What size Rotary Table for my RF-31?

  • harterjohn
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 30, 2007
      Hi all,
      I'm trying to decide whether to purchase a 6" or an 8" rotary table
      for my RF-31. I don't have a specific project in mind yet - but I
      want to have the RT available for when I do!

      Gut feel tells me that "bigger is better", but I'd appreciate the
      views of the group on a couple of points:

      1) Will a typical 8" RT actually mount on the table of an RF-31, in
      both the horizontal and vertical modes, conveniently? (ie could I
      expect the table T-slots and RT mounting points to be "compatible")

      2) Given that "rigidity is everything", could I expect a similar
      precision/finish for a given part manufactured on a 6" or 8" RT
      (given that the part isn't oversized for the 6"). ie would the 8" RT
      necessarily produce better results, simply because it is
      more "solid".

      There is a big difference in the mass (and price!) of the 2 RTs, and
      I think the 6" would be big enough for the kind of work that I do,
      but I don't want to buy something that I have to "nurse along" in
      order to get good results! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

      regards,
      John in Australia
    • Joe Williams
      Message 2 of 11 , May 1 12:15 AM
        John,

        Great question! I'm in precisely the same position and was wondering the
        same thing. I'm thinking of cutting some gears eventually.

        -Joe

        >From: "harterjohn" <harterj@...>
        >To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [mill_drill] What size Rotary Table for my RF-31?
        >Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 06:21:48 -0000
        >
        >Hi all,
        >I'm trying to decide whether to purchase a 6" or an 8" rotary table
        >for my RF-31. I don't have a specific project in mind yet - but I
        >want to have the RT available for when I do!
        >
        >Gut feel tells me that "bigger is better", but I'd appreciate the
        >views of the group on a couple of points:
        >
        >1) Will a typical 8" RT actually mount on the table of an RF-31, in
        >both the horizontal and vertical modes, conveniently? (ie could I
        >expect the table T-slots and RT mounting points to be "compatible")
        >
        >2) Given that "rigidity is everything", could I expect a similar
        >precision/finish for a given part manufactured on a 6" or 8" RT
        >(given that the part isn't oversized for the 6"). ie would the 8" RT
        >necessarily produce better results, simply because it is
        >more "solid".
        >
        >There is a big difference in the mass (and price!) of the 2 RTs, and
        >I think the 6" would be big enough for the kind of work that I do,
        >but I don't want to buy something that I have to "nurse along" in
        >order to get good results! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
        >
        >regards,
        >John in Australia

        Interest Rates NEAR 39yr LOWS! $430,000 Mortgage for $1,299/mo - Calculate
        new payment
        http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-19132&moid=14888
      • harterjohn
        Message 3 of 11 , May 1 3:02 AM
          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Williams" <Joew94th@...>
          wrote:

          > John,
          >
          > Great question! I'm in precisely the same position and was
          wondering the
          > same thing. I'm thinking of cutting some gears eventually.
          >
          > -Joe

          Joe - wow, gear cutting! Might get there myself someday, but for now
          I was thinking more along the lines of bearing pillow blocks and
          covers.
          Possibly some splined shafts - who knows!
          I guess I'm keen to understand what the limitation of a 6" RT is.
          Would it be safe to assume that I can cut a 3" radius slot? How about
          4" radius, with suitable depth/rate? What is the limiting factor:
          finish, precision, RT wear... So many questions, so little time!

          regards,
          John.
        • warren_read
          Message 4 of 11 , May 1 3:57 AM
            For me I decided on the 150mm RT. When I looked at the 200mm unit in
            the shop it was quite a bit bigger and it actually seemed a little
            too big for the mill (RF-30). But I guess it depends on what you
            need to do with it. Most of my cutting will be a lot less than a
            150mm dia so the 150mm unit is fine. The other thing is I am
            assuming that I will be able to make adapter plate should the need
            arise.

