Re:Geniune RF 45 vs. IH 12Z

  • Eugene N. Neigoff
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 11, 2007
      IMHO I have the RF-45 and a IH and I prefer the the IH.  It is a great piece of metal.  I am converting it to cnc.

    • Kirk
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 12, 2007
        I have a RF45 with power downfeed and 3 axis Accurite 100s DRO. Not
        too many complaints so far. I did have to make a collar for the quill
        since the power downfeed model doesn't come with a quill collar since
        it doesn't have the scale on the front face of the head like the
        manual versions and all the similar clones. I also had to make some
        1.600" spacer blocks for the electrical box on the left side of the
        head since it is mounted right in the way of where my z-axis slide
        mounts to the head. The z-axis travel on mine measures 5.197" using a
        4" slide. A 4" slide will measure more than 4" and you would be hard
        pressed to fit anything bigger than a 5" slide on the head anyways
        without it hanging over. And you really don't want to do too much
        machining with the quill down that far anyways.

        Kirk

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "gadgetfanatic" <hayesdt@...>
        wrote:

        > I am at a point now where I am ready to purchase a benchtop manual
        > Mill/Drill. To augment my Bridgeport Boss 5.
        >
        > I am intrested in the wisdom of the group in comparing the
        Industrial
        > Hobbies IH 12Z and the Rong Fu RF 45.
        >
        > 1. How does the quality/Accuracy/Fit of the IH 12Z compare to the
        > Geniune RF 45 ?
        >
        > 2. I am considering an Acu-Rite 200S 3-Axis for the mill I
        purchase,
        > and would like recommendations as to the scale lengths. The
        recommended
        > Z-Scale for the RF 45 is listed as 4", but the Quil Travel is 5".
        Is it
        > possible to mount a 6" scale on the RF 45 ?
        >
        > Thanks

      • gadgetfanatic
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 12, 2007
          Kirk:

          Thanks, I went ahead and ordered the RF45 with the power downfeed
          option. I wasn't originally intending to purchase the power
          downfeed, but I didn't want to mess with the 3PH unit without power
          downfeed, and figured with the cost of the VFD factored in, I might
          as well have the power downfeed.

          I really appreciate the feedback on the 4" scale, as I purchased a
          200S with 3-Axis scales to go on the machine, and 4" was the size
          that is recommended for this machine.

          I will post a message when I get the machine.

          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Kirk" <qirk007@...> wrote:

          > I have a RF45 with power downfeed and 3 axis Accurite 100s DRO.
          Not
          > too many complaints so far. I did have to make a collar for the
          quill
          > since the power downfeed model doesn't come with a quill collar
          since
          > it doesn't have the scale on the front face of the head like the
          > manual versions and all the similar clones. I also had to make
          some
          > 1.600" spacer blocks for the electrical box on the left side of
          the
          > head since it is mounted right in the way of where my z-axis slide
          > mounts to the head. The z-axis travel on mine measures 5.197"
          using a
          > 4" slide. A 4" slide will measure more than 4" and you would be
          hard
          > pressed to fit anything bigger than a 5" slide on the head anyways
          > without it hanging over. And you really don't want to do too much
          > machining with the quill down that far anyways.
          >
          > Kirk
          >

          > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "gadgetfanatic" <hayesdt@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I am at a point now where I am ready to purchase a benchtop
          manual
          > > Mill/Drill. To augment my Bridgeport Boss 5.
          > >
          > > I am intrested in the wisdom of the group in comparing the
          > Industrial
          > > Hobbies IH 12Z and the Rong Fu RF 45.
          > >
          > > 1. How does the quality/Accuracy/Fit of the IH 12Z compare to
          the
          > > Geniune RF 45 ?
          > >
          > > 2. I am considering an Acu-Rite 200S 3-Axis for the mill I
          > purchase,
          > > and would like recommendations as to the scale lengths. The
          > recommended
          > > Z-Scale for the RF 45 is listed as 4", but the Quil Travel is
          5".
          > Is it
          > > possible to mount a 6" scale on the RF 45 ?
          > >
          > > Thanks

