Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [mill_drill] Re: Which mill/drill is the Taiwan made RF-30?

Expand Messages
  • Ty Hoeffer
    ... Al, the HF 2119 IS A RF-30! The manual SAYS RF-30 all over the place. The 33686 mill is a mainland CHINA vers of the RF-3x but the 2119 IS the real McCoy.
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 19, 2001
    • 0 Attachment
      On Wednesday 18 April 2001 20:59, you wrote:
      > jsteimle@... wrote:
      > > Thanks for the reply. Is 2119 the whole HF SKU number?
      > > Jeff
      >
      > Jeff,
      >
      > Pardon my redundancy here, as I just responded to this.
      >
      > Question:
      >
      > Why worry about the 2119 (RF-30) for $1099 without the stand when
      > you can get the RF-31 WITH STAND from MSC for $1100 -- except to
      > maybe see the RF quality, as opposed to some of the Chinese work,
      > first hand?
      >
      > The following URL is a bit long so be prepared to attempt the
      > first line, then cut and paste the lower line to the end of the
      > top one. :-)
      Al, the HF 2119 IS A RF-30! The manual SAYS RF-30 all over the place.
      The 33686 mill is a mainland CHINA vers of the RF-3x but the 2119 IS the
      real McCoy. Just like my Grizzly G-1006 is a RF-30 ordered with the larger
      table. The crate said RF-31 & Taiwan on it.

      I agree that the MSC "SOUNDS" like a deal, BUT HF ships for free, How much
      is MSC charging to ship to him? That additional cost may be the deciding
      factor for him. I'm cheap, so cheap in fact I drove to PA from Va to save the
      $148 shipping & loading dock hassels. How much did it cost me to drive/hotel,
      meals, and fuel? About $225. SHoulda shipped it, but I would have had to
      drive 45min to get to shippers terminal as I live in an APT w/garage, NO
      TRUCKS!

      The biggest problemwith the 2119 is you have to go to a store to get it. HF
      no longer sells the 2119 via phone/WEB.

      Ty

      --
      ****************************************************************************
      * Ty Hoeffer -- Network Analyst
      * UVa. Health System/Computing Services
      * pth3k at Virginia.EDU
      * http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty
      *
      * "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
      * Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin 1759
      ****************************************************************************
    • Al Patrick
      ... We have T W O HF stores opening in NC in the next month or so. Perhaps I should take a first hand look before deciding to do anything with another
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 19, 2001
      • 0 Attachment
        ballendo@... wrote:

        > Al,
        >
        > < s n i p >

        > Also, the HF 2119 (which is an RF-31 also) can usually be
        > bought for

        > the "sale price" of 899 if you employ a little "salesmanship"
        > to your
        > local store manager. Even when the "list" sale price is 1099.
        >
        > Hope this helps.
        >
        > Ballendo
        >

        We have T W O HF stores opening in NC in the next month or so.
        Perhaps I should take a first hand look before deciding to do
        anything with another company. Especially, if I can get them to
        $899. !

        Thanks,

        Al
      • Al Patrick
        ... Roger, What was the sale price? We have two HF stores opening in NC in the next month or so! Thanks, Al
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 19, 2001
        • 0 Attachment
          "Roger V. Petrella Jr." wrote:

          > Al,
          >
          > That info is not correct. The HF 2119 is an RF-31. I got one
          > on sale a few weeks ago.
          >
          > Roger Petrella
          > Franktown, CO
          >

          Roger,

          What was the sale price? We have two HF stores opening in NC in
          the next month or so!

