Re: [mill_drill] Re: Laser Center/Edge finder

  • rgsparber@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1, 2007
      LJ,

      If I understand you idea correctly, you want to use a hole and rod to give you alignment when you raise or lower the head. This should work fine within the limits of the fit between hole, rod, and how well the head is trammed.

      A standard trick for setting a reference is to mount a rod to some place near the vise pointing straight up. Establish 0,0 by using a DTI in the collet or drill chuck. You move the DTI around the rod by turning the spindle and reach 0,0 when the DTI reads a constant value.  In this way the center of the spindle will be centered on this rod as 0,0. After you move the head, again attach a DTI and re-establish 0,0 as done before.

      Rick Sparber
      rgsparber@...
      web site: http://rick.sparber.org

      See what's free at AOL.com.
    • n5kzw
      Message 2 of 11 , May 1, 2007
        There is another technology that uses a web cam mounted in the spindle
        with an application that overlays targets on the video. Google
        "CentreCam".

        Regards,
        Ed

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "larry_zigler" <larry_zigler@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > I am thinking about buying this gadget,
        > http://www.lasercenteredgefinder.com/main.html
        > <http://www.lasercenteredgefinder.com/main.html> ,
        >
        > hoping that besides center/edge finding it might help to locate the head
        > after moving it up or down. Does anybody actually use it? Is it really
        > that good and accurate as they claim? Any advice would be appreciated.
        >
        > Larry

      • miketreth
        Message 3 of 11 , May 2, 2007
          Hello all,