new version of article: Harbor Freight Caliper Accuracy and Repeatability

  • rgsparber@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2007
      I have learned a lot since version 1 came out. For example, the name of this
      article is now Accuracy and Repeatability, not Accuracy and Precision.

      There is now a section that discusses the effects of temperature on the
      caliper.

      If you are interested, see

      _http://rick.sparber.org/Articles/PAC/PAC2.pdf_
      (http://rick.sparber.org/Articles/PAC/PAC2.pdf)

      As always, comments are welcome and do have an effect on future versions.

      Rick Sparber
      rgsparber@...
      web site: http://rick.sparber.org

    • Julian Garrett
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2007
        Rick, I picked up a new HF 6" caliper last night and did some
        measurement tests. I do not know how meaningful they are to your
        observations but here they are.
        Using a set of mic. standards from 1" to 5" I could read within .0005
        on each one of them. I tried each one 3 times each. I could get it to
        vary by .001 by the amount of pressure I used in closing the caliper.
        I tried it with my eyes closed several times so I could get the "feel"
        of when I was using the right pressure. What I observed was there was
        no incremental error with distance. I think they are accurate enough
        for my use.
        Julian