          Thanks,

          Al
        • Al Patrick
          ... Ty, They quoted me $110 for shipping to my location in upper NC. Al
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 19, 2001
          • 0 Attachment
            Ty Hoeffer wrote:

            > Al, the HF 2119 IS A RF-30! The manual SAYS RF-30 all
            > over the place.
            > The 33686 mill is a mainland CHINA vers of the RF-3x but
            > the 2119 IS the
            > real McCoy. Just like my Grizzly G-1006 is a RF-30 ordered with
            > the larger
            > table. The crate said RF-31 & Taiwan on it.
            >
            > I agree that the MSC "SOUNDS" like a deal, BUT HF ships
            > for free, How much
            > is MSC charging to ship to him? That additional cost may be the
            > deciding
            > factor for him. I'm cheap, so cheap in fact I drove to PA from
            > Va to save the
            > $148 shipping & loading dock hassels. How much did it cost me
            > to drive/hotel,
            > meals, and fuel? About $225. SHoulda shipped it, but I would
            > have had to
            > drive 45min to get to shippers terminal as I live in an APT
            > w/garage, NO
            > TRUCKS!
            >
            > The biggest problemwith the 2119 is you have to go to a
            > store to get it. HF
            > no longer sells the 2119 via phone/WEB.
            >
            > Ty

            Ty,

            They quoted me $110 for shipping to my location in upper NC.

            Al
          • Roger V. Petrella Jr.
            Al, The sale price was $899 and the stand was $59. The stand I got was painted black and pretty well constructed and sturdy. Roger
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 20, 2001
            • 0 Attachment
              Al,

              The sale price was $899 and the stand was $59. The stand I got was
              painted black and pretty well constructed and sturdy.

              Roger
            • HATZIE@fuse.net
              ... the place. ... 2119 IS the ... larger ... free, How much ... deciding ... to save the ... drive/hotel, ... had to ... w/garage, NO ... to get it. HF ...
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 20, 2001
              • 0 Attachment
                --- In mill_drill@y..., Ty Hoeffer <pth3k@v...> wrote:
                > On Wednesday 18 April 2001 20:59, you wrote:
                > > jsteimle@a... wrote:
                > > > Thanks for the reply. Is 2119 the whole HF SKU number?
                > > > Jeff
                > >
                > > Jeff,
                > >
                > > Pardon my redundancy here, as I just responded to this.
                > >
                > > Question:
                > >
                > > Why worry about the 2119 (RF-30) for $1099 without the stand when
                > > you can get the RF-31 WITH STAND from MSC for $1100 -- except to
                > > maybe see the RF quality, as opposed to some of the Chinese work,
                > > first hand?
                > >
                > > The following URL is a bit long so be prepared to attempt the
                > > first line, then cut and paste the lower line to the end of the
                > > top one. :-)
                > Al, the HF 2119 IS A RF-30! The manual SAYS RF-30 all over
                the place.
                > The 33686 mill is a mainland CHINA vers of the RF-3x but the
                2119 IS the
                > real McCoy. Just like my Grizzly G-1006 is a RF-30 ordered with the
                larger
                > table. The crate said RF-31 & Taiwan on it.
                >
                > I agree that the MSC "SOUNDS" like a deal, BUT HF ships for
                free, How much
                > is MSC charging to ship to him? That additional cost may be the
                deciding
                > factor for him. I'm cheap, so cheap in fact I drove to PA from Va
                to save the
                > $148 shipping & loading dock hassels. How much did it cost me to
                drive/hotel,
                > meals, and fuel? About $225. SHoulda shipped it, but I would have
                had to
                > drive 45min to get to shippers terminal as I live in an APT
                w/garage, NO
                > TRUCKS!
                >
                > The biggest problemwith the 2119 is you have to go to a store
                to get it. HF
                > no longer sells the 2119 via phone/WEB.
                >
                > Ty
                Snip