            I did look into making one and found this site
            http://www.hobbymechanics.com.au/rotarytables.htm
            they sell the gears & plans but after adding up the cost it works out
            just as cost effective to buy one.

            H&F sell the 150mm RT for $359 and the 200mm for $559. They are the
            Vertex brand that seems to have good reports.

            Looking at Ozemstore on eBay they sell a 150mm rt for $330. But they
            do not respond to emails so its impossible to get any information on
            it.

            McJing (www.mcjing.com.au) sell a 160mm RT for $375 and a 200mm RT
            for $519. I looked at both of them and from memory I think the store
            price was $300 for the 160mm RT, but I might have that wrong. The RT
            seemed fine but Vertix unit looked to be a better built product and
            in my opinion worth the extra cost.

            I probably didn't answer your question but this information my be of
            some use to you.

            Warren
            (In Australia)

            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "harterjohn" <harterj@...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            > I'm trying to decide whether to purchase a 6" or an 8" rotary table
            > for my RF-31. I don't have a specific project in mind yet - but I
            > want to have the RT available for when I do!
            >
            > Gut feel tells me that "bigger is better", but I'd appreciate the
            > views of the group on a couple of points:
            >
            > 1) Will a typical 8" RT actually mount on the table of an RF-31, in
            > both the horizontal and vertical modes, conveniently? (ie could I
            > expect the table T-slots and RT mounting points to be "compatible")
            >
            > 2) Given that "rigidity is everything", could I expect a similar
            > precision/finish for a given part manufactured on a 6" or 8" RT
            > (given that the part isn't oversized for the 6"). ie would the 8"
            RT
            > necessarily produce better results, simply because it is
            > more "solid".
            >
            > There is a big difference in the mass (and price!) of the 2 RTs,
            and
            > I think the 6" would be big enough for the kind of work that I do,
            > but I don't want to buy something that I have to "nurse along" in
            > order to get good results! Any thoughts would be greatly
            appreciated!

            > regards,
            > John in Australia

          • Peter Sanders
            Message 5 of 11 , May 1 5:05 AM
              Hi John

              On Tue, 01 May 2007 18:02:30 +0800, harterjohn <harterj@...>
              wrote:

              >> Great question! I'm in precisely the same position and was
              > wondering the same thing. I'm thinking of cutting some gears eventually.
              >>
              >> -Joe
              >>

              > I guess I'm keen to understand what the limitation of a 6" RT is.
              > Would it be safe to assume that I can cut a 3" radius slot?

              Of course.

              > How about 4" radius, with suitable depth/rate? What is the limiting
              > factor:
              > finish, precision, RT wear... So many questions, so little time!

              The limiting factor is only a practical limitation. That is, how easy is
              it to set up and execute a machining procedure.

              The limiting radius that can be produced on a 6" table is in theory about
              the distance between your milling cutter and the mill's column.

              Of course you could not in a practical sense using a 6" RT, cut such a
              radius as 12" on a 1" thick steel plate 24" in diameter, however something
              in 1" thick aluminium about 12" diameter does not seem too impractical.

              These things *can* be done with the required diligence and care in setting
              up. Don't feel limited by the tool in use but DO BE extremely aware of
              PRACTICAL limitations, if you have ANY doubt about something you want to
              do, then either DON'T DO IT or seek advice first. :D

              HTH

              --
              Kind Regards

              Peter Sanders
            • jehancocy
              Message 6 of 11 , May 1 7:21 AM
                the 8" is too big for anything but large work that would tax the '31
                anyway. By the time you mount a chuck on it (I always seem to use
                one for rotary work) it will be over 8" high, maybe 9".

                wrote:

                > John,
                >
                > Great question! I'm in precisely the same position and was
                wondering the
                > same thing. I'm thinking of cutting some gears eventually.
                >
                > -Joe
                >

