Bridgeport Power Feed on a Mill/Drill?

  • Henry Arnold
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 12, 2007
      Guys,

      Is it possible to use a Bridgeport power drive on a Mill/Drill such as
      the Grizzly G0519? I did a search on this group and it looks like I
      might have to come up with a way to extend the lead screw. Does this
      require that I turn the end of the screw down and then add an
      extension? Are the lead screws a hardened material? I will have my
      mill on a narrow stand so that the power drive can hang down. Has
      anyone done this?

      Thanks,
      Henry Arnold
    • Jon Gellman
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 13, 2007
        Here's a thread about my feed project. I don't know how similar your machine is to mine.

      • Henry Arnold
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 13, 2007
          Thanks. This thread was just what I was looking for. My mill is
          similar to the Industrial Hobbies Square Mill. This site from the
          thread has a perfect example:

          http://www.thewarfields.com/cnccookbook/CCMillPowerFeed.html

          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Jon Gellman" <gellfex@...> wrote:

          > Here's a thread about my feed project. I don't know how similar your
          machine is to mine.

          http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=22721&highlight=power+feed

        • mark
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 14, 2007
            Thanks Jon for the thread and the links to the pictures, they're great.

            After looking at the pictures, I was wondering if it would be possible
            to make a new mounting bracket for the motor housing to replace the
            existing bracket. Would this allow clearence above the housing?

            Mark

            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Jon Gellman" <gellfex@...> wrote:

            > Here's a thread about my feed project. I don't know how similar your
            machine is to mine.

            > http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?
            t=22721&highlight=power+feed

          • Bill Pace
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 14, 2007
              The Warfield site is really a good one and will prolly give you all
              you need ----- but FWIW The 6x26 mill is also similar in mounting a PF
              and there are a couple pix groups over there (at least I know mine is)
              that might be of help

              The 3-4 write-ups Ive read of doing this were all quite a bit
              different approaches, yet ended up with functional PF's ----so read
              and view all the the pix you can and jump in there, it'll probably
              start to clear up as you tear into it. The PF mod is DEFINATELY worth
              the effort, REAL nice addition....

              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Henry Arnold" <henryarnold@...> wrote:

              > Thanks. This thread was just what I was looking for. My mill is
              > similar to the Industrial Hobbies Square Mill. This site from the
              > thread has a perfect example:
              >
              > http://www.thewarfields.com/cnccookbook/CCMillPowerFeed.html
              >

              > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Jon Gellman" <gellfex@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Here's a thread about my feed project. I don't know how similar your
              > machine is to mine.

              http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=22721&highlight=power+feed

            • gellfex
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 14, 2007
                I don't understand the question. Also, are you referring to my custom
                mounting, or another in the thread?

                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "mark" <gmiller4396@...> wrote:

                > Thanks Jon for the thread and the links to the pictures, they're great.
                >
                > After looking at the pictures, I was wondering if it would be possible
                > to make a new mounting bracket for the motor housing to replace the
                > existing bracket. Would this allow clearence above the housing?
                >
                > Mark

              • mark
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 14, 2007
                  Jon, I was looking at the pictures on the CNC site and it seems as if
                  the number of parts to be made was kept to the minimum (two?), which
                  is good. It looks like the bracket that comes with the pf and
                  the "spacer/mounting bracket that needs to be made are higher than the
                  top of the table.

                  I was wondering if a new bracket to hold the pf could be made and a
                  new bracket to mount it to, could be lower in height and be no
                  higher than the top of the table. Since I don't have a unit yet, I
                  have nothing to work from, or know what will work.

                  The mounting, as is, is a great way, but I was wondering if other
                  things could be done, before I jump into this, which I definently will.
                  This answered many questions I had.

                  Mark

                  --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "gellfex" <gellfex@...> wrote:

                  > I don't understand the question. Also, are you referring to my custom
                  > mounting, or another in the thread?
                  >
                  > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "mark" <gmiller4396@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Thanks Jon for the thread and the links to the pictures, they're
                  great.

                  > > After looking at the pictures, I was wondering if it would be
                  possible
                  > > to make a new mounting bracket for the motor housing to replace the
                  > > existing bracket. Would this allow clearence above the housing?
                  > >
                  > > Mark

                • mark
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 14, 2007
                    Jon, I went farther with the thread and found the picture of your
                    nine o'clock installation, and that picture answered my question.

                    Great job and thank you.

                    Did you ever find a cover for the bevel gear?

                    Mark

                    --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "mark" <gmiller4396@...> wrote:

                    > Jon, I was looking at the pictures on the CNC site and it seems as
                    if
                    > the number of parts to be made was kept to the minimum (two?),
                    which
                    > is good. It looks like the bracket that comes with the pf and
                    > the "spacer/mounting bracket that needs to be made are higher than
                    the
                    > top of the table.
                    >
                    > I was wondering if a new bracket to hold the pf could be made and a
                    > new bracket to mount it to, could be lower in height and be no
                    > higher than the top of the table. Since I don't have a unit yet, I
                    > have nothing to work from, or know what will work.
                    >
                    > The mounting, as is, is a great way, but I was wondering if other
                    > things could be done, before I jump into this, which I definently
                    will.
                    > This answered many questions I had.
                    >
                    > Mark
                    >
                    > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "gellfex" <gellfex@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I don't understand the question. Also, are you referring to my
                    custom
                    > > mounting, or another in the thread?
                    > >
                    > > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "mark" <gmiller4396@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Thanks Jon for the thread and the links to the pictures,
                    they're
                    > great.
                    > > >
                    > > > After looking at the pictures, I was wondering if it would be
                    > possible
                    > > > to make a new mounting bracket for the motor housing to replace
                    the
                    > > > existing bracket. Would this allow clearence above the housing?
                    > > >
                    > > > Mark

                  • j eric townsend
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 15, 2007
                      At 20:41 +0000 6/13/07, Henry Arnold wrote:
                      >Thanks. This thread was just what I was looking for. My mill is
                      >similar to the Industrial Hobbies Square Mill. This site from the
                      >thread has a perfect example:
                      >
                      >http://www.thewarfields.com/cnccookbook/CCMillPowerFeed.html

                      Thanks for the link, I think that just might be my first project with my IH mill.
                      --
                      jet / KG6ZVQ
                      http://www.flatline.net
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 3, 2007
                        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "mark" <gmiller4396@...> wrote:

                        > Did you ever find a cover for the bevel gear?
                        >
                        > Mark

                        I just got a dial/bevel cover on Ebay, a bridgeport knee dial with the
                        right .100/rev graduations. All is good, I'm in the middle of my first
                        big job with the feed and I'm loving it!

                        Next: I pick up the 2hp VFD I bought for the mill and variable speed
                        will make that old Jet real sweet.