        • Michael Parrish
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 12, 2007
            I too have a Rong Fu 45 W/power downfeed and 2 spd 3 phase motor. I
            use an Automation Direct GS2 VFD with a long cable to put the remote
            keypad on the front of the head. I have a Z DRO, had to make the
            collar too (1 1/4" aluminum plate). My slide is 6", and mounted on the
            front of the head. It fit. Power downfeed does do a nice, uniform, job
            of boring. The power down feed/depth dial only goes round 4" when you
            use it. It has all been kind of moot so far. Enjoy your JFC45N2F, MIKE

          • gadgetfanatic
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 18, 2007
              Thanks:

              My mill arrived yesterday, with a small amount of box damage, but no
              visible damage to the machine. I will start the setup tonight, and
              hopefully have it running this weekend.

              The DRO's came from a separate source, and haven't arrived yet.

              I will post some pictures as soon as possible.

              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Parrish" <mike@...>
              wrote:

> [...]
              the
              > > > manual versions and all the similar clones. I also had to make
              > > some
              > > > 1.600" spacer blocks for the electrical box on the left side
              of
              > > the
              > > > head since it is mounted right in the way of where my z-axis
              slide
              > > > mounts to the head. The z-axis travel on mine measures 5.197"
              > > using a
              > > > 4" slide. A 4" slide will measure more than 4" and you would
              be
              > > hard
              > > > pressed to fit anything bigger than a 5" slide on the head
              anyways
              > > > without it hanging over. And you really don't want to do too
              much
              > > > machining with the quill down that far anyways.

            • Kenneth A. Emmert
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 19, 2007
                I am intrested in the wisdom of the group in comparing the
                Industrial Hobbies IH 12Z and the Rong Fu RF 45.

                I missed this thread originally and I am involved with IH project.
                As well as owning an RF45.

                IH bed mill has different castings than the RF45. They are heavier
                in needed areas and machine has extensive ribbing and re-enforcement
                points not found in an RF45.
                A hardened gear set along with 3 phase a VFD option that provides
                great torque and complete speed control between 10 to 3850 rpm.
                Milling plane is 12 x 30" 360 inches versus my RF45 with about 186
                inches of usable milling area.
                IH mill column with 12.5" Head collar is several times more rigid
                than the RF45. In CNC version it is capable of drilling an 11/8th
                hole through a 3" 6061 aluminum block at 7 inches a minute with 2
                retracts. Without vibration!
                Way finish, lead screws and gears are significantly better than
                Chinese RF45 versions. While it is Asian iron it has been
                significantly redesigned by an American Engineer.
                A Turn Key CNC version is now available that is completely ready to
                run including Mach 3 and Dolphin Partmaster 2 CAD/CAM. This is a
                closed-loop Servo system; capable of high fluid flow operation. CNC
                system is installedin the USA using American made ballscrews, servo
                motors and encoders. A summer special is on for less than 10k for a
                complete CNC 3-axis milling system at www. Industrialhobbies.com

                Ken
              • iqc4unme
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 20, 2007
                  --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Kenneth A. Emmert" <mds1878@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I am intrested in the wisdom of the group in comparing the
                  > Industrial Hobbies IH 12Z and the Rong Fu RF 45.
                  >
                  > I missed this thread originally and I am involved with IH project.
                  > As well as owning an RF45.
                  >
                  > IH bed mill has different castings than the RF45. They are heavier
                  > in needed areas and machine has extensive ribbing and re-enforcement
                  > points not found in an RF45.
                  > A hardened gear set along with 3 phase a VFD option that provides
                  > great torque and complete speed control between 10 to 3850 rpm.
                  > Milling plane is 12 x 30" 360 inches versus my RF45 with about 186
                  > inches of usable milling area.
                  > IH mill column with 12.5" Head collar is several times more rigid
                  > than the RF45. In CNC version it is capable of drilling an 11/8th
                  > hole through a 3" 6061 aluminum block at 7 inches a minute with 2
                  > retracts. Without vibration!
                  > Way finish, lead screws and gears are significantly better than
                  > Chinese RF45 versions. While it is Asian iron it has been
                  > significantly redesigned by an American Engineer.
                  > A Turn Key CNC version is now available that is completely ready to
                  > run including Mach 3 and Dolphin Partmaster 2 CAD/CAM. This is a
                  > closed-loop Servo system; capable of high fluid flow operation. CNC
                  > system is installedin the USA using American made ballscrews, servo
                  > motors and encoders. A summer special is on for less than 10k for a
                  > complete CNC 3-axis milling system at www. Industrialhobbies.com
                  >
                  > Ken