                > >From: "harterjohn" <harterj@...>
                > >To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
                > >Subject: [mill_drill] What size Rotary Table for my RF-31?
                > >Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 06:21:48 -0000
                > >
                > >Hi all,
                > >I'm trying to decide whether to purchase a 6" or an 8" rotary
                table
                > >for my RF-31. I don't have a specific project in mind yet - but I
                > >want to have the RT available for when I do!
                > >
                > >Gut feel tells me that "bigger is better", but I'd appreciate the
                > >views of the group on a couple of points:
                > >
                > >1) Will a typical 8" RT actually mount on the table of an RF-31,
                in
                > >both the horizontal and vertical modes, conveniently? (ie could I
                > >expect the table T-slots and RT mounting points to
                be "compatible")

                > >2) Given that "rigidity is everything", could I expect a similar
                > >precision/finish for a given part manufactured on a 6" or 8" RT
                > >(given that the part isn't oversized for the 6"). ie would the 8"
                RT
                > >necessarily produce better results, simply because it is
                > >more "solid".
                > >
                > >There is a big difference in the mass (and price!) of the 2 RTs,
                and
                > >I think the 6" would be big enough for the kind of work that I do,
                > >but I don't want to buy something that I have to "nurse along" in
                > >order to get good results! Any thoughts would be greatly
                appreciated!

                > >regards,
                > >John in Australia

                > Interest Rates NEAR 39yr LOWS! $430,000 Mortgage for $1,299/mo -
                Calculate
                > new payment
                > http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-
                19132&moid=14888

              • Glenn N
                Message 7 of 11 , May 1 11:48 AM
                  I have the 8" on my RF 45 and it is about as big as I would want to go on this machine. I have had it a few months and haven't really used it yet. I am thinking the 6" would have been a better choice for me. The weight is a real consideration and I really think the practicle differenc in function is small.
                  HTH
                  Glenn
[...]

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • corey renner
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 1 11:56 AM
                    I have an 8" phase 2.  I'm happy with the size, as Glenn says, anything larger is definitely out of the question.  Worst part about the 8" is putting it on and off the table.  The trouble with the smaller ones is that you run out of room for clamps/adapter plates, etc very rapidly.  Even on the 8" things can get tight.

                    cheers,

                    On 5/1/07, Glenn N <sleykin@...> wrote:

                    I have the 8" on my RF 45 and it is about as big as I would want to go on this machine. I have had it a few months and haven't really used it yet. I am thinking the 6" would have been a better choice for me. The weight is a real consideration and I really think the practicle differenc in function is small.
                    HTH
                    Glenn

                  • sdwest
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 1 12:06 PM
                      I have a 6" Phase II on my RF31, and I wouldn't want a bigger one I don't
                      think. I have found that ingenuity and imagination are very important
                      aspects of using a rotary table, at least as important as size at this
                      (early) point in my machining experience. This group has helped me with
                      both of those things. Buy the "T'-nuts, assorted threaded studs, and flange
                      nuts from McMaster Carr to fit, if you need to.

                      Wade

                      >I have the 8" on my RF 45 and it is about as big as I would want to go on
                      >this machine. I have had it a few months and haven't really used it yet.
                      >I am thinking the 6" would have been a better choice for me. The weight is
                      >a real consideration and I really think the practicle differenc in function
                      >is small.
                      > HTH
                      > Glenn

                    • Joe Williams
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 2 10:49 AM
                        I hope those prices are in Austrailian dollars because they look rather big
                        to me. The 6" HF RT sells for about $169 US. The 8" is $199 U.S.
                        -Joe

                        Exercise your brain! Try Flexicon.
                      • harterjohn
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 2 3:50 PM
                          Hi Joe,
                          yes the prices below are in AU$, but they are still high (US$199 =
                          AU$242 at current exchange rates) - so you are still getting your 8"
                          for less than half price!

                          By the way, I've decided on the 6" (thanks for the advice, all!) and
                          pick it up this weekend (along with a chuck, and some Tee nuts,
                          and...)