                I ordered my RF31 (HF 2119-2VGA) from the web but apparently I
                ordered it the last day it was listed online. The mail order
                warehouse was out of them and wasn't ordering any more so I got an
                infinite backorder on a 3X5 card.
                I went to Lexington KY (100 miles) but I only paid the online
                $849.99 sale price plus KY sales tax, because I printed the page, and
                they loaded it right onto my pickup truck. The stock guy (off the
                clock already) even helped me push it forward in the bed so that my
                1/2 ton truck wouldn't be doing wheelies all the way home.
                Now I have a Taiwanese RF31 dressed in HF puke green.... Yes
                mine was a 2 Aisian HP RF31 not a 1.5 HP RF30 clone.
                I know a fellow who posts on the 7x10 list that bought the Red
                Chinese $899.99 RF30 clone from HF #33686. I don't like the visual
                finish of the castings (not as clean... the lubricant catch trays at
                the ends of the table look like they have piles of black sand in them
                and there is bondo in places to make the body castings smooth under
                the paint).
                His RF30 was packed in chinese rough pine (Balsa) and had no
                dessicant in the crate. My RF31 had at least 10 lbs of dessicant
                bags hung from handles on the machine inside the pressboard crate
                that I intend to dry out and use in my gun safe. As far as how his
                RF30 works. It appears to be just as good as mine (after he removed
                the surface rust from the quill and bought a good vise) just not as
                pretty.
                If you want a Taiwanese Rong Fu and not a Chinese clone MSC,
                Grizzly, or Enco on sale and delivered may be the best places to get
                one of these machines.... If you can't drive directly to the HF store
                and buy a 2119 on sale. Youll have to weigh it out for yourself....
                I like my HF mill and Jeff likes his so....
                Jeff made a spreadsheet of some of the HF mill drill models for
                comparison and posted it in the 7x10 files. I may adulterate it
                with information on the MSC, RF, Grizzly, and Enco models but the
                proces aren't static.

                I'll upload the 2119 manual or an html link to the pdf with the
                kbytes info to this site sometime soon.
              • ballendo@yahoo.com
                Hello, A RED RF30?!?! From HF? The only red mill/drill I ve seen at HF is the DRILL/mill (note reversed order) which is a drill press head on an xy table (XY
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 21, 2001
                • 0 Attachment
                  Hello,

                  A RED RF30?!?! From HF? The only red mill/drill I've seen at HF is
                  the DRILL/mill (note reversed order) which is a drill press head on
                  an xy table (XY table is good, DP head is NOT A MILL!) This was
                  definitely NOT an RF anything... And most(all?) of the red tools at
                  HF are Chinese, not taiwan made.

                  So anyway, I'm curious. The red rf30 your friend has matches yours in
                  casting shape,size,fit, and finish, except it's red?

                  Thanks in advance.

                  Ballendo

                  P.S. Ok, I re-read the post as i snipped, and it seems your friend
                  has a chinese mill drill. With the expected poorer fit and finish.
                  This would not be an RF. So, is it "30" size?


                  > Now I have a Taiwanese RF31 dressed in HF puke green.... Yes
                  > mine was a 2 Aisian HP RF31 not a 1.5 HP RF30 clone.
                  > I know a fellow who posts on the 7x10 list that bought the Red
                  > Chinese $899.99 RF30 clone from HF #33686. I don't like the visual
                  > finish of the castings (not as clean... the lubricant catch trays
                  at
                  > the ends of the table look like they have piles of black sand in
                  them
                  > and there is bondo in places to make the body castings smooth under
                  > the paint).
                  > His RF30 was packed in chinese rough pine (Balsa) and had no
                  > dessicant in the crate. My RF31 had at least 10 lbs of dessicant
                  > bags hung from handles on the machine inside the pressboard crate
                  > that I intend to dry out and use in my gun safe. As far as how his
                  > RF30 works. It appears to be just as good as mine (after he
                  removed
                  > the surface rust from the quill and bought a good vise) just not as
                  > pretty.
                  > If you want a Taiwanese Rong Fu and not a Chinese clone MSC,
                • HATZIE@fuse.net
                  Sorry.. I wasn t clear on what the Red meant. Jeffs 33686 CHINESE CLONE of the RF30 is Dark Green and has a 1.5hp motor. My 2119, a Taiwanese RF31 with
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 21, 2001
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Sorry.. I wasn't clear on what the Red meant. Jeffs' 33686
                    CHINESE CLONE of the RF30 is Dark Green and has a 1.5hp motor. My
                    2119, a Taiwanese RF31 with 2hp motor, is Light Green with the
                    expected much better casting finish..
                    The pollitical affiliation of the mainland Chinese is Communist
                    or RED and Red China used to be synonymous with Mainland China.
                    I should have said Red Chinese built....

