Re: [mill_drill] Re: Homier 03988

  • Robert E. Hawley
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 1, 2007
      Man last month Harbor Freight flyer had 2 whole pages devoted to letting you
      know about the ship to store deal. I ordered mine on a Monday and next
      Monday it was at the store, that is much quicker than Grizzly or Enco have
      ever shipped anything to me. When I ordered the machine the store manager
      looked on her computer and told me they 16 in the warehouse and more on the
      way. My fear was I would order the thing and then wait for 6 weeks. Not
      the case at all. One more point to mention the crate was as pristine as the
      day it was packed in China. Bob

      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 1, 2007
        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Curt Wuollet <wideopen@...> wrote:

        > Just to give you an idea, I asked HF CS about the new
        > ship to store policy and they knew nothing about it.
        > They also said stores don't do the price match thing.
        > They did reiterate that I should just order it and they
        > would give me the low price guarantee. I think the
        > thing to do is to take checkbook in hand and go to
        > the store and haggle.

        Or just buy the Homier. I
        > wonder if you can order an R8 spindle from
        > say Grizzly and have it fit?

        Sure, you can buy the R-8 spindle for a Grizzly G1006 for $156.25 plus
        $16.00 shipping. I guess the bearings would fit from the Homier
        spindle or you could by new ones for another $75.

        However, if don't already own R-8 tooling you might be just as well
        off with MT-3 spindle. There is plenty of MT3 stuff available and it
        doesn't anymore than R-8.
      • Curt Wuollet
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 14, 2007
          OK, so HF doesn't want to deal, and I worked two 12 hour
          shifts this weekend, which makes the idea more comfortable.
          I think the Homier is going to get the nod.
          How do they work this motor freight thing? I have visions
          of a semi pulling up with a 700 lb crate on the back and
          expecting me to do something about it. Can you get a
          reasonably firm time? I work 90 minutes away so I
          need some logistics here.

          Regards

          cww

          --
          Franklin D. Roosevelt Wrote about that other famous monopoly in 1938:
          "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of
          private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic State
          itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership of government by an
          individual, by a group or by any controlling private power." But the
          conviction of Standard Oil stood. Our government is already powerless
          against today's monopoly. Only the people can prevail.
        • Kenneth A. Emmert
          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 15, 2007
            How do they work this motor freight thing? I have visions
            of a semi pulling up with a 700 lb crate on the back and
            expecting me to do something about it. Can you get a
            reasonably firm time? I work 90 minutes away so I
            need some logistics here.

            Regards

            cww

            Easy when you order the machine tell them to hold it at frieght
            terminal for pickup. Any pickup truck will transport a mill/drill
            and it is a lot closer to the ground than a semi truck. Truck
            frieght can deliver to your house with a lift gate for a $75.00
            extra charge usually.
            While still in pickup remove MD from shipping crate and base bolts
            first and use a 2 ton equipment or engine lift. Lift up mill/Drill
            and drive pickup out from under. Lower mill/drill to about 4 inches
            off ground and roll using equipment lift. I did this by myself a
            few weeks ago in less than hour.
            If you do not have an equipment lift they can be rented at many
            places. Have good lifting straps or chain this always seems
            difficult the first time and having help is a great advantage. Try
            lifting and moving a 4,000 lb piece and a mill/drill seems simple.

            Ken
          • Glenn N
            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 15, 2007
              I just had them deliver it to the trucking company dock and they called me to come get it.  Went down and they loaded it up in my truck and away we go..

              --
              Franklin D. Roosevelt Wrote about that other famous monopoly in 1938:
              "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of
              private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic State
              itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership of government by an
              individual, by a group or by any controlling private power." But the
              conviction of Standard Oil stood. Our government is already powerless
              against today's monopoly. Only the people can prevail.

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  mailto:mill_drill-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  mailto:mill_drill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • figNoggle
              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 15, 2007
                hi curt-

                if you have them deliver it by truck, you can request that the driver call
                you when they're 30-60 minutes away. you can order liftgate service as
                well or wait until the driver shows up and ask nicely if they'd unload the
                crate. or glenn's suggestion also works. this gives the dock guys
                something to stare at for a while especially if you remove the crate on
                the spot :)

                hope this helps!
                david

                --