Re: new article available: how to cut a block square

  • leasingham_connelly
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 1, 2007

      _http://rick.sparber.org/Articles/BedDown/BD.htm_
      > (http://rick.sparber.org/Articles/BedDown/BD.htm) .

      Parallels that are not parallel?

      > The fixed jaw of the vise also needs checking for
      > vertical. Put a suitable square in the vice and with the dti on
      its
      > top surface move the table y axis. The dti should not move,
      > It took me a bit to understand your arrangement. Are you clamping
      the square
      > so the thick part is between the jaws and the thin part is along
      the Y axis?

      A suitable square could be a 123 block. Put a 1 x 2 face against the
      fixed jaw with a 1 x 3 face on top. Use a round bar between the
      moveable jaw and block to ensure it is flat on the fixed jaw. A
      precision square is also useable with the blade uppermost and
      pointing towards the front of the machine. The blade is above the
      jaws and the body is clamped. This procedure does not need masive
      clamping forces so should not cause damage to tooling.

      > if it
      > does then shim to remove the error. Finally if the fixed jaw of
      the
      > vise is out of position such as if it was on a RT set to an angle
      > then the section will be square but if you want to mill the ends
      as
      > well then the fixed jaw must be aligned 90° to the y axis. This
      can
      > be done with a suitable square and the dti on the side of it but
      > this time move the y axis. If the mill's x axis and y axis are
      > correctly manufactured at 90° then the fixed jaw should also be
      > aligned along the x axis by this process. If there is a
      difference
      > in the alignment of the fixed jaw along the x axis this may be
      due
      > to manufacturing tolerances in the mill and you need to chose
      which
      > to set the vise to to suit what you are doing. Position the vise
      > even out both errors for general use. Do this setup with snug
      gibs.

      > This is a possibly a potential article for Rick to add to his
      > collection.
      >

      > Are you suggesting an article on how to verify your vise is true
      XYZ? I
      > wrote on for HSM or MW but can't recall which issue. The index at
      Village Press