                    --- In mill_drill@y..., ballendo@y... wrote:
                    > Hello,
                    >
                    > A RED RF30?!?! From HF? The only red mill/drill I've seen at HF
                    is
                    > the DRILL/mill (note reversed order) which is a drill press head on
                    > an xy table (XY table is good, DP head is NOT A MILL!) This was
                    > definitely NOT an RF anything... And most(all?) of the red tools
                    at
                    > HF are Chinese, not taiwan made.
                    >
                    > So anyway, I'm curious. The red rf30 your friend has matches yours
                    in
                    > casting shape,size,fit, and finish, except it's red?
                    >
                    > Thanks in advance.
                    >
                    > Ballendo
                    >
                    > P.S. Ok, I re-read the post as i snipped, and it seems your friend
                    > has a chinese mill drill. With the expected poorer fit and finish.
                    > This would not be an RF. So, is it "30" size?
                    >
                    >
                    > > Now I have a Taiwanese RF31 dressed in HF puke green....
                    Yes
                    > > mine was a 2 Aisian HP RF31 not a 1.5 HP RF30 clone.
                    > > I know a fellow who posts on the 7x10 list that bought the
                    Red
                    > > Chinese $899.99 RF30 clone from HF #33686. I don't like the
                    visual
                    > > finish of the castings (not as clean... the lubricant catch trays
                    > at
                    > > the ends of the table look like they have piles of black sand in
                    > them
                    > > and there is bondo in places to make the body castings smooth
                    under
                    > > the paint).
                    > > His RF30 was packed in chinese rough pine (Balsa) and had no
                    > > dessicant in the crate. My RF31 had at least 10 lbs of dessicant
                    > > bags hung from handles on the machine inside the pressboard crate
                    > > that I intend to dry out and use in my gun safe. As far as how
                    his
                    > > RF30 works. It appears to be just as good as mine (after he
                    > removed
                    > > the surface rust from the quill and bought a good vise) just not
                    as
                    > > pretty.
                    > > If you want a Taiwanese Rong Fu and not a Chinese clone MSC,
                  • ballendo@yahoo.com
                    HATZIE, Thank you for the clarification. Ballendo
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 21, 2001
                    • 0 Attachment
                      HATZIE,

                      Thank you for the clarification.

                      Ballendo

                      --- In mill_drill@y..., HATZIE@f... wrote:
                      > Sorry.. I wasn't clear on what the Red meant. Jeffs' 33686
                      > CHINESE CLONE of the RF30 is Dark Green and has a 1.5hp motor. My
                      > 2119, a Taiwanese RF31 with 2hp motor, is Light Green with the
                      > expected much better casting finish..
                      > The pollitical affiliation of the mainland Chinese is Communist
                      > or RED and Red China used to be synonymous with Mainland China.
                      > I should have said Red Chinese built....
                      >
                      > --- In mill_drill@y..., ballendo@y... wrote:
                      > > Hello,
                      > >
                      > > A RED RF30?!?! From HF? The only red mill/drill I've seen at HF
                      > is
                    • jsteimle@austin.rr.com
                      I called MSC today and got the particulars on the RF-31. They charge sales tax in Texas and their freight is a bit higher but even still its a fair piece
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 24, 2001
                      • 0 Attachment
                        I called MSC today and got the particulars on the RF-31. They charge
                        sales tax in Texas and their freight is a bit higher but even still
                        its a fair piece cheaper than getting a Rong Fu compatible from
                        Grizzly.
                        Temptations, temptations.....
                        Jeff