                  I have the newer IH mill. That sucker is heavy. So far, it has done a
                  good job. LOVE the work envelope! I think I won`t need anything bigger
                  for quite some time. Not knockin the RF 45 guys here as I almost
                  bought one. Glad I didn`t. The larger collar is impressive. Bang for
                  the buck wise, hard to beat. Have to admit though, bled through the
                  nose to get it shipped to my local. 1000 LB item ain`t cheap to mail!
                  Hehehe!
                • Druid Noibn
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 20, 2007
                    Hi,

                    The IH item is impressive as it the price. So, it would be a great help to note how the unit differs.  Any & all comments are appreciated.

                    "I have the newer IH mill. That sucker is heavy. So far, it has done a
                    good job. LOVE the work envelope! I think I won`t need anything bigger
                    for quite some time. Not knockin the RF 45 guys here as I almost
                    bought one. Glad I didn`t. The larger collar is impressive. Bang for
                    the buck wise, hard to beat. Have to admit though, bled through the
                    nose to get it shipped to my local. 1000 LB item ain`t cheap to mail!
                    Hehehe!"

                    Got a little couch potato?

                  • J.-C. Gerber
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 21, 2007
                      Does some of you know a website or a Newsgroup with some examples of an RF45 modified for CNC.

                      I have swapped a drill grinding machine against an RF45 and am now considering a modification with step motors. That would help me in my project.

                      Thank you for any help

                      Jean-Claude, Switzerland
                      www.homestead.com/turnandmill

                      > I am intrested in the wisdom of the group in comparing the
                      > Industrial Hobbies IH 12Z and the Rong Fu RF 45.
                      >
                      > I missed this thread originally and I am involved with IH project.
                      > As well as owning an RF45.
                      >
                      > IH bed mill has different castings than the RF45. They are heavier
                      > in needed areas and machine has extensive ribbing and re-enforcement
                      > points not found in an RF45.
                      > A hardened gear set along with 3 phase a VFD option that provides
                      > great torque and complete speed control between 10 to 3850 rpm.
                      > Milling plane is 12 x 30" 360 inches versus my RF45 with about 186
                      > inches of usable milling area.
                      > IH mill column with 12.5" Head collar is several times more rigid
                      > than the RF45. In CNC version it is capable of drilling an 11/8th
                      > hole through a 3" 6061 aluminum block at 7 inches a minute with 2
                      > retracts. Without vibration!
                      > Way finish, lead screws and gears are significantly better than
                      > Chinese RF45 versions. While it is Asian iron it has been
                      > significantly redesigned by an American Engineer.
                      > A Turn Key CNC version is now available that is completely ready to
                      > run including Mach 3 and Dolphin Partmaster 2 CAD/CAM. This is a
                      > closed-loop Servo system; capable of high fluid flow operation. CNC
                      > system is installedin the USA using American made ballscrews, servo
                      > motors and encoders. A summer special is on for less than 10k for a
                      > complete CNC 3-axis milling system at www. Industrialhobbies. com
                      >
                      > Ken

                      I have the newer IH mill. That sucker is heavy. So far, it has done a
                      good job. LOVE the work envelope! I think I won`t need anything bigger
                      for quite some time. Not knockin the RF 45 guys here as I almost
                      bought one. Glad I didn`t. The larger collar is impressive. Bang for
                      the buck wise, hard to beat. Have to admit though, bled through the
                      nose to get it shipped to my local. 1000 LB item ain`t cheap to mail!
                      Hehehe!

                    • Ray Livingston
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 21, 2007
                        Jean-Claude,