Opinions on Grizzley deluxe small mill/drill

  • dionljohnsonii
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 24, 2007
      I am looking for a replacement for my old, loose drill press and this
      caught my eye:
      http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2007/Main/545
      Supposedly a "new" product.

      It might replace my Rong Fu RF-30, too.

      On my old Rong Fu, I never know just where the head will be when it's
      tightened down because of the round column, so I want to try a dovetail
      column. Also, the 90deg tilt looks interesting - a way to avoid some
      of the weird block/bracing furniture schemes I sometimes need to mill
      things on the Rong Fu. Variable speed is a lot nicer than belt
      changing. etc etc.

      If anyone has any opinions, or conjectures about this unit, I would
      love to hear. Thanks!
      -Dion
    • Jerry Kimberlin
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 24, 2007
        dionljohnsonii wrote:
        > http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2007/Main/545
        >
        > If anyone has any opinions, or conjectures about this unit, I would
        > love to hear. Thanks!

        It appears identical to a Sieg X3 or Super X3 depending on which you are
        looking at on the Grizzly page. See
        http://www.siegind.com/Products/blackred_milling-machine.htm If this
        appears to be the case, I think there is a Sieg group and you might ask
        there. You might like to look at other vendors to see if there is a
        price range or a supplier near you. Shipping on these heavy objects can
        be expensive.

        JerryK
      • fpres61
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 24, 2007
          Hello Dion,

          Suggest that you may want to check out www.mini-lathe.com

          Mr Hoosier has reviewed both of the the mill drills.

          Regards,

          Frank
          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "dionljohnsonii" <dionj@...>