                        --- In mill_drill@y..., HATZIE@f... wrote:
                        > --- In mill_drill@y..., Ty Hoeffer <pth3k@v...> wrote:
                        > > On Wednesday 18 April 2001 20:59, you wrote:
                        > > > jsteimle@a... wrote:
                        > > > > Thanks for the reply. Is 2119 the whole HF SKU number?
                        > > > > Jeff
                        > > >
                        > > > Jeff,
                        > > >
                        > > > Pardon my redundancy here, as I just responded to this.
                        > > >
                        > > > Question:
                        > > >
                        > > > Why worry about the 2119 (RF-30) for $1099 without the stand
                        when
                        > > > you can get the RF-31 WITH STAND from MSC for $1100 -- except to
                        > > > maybe see the RF quality, as opposed to some of the Chinese
                        work,
                        > > > first hand?
                        > > >
                        > > > The following URL is a bit long so be prepared to attempt the
                        > > > first line, then cut and paste the lower line to the end of the
                        > > > top one. :-)
                        > > Al, the HF 2119 IS A RF-30! The manual SAYS RF-30 all over
                        > the place.
                        > > The 33686 mill is a mainland CHINA vers of the RF-3x but the
                        > 2119 IS the
                        > > real McCoy. Just like my Grizzly G-1006 is a RF-30 ordered with
                        the
                        > larger
                        > > table. The crate said RF-31 & Taiwan on it.
                        > >
                        > > I agree that the MSC "SOUNDS" like a deal, BUT HF ships for
                        > free, How much
                        > > is MSC charging to ship to him? That additional cost may be the
                        > deciding
                        > > factor for him. I'm cheap, so cheap in fact I drove to PA from Va
                        > to save the
                        > > $148 shipping & loading dock hassels. How much did it cost me to
                        > drive/hotel,
                        > > meals, and fuel? About $225. SHoulda shipped it, but I would have
                        > had to
                        > > drive 45min to get to shippers terminal as I live in an APT
                        > w/garage, NO
                        > > TRUCKS!
                        > >
                        > > The biggest problemwith the 2119 is you have to go to a store
                        > to get it. HF
                        > > no longer sells the 2119 via phone/WEB.
                        > >
                        > > Ty
                        > Snip
                        >
                        > I ordered my RF31 (HF 2119-2VGA) from the web but apparently I
                        > ordered it the last day it was listed online. The mail order
                        > warehouse was out of them and wasn't ordering any more so I got an
                        > infinite backorder on a 3X5 card.
                        > I went to Lexington KY (100 miles) but I only paid the online
                        > $849.99 sale price plus KY sales tax, because I printed the page,
                        and
                        > they loaded it right onto my pickup truck. The stock guy (off the
                        > clock already) even helped me push it forward in the bed so that my
                        > 1/2 ton truck wouldn't be doing wheelies all the way home.
                        > Now I have a Taiwanese RF31 dressed in HF puke green.... Yes
                        > mine was a 2 Aisian HP RF31 not a 1.5 HP RF30 clone.
                        > I know a fellow who posts on the 7x10 list that bought the Red
                        > Chinese $899.99 RF30 clone from HF #33686. I don't like the visual
                        > finish of the castings (not as clean... the lubricant catch trays at
                        > the ends of the table look like they have piles of black sand in
                        them
                        > and there is bondo in places to make the body castings smooth under
                        > the paint).
                        > His RF30 was packed in chinese rough pine (Balsa) and had no
                        > dessicant in the crate. My RF31 had at least 10 lbs of dessicant
                        > bags hung from handles on the machine inside the pressboard crate
                        > that I intend to dry out and use in my gun safe. As far as how his
                        > RF30 works. It appears to be just as good as mine (after he removed
                        > the surface rust from the quill and bought a good vise) just not as
                        > pretty.
                        > If you want a Taiwanese Rong Fu and not a Chinese clone MSC,
                        > Grizzly, or Enco on sale and delivered may be the best places to get
                        > one of these machines.... If you can't drive directly to the HF
                        store
                        > and buy a 2119 on sale. Youll have to weigh it out for yourself....

                        > I like my HF mill and Jeff likes his so....
                        > Jeff made a spreadsheet of some of the HF mill drill models for
                        > comparison and posted it in the 7x10 files. I may adulterate it
                        > with information on the MSC, RF, Grizzly, and Enco models but the
                        > proces aren't static.
                        >
                        > I'll upload the 2119 manual or an html link to the pdf with the
                        > kbytes info to this site sometime soon.
                      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.