Which Vise for an RF45 a 4" or a 6"

  • kben77
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 30, 2007
      Hi, I have an RF45 clone from penntoolco and am debating which size
      vice to buy. These guys have a 4" for $95 and a 6" for $119
      www.cdcotools.com item numbers 21003 and 21002.

      What do you guys think would the 6" be to big ?

      Thanks,
      Kevin
    • figNoggle
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 30, 2007
        hi kevin-

        6"! you also may want to check the accuracy of the vises for your needs.
        while an inexpensive vise may work for some work, if you're trying to hold
        tighter tolerances, a quality vise like a true kurt or like-quality brand
        may be required.

        plus, with a larger vise, you could mount a smaller precision screwless
        vise at angles, etc.. for more flexible holding.

        currently using a palmgren utility vise with a 4" wide jaw works for most
        stuff but there's usually a .001" difference between the 4" span. it's
        time for a jurt d675 or better..

        thanks!
        david

        MetalWorkingFAQ.NET - Over 50 content sites! <http://www.metalworkingfaq.net>
        CNC, Plans/Kits, 8x12 Lathe, Mini-Mill, How-Tos <http://www.fignoggle.com>
        Sieg X3/Super X3 Mill Information, HF/Enco Coupons <http://www.superx3.com>

        On Wed, 31 Jan 2007, kben77 wrote:

        > Hi, I have an RF45 clone from penntoolco and am debating which size
        > vice to buy. