Re: [mill_drill] Re: new article available: Minimizing Electronic Edge Finder...

  • rgsparber@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2007
      In a message dated 4/2/2007 10:21:36 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time, philip.burman@... writes:
      Looks like a lot of effort. Use the edge finder twice, at 180 degree
      separation and subtract half the difference, finished.
      Phil,

      A TIR of .0015" is hard to resolve with my DRO which is accurate to +/- .001" and displays to the nearest .0005". Every reading has a built in error of at least .00044" so two readings could give me an error of almost .001". If I am trying to hit a point within +/- .001" with my DRO, I can't afford to toss away an avoidable error of .001". Now, if I'm trying to hit within .005", then yes, it is a lot of effort for no payback.

      The effort is in calibrating the EEF and calculating the tool offset once. After that the effort is just in placing the EEF correctly in the collet and being sure that TD is at a marked point. It might be a wash when it comes to effort.

      As you may have noticed, I've been a nut on accuracy lately. I'm just trying to see all of my error sources even if I later choose to work to the nearest .005".

      Peace,

      Rick
      rgsparber@...
      web site: http://rick.sparber.org

      See what's free at AOL.com.
    • rgsparber@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2007
        Martin,

        Thanks for catching the typo. It is fixed now. I read this article over 4 times and after a while can't really see it.

        Rick

        See what's free at AOL.com.