  > same money there when I cannot put my hands on the machine first and
                  > have not formed the trust that I have with WT? Am I nuts here?? (not
                  > trying to start a new thread, just a rhetorical question)
                  >
                  > I have finally decided that I will shell out the extra loot and go
                  > with a square column/gear drive unit. A square column/belt drive
                  would
                  > be nice (potentially smoother operation, no gear noise) but that
                  > combination does not exist.
                  >
                  > So... unless a good deal hits me in the head in the very, very near
                  > future, I will be heading up to Tulsa and WT.
                  >
                  > As was noted, I do live in an area where there is a dearth of
                  > machinery, ever since the oil patch dried up and many machine shops
                  > moved away from central Oklahoma.
                  >
                  > Again, many thanks for the time and thoughts. You guys are much
                  > appreciated. Thanks for letting me into your days for just a minute
                  or so.

                  > George Vigneron

                  I have been researching square column bench mills to do a CNC
                  conversion on for a while now and from what I have seen the best bang
                  for the buck is looking like the one from Industrial Hobbies.
                  http://www.industrialhobbies.com/Products/square_column_mill_2.htm

                  It just looks like they have got more of the details right for a solid
                  ready to use mill.
                  ______________
                  Andre' B.
                • Druid Noibn
                  Message 8 of 30 , Aug 7, 2007
                    Hi Andre’,

                    Yes that is one nice machine and Industrial Hobbies seems to take great pride in their offerings.  For some members here, the pricing is just out of reach.  No doubt the quality is there but the money may not be.

                    Thanks for the reminder.

                    Take care,
                    DBN

                    wrote:

                    > My thanks to all who have responded to my questions.
                    >
                    > I have looked at Harbor Freight, and I admit to buying from HF at
                    > times, but their machinery has always had such a "shop worn" and
                    > "cheap" look that I am a bit shy of making a purchase of this
                    > magnitude there. The Wholesale Tools machines look better to me, but
                    > probably because I already am a WT customer and know their quality
                    of
                    > service which is in addition to the quality of their product.
                    >
                    > Lathemaster looks very, very good to me, but price is of much
                    > consideration, as is the ease of driving easily to the store (Tulsa)
                    > and saving freight. Of course that means paying state sales tax...
                    > sigh... can't avoid all of lifes potholes.
                    >
                    > Homier and the others, when including the freight come almost up to
                    > the same machine costs as in Tulsa, so no deal there, why spend the
                    > same money there when I cannot put my hands on the machine first and
                    > have not formed the trust that I have with WT? Am I nuts here?? (not
                    > trying to start a new thread, just a rhetorical question)
                    >
                    > I have finally decided that I will shell out the extra loot and go
                    > with a square column/gear drive unit. A square column/belt drive
                    would
                    > be nice (potentially smoother operation, no gear noise) but that
                    > combination does not exist.
                    >
                    > So... unless a good deal hits me in the head in the very, very near
                    > future, I will be heading up to Tulsa and WT.
                    >
                    > As was noted, I do live in an area where there is a dearth of
                    > machinery, ever since the oil patch dried up and many machine shops
                    > moved away from central Oklahoma.
                    >
                    > Again, many thanks for the time and thoughts. You guys are much
                    > appreciated. Thanks for letting me into your days for just a minute
                    or so.

                    > George Vigneron

                    I have been researching square column bench mills to do a CNC
                    conversion on for a while now and from what I have seen the best bang
                    for the buck is looking like the one from Industrial Hobbies.
                    http://www.industri alhobbies. com/Products/ square_column_ mill_2.htm

                    It just looks like they have got more of the details right for a solid
                    ready to use mill.
                    ____________ __
                    Andre' B.

                    Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

                  • j eric townsend
                    Message 9 of 30 , Aug 9, 2007
                      Sorry for the slightly off-topic post, but is anyone on this list in/near Pittsburgh, PA? If so, where do you go for metal stock?

                      I've been on the phone all morning trying to find someone to sell me a small piece of 1/4" plate and 20' or so of tube steel. I can't believe that a town so attached to the steel industry doesn't have a single place that can sell small amounts of steel to a one-man shop.

                      --
                      jet / KG6ZVQ
                      http://www.flatline.net
                      Message 10 of 30 , Aug 9, 2007
                        Lately I've been buying small pieces from the scrap guy that buys
                        aluminum cans. There is such a market for scrap that they started
                        buying brass and just about everything else, including steel. I've
                        been buying small pieces of steel, including flat, bar and tubing.

                        They have all the shops sending small quantities to them as scrap and
                        they buy it. I pay a lot less than new market price and it's all
                        good, new stuff, just what I'm looking for.

                        I was able to make contact with one supplier for the special new
                        stuff I need by going to a local welding shop and getting the name of
                        some of there suppliers. I found it helped when I showed up at their
                        place and said that such and such said I should talk to them. I think
                        being there in person and explaining what you are doing helps. They
                        have scrap pieces that they will sell, but most of them won't waist
                        their time on the phone. Good Luck.

                        Mark

                        Message 11 of 30 , Aug 9, 2007
                          Just an update -- it turns out there's a Metal Supermarket not too far away, so I can always go there if need be.

                          At 11:13 -0400 8/9/07, j eric townsend wrote:
                          >Sorry for the slightly off-topic post, but is anyone on this list in/near Pittsburgh, PA? If so, where do you go for metal stock?
                          >
                          >I've been on the phone all morning trying to find someone to sell me a small piece of 1/4" plate and 20' or so of tube steel. I can't believe that a town so attached to the steel industry doesn't have a single place that can sell small amounts of steel to a one-man shop.
                          >
                          >--
                          >jet / KG6ZVQ
                          >http://www.flatline.net
                          >pgp: 0xD0D8C2E8 AC9B 0A23 C61A 1B4A 27C5 F799 A681 3C11 D0D8 C2E8

                          jet / KG6ZVQ
                          http://www.flatline.net
                          pgp: 0xD0D8C2E8 AC9B 0A23 C61A 1B4A 27C5 F799 A681 3C11 D0D8 C2E8
                        • Teagus
                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 19, 2007
                            metal supermarket is a good source. Also try Omslaer Steel in
                            Coraopolis. Valley Steel is in Rochester, Beaver County.
                          • Paul
                            Message 13 of 30 , Sep 19, 2007
                              At the correct surface feet per minute for the cutter and the material
                              these machines mill OK. I do have my machine on a pretty heavy
                              homemade stand too. They're no Bridgeports but you can cut with them.

                              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Kenneth A. Emmert" <mds1878@...>