Re: [mill_drill] Fitting a "Align" Power feed.

  • Rick Kruger
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3, 2007
      I'm not entirely clear on what you situation is, but it sounds like
      the feed screw isn't long enough. That right? If so, you can
      extend. I did this when fitting an Align PF to my 6x26. It required
      taking the feed screw off the mill and having access to a lathe with
      a large enough spindle hole that the feed screw would fit
      inside. Shame to have to do that just for 1/4", but...

      I had to make several other modifications, including shortening the
      bevel gear and making a custom adapter plate, but it all went
      together nicely in the end.

      Rick

      At 01:28 PM 4/3/2007, you wrote:
      >Hi,
      >
      >Recently, I purchased a square column (RF 45 clone) mill/drill here in
      >the UK. Later I bought a "Align" 200S Power feed from a different
      >supplier and am having problems fitting it to the "x" axis.
      >
      >The shaft that the handwheel would sit on, together with it's dogclutch
      >which is pinned to the shaft, doesn't protrude far enough from the
      >table to allow the supplied cog to mesh with the pinion on the power
      >feed-It's about 1/4 inch short. Has anyone encountered this problem and
      >so suggest a simple solution ?
      >
      >As many have said before, this is a great group. I've learned enough
      >about mills from contributors to give me the confidence to choose this
      >style of mill.
      >
      >Regards,
      > Colin
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • colhudson
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 9, 2007
        Thanks Rick,
        Sorry about the delay in acknowledging your reply. Yes the feedscrew
        isn't long enough and I do have a 13 x 30 lathe with a 1.5" spindle
        bore available.

        The reason for my post was my surprise in finding that the feed
        didn't fit straight out of the box. As already mentioned, I've been
        following this group for some time and have never seen a posting
        about problems fitting a "horizontal" power feed (Intended for a
        mill/drill, as opposed to a "vertical" 6x26 type ) to a RF45 clone.
        I have a pretty limited amount of workshop time available and was
        really hoping for a quick solution.

        Regards,
        Colin.

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Rick Kruger <krugerr@...> wrote:

        > I'm not entirely clear on what you situation is, but it sounds like
        > the feed screw isn't long enough. That right? If so, you can
        > extend. I did this when fitting an Align PF to my 6x26. It
        required
        > taking the feed screw off the mill and having access to a lathe
        with
        > a large enough spindle hole that the feed screw would fit
        > inside. Shame to have to do that just for 1/4", but...
        >
        > I had to make several other modifications, including shortening the
        > bevel gear and making a custom adapter plate, but it all went
        > together nicely in the end.
        >
        > Rick
        >
        > At 01:28 PM 4/3/2007, you wrote:
        > >Hi,
        > >
        > >Recently, I purchased a square column (RF 45 clone) mill/drill
        here in
        > >the UK. Later I bought a "Align" 200S Power feed from a different
        > >supplier and am having problems fitting it to the "x" axis.
        > >
        > >The shaft that the handwheel would sit on, together with it's
        dogclutch
        > >which is pinned to the shaft, doesn't protrude far enough from the
        > >table to allow the supplied cog to mesh with the pinion on the
        power
        > >feed-It's about 1/4 inch short. Has anyone encountered this
        problem and
        > >so suggest a simple solution ?
        > >
        > >As many have said before, this is a great group. I've learned
        enough
        > >about mills from contributors to give me the confidence to choose
        this
        > >style of mill.
        > >
        > >Regards,
        > > Colin
        > >

        > >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Rick Kruger
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 9, 2007
          Well, there you have it. I didn't realize you were talking about the
          horizontal model, thus my prior comments are irrelevant. Perhaps the
          answer is that the horiz. unit is generally designed to fit your type
          of mill, but specific mills vary and you just happened to have one
          that falls outside the range.

          Good luck.

          Rick

        • Glenn N
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 9, 2007
            I have the same setup and mine fit just right. I have the DM45 from Pentool and their powerfeed. The instructions on the power feed said to eliminate the adapter if it put the control too far from the leadscrew. This would mean you have to tap two holes in the end of the table and bolt the motor housing directly to the table. On mine that would make it way too close. There were some adjustments for setting the spacing for the gears IIRC.

            Glenn