Hp required

  • JohnW
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 2 7:59 AM
      How much HP is required for mililng? What would be the limit with a
      3/4 HP motor?

      Thanks

      JohnW
    • n5kzw
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2 9:39 AM
        That depends on the machine, the material being cut, and how much
        material you are trying to remove in a given amount of time.

        Regards,
        Ed

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "JohnW" <John.Walker@...> wrote:

        > How much HP is required for mililng? What would be the limit with a
        > 3/4 HP motor?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > JohnW

      • Philip Burman
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 2 10:16 AM
          Depends, is it belt drive, direct drive, geared head or VFD. Once you
          have that you can estimate how much HP gets to the cutter. Then
          decide on what material you are going to mill, then you can estimate
          the material removal rate.
          It of course also depends on the rigidity of the machine. Strapping a
          10HP horse motor on an X1 is not really the way to go.

          If youo look at available machines you will get some idea of
          appropriate motor sizes.

          also if you ask a more precise question you will probably get a more
          precise answer, from somebody.

          Regards
          Phil

          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "JohnW" <John.Walker@...> wrote:

          > How much HP is required for mililng? What would be the limit with
          > 3/4 HP motor?
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > JohnW

        • bbluealpine
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2 1:42 PM
            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "JohnW" <John.Walker@...> wrote:

            > How much HP is required for mililng? What would be the limit with a
            > 3/4 HP motor?
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > JohnW

            John, the question is somewhat akin to asking "How high is high?" But
            keep in mind the old Bridgeport "M" used a half horse, as I think the
            small Clausing vertical mill. These are belt drive machines. In
            addition, my drillpress is 3/4 hp, cannot stall it out while drilling
            steel. The belts always slip first.

            So maybe we can say that in a belt driven machine, 3/4 hp is a usable
            amount of power.
            Bill
          • JohnW
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2 2:25 PM
              The reason I asked the question is that a local supplier carries a
              3/4 HP mill at a substantial discount to the 1-1/2 to 2 HP mills.

              With a similar work envelope what will the larger mills do? I don't
              want to buy the 3/4 HP and find out a week later that it's under
              powered.

              I work in aluminum as a hobby so I don't have to remove a lot of
              metal quickly. My guess is that 3/4 HP is enough but as I mentioned
              in a previous post my 3/4 HP drill press has trouble when the belts
              are set for the highest speed.

              JohnW

              I'm curious as to what a 1

              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "bbluealpine" <bbluealpine@...>
              wrote:

              > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "JohnW" <John.Walker@> wrote:
              > >
              > > How much HP is required for mililng? What would be the limit
              with a
              > > 3/4 HP motor?
              > >
              > > Thanks
              > >
              > > JohnW
              > >
              > John, the question is somewhat akin to asking "How high is high?"
              But
              > keep in mind the old Bridgeport "M" used a half horse, as I think
              the
              > small Clausing vertical mill. These are belt drive machines. In
              > addition, my drillpress is 3/4 hp, cannot stall it out while
              drilling
              > steel. The belts always slip first.
              >
              > So maybe we can say that in a belt driven machine, 3/4 hp is a
              usable
              > amount of power.
              > Bill

            • corey renner
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 2 2:36 PM
                Under those circumstances I would definitely get the 3/4hp.  If it ever proves inadequate (which I doubt) you could spend the savings on a 3phase motor and vfd (only about $200 for both).  I recently replaced the 2hp (Chinese horses) motor on my  Enco 8x36 mill which is a small Bridgeport clone with a 1hp 3phase Baldor ($53 from Surplus Center).  It has tons of power from 100-3600 rpm at the spindle, the motor and vfd never even get warm.

                cheers,

                On 4/2/07, JohnW <John.Walker@...> wrote:

                The reason I asked the question is that a local supplier carries a
                3/4 HP mill at a substantial discount to the 1-1/2 to 2 HP mills.

              • Joe Smith
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 2 4:38 PM

                  John, Are the 2 mills  the same weight?  If close, the ¾ hp should be ok.  For years I had a ½ HP round column Jet that weighed about 400#.  It did fine will up to ½” end mills in steel.  My Rf 21 has a 2 motor weight about 600# and has x travel of abut 20”.  The old Jet was only 13”.  Still within the work size it did a good job.  Neither of the 2 round column mills come close to my 9x42 Enco knee  mill.

                  Joe Smith

                  "JohnW" <John.Walker@ > wrote:

                  > > How much HP is required for mililng? What would be the limit
                  with a
                  > > 3/4 HP motor?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks
                  > >
                  > > JohnW
                  > >
                  > John, the question is somewhat akin to asking "How high is
                  high?"
                  But
                  > keep in mind the old Bridgeport
                  "M" used a half horse, as I think
                  the
                  > small Clausing vertical mill. These are belt drive machines. In
                  > addition, my drillpress is 3/4 hp, cannot stall it out while
                  drilling
                  > steel. The belts always slip first.
                  >
                  > So maybe we can say that in a belt driven machine, 3/4 hp is a
                  usable
                  > amount of power.
                  > Bill

                • Bill Pace
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 2 4:53 PM
                    There probably isnt a definative answer to the question....no doubt
                    the motor is one of the chinese vintages and they are notorious for
                    being "anybodys guess"

                    I will relate my experience with my R-31 type mill/drill. I came on a
                    3/4hp DC motor with the controller at a 'cant pass up price' and
                    decided to give it a try on the mill, like you, I dont strain the
                    machine and thought it just might work. Its a relatively simple
                    process to change out the motor anyway. Well, the end result was
                    completely satisfactory ... if I knew I was gonna do something that
                    might tax it, I would just slip the belts into a lower position,---
                    though over the couple yrs Ive ran it, I find I can keep the belts in
                    the middle area and the variable speed will handle it bout 95% of the
                    time.

                    So, I think if the motor is one of the decent ones (they are a bit
                    rare!) it should handle a HSMers needs