Sherline mill for hobby work

  • Adam
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 14, 2007
      Anyone have experience or thoughts on a Sherline?

      I'm seriously considering one of the Sherline models for my first mill
      for small parts projects like r/c heli parts.

      It appears to be a good unit and sized practically for my small
      workshop, but I've never even used a mill before, much less seen one
      up close.

      thanks for any tips,

      Adam
    • Stan Stocker
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 15, 2007
        Hi Adam,

        We have several folks in CAMS who use Sherline mills for RC related
        parts fabrication. Another guy has converted to pure CNC and is making
        mirror cells for laser and optical bench use. I've only used a Sherline
        mill a few times as my needs are for larger equipment MOST of the time.
        I've just started doing clock repair professionally rather than just for
        fun, and either a Taig or Sherline mill would be very nice to have for
        the smaller work. Taig mills can handle larger work than Sherline, but
        Sherline has a lot more accessories available off the shelf, great
        support, and the variable speed motor is truly a thing of beauty!

        It is important to understand that mills of this size take small cuts.
        You might want to take a look at Sherlines site, and also Nick Carters
        site (www.cartertools.com) to get a bit more understanding of the
        capabilities of small desktop / benchtop machines. As you already use
        yahoo, you might want to join the Sherline and Taig groups and lurk a
        while and read through the message archives. The Taig versus Sherline
        question comes up periodically.

        As you will almost certainly end up also needing / wanting a lathe, the
        Taig / Sherline decision drives what lathe you purchase, as the same
        headstock is used for both machines.

        The small import mill / drills could be a consideration, but most folks
        seem to end up having the tweaking of the mill become the hobby or at
        least part of it rather than just using the tool to make stuff.

        Cheers,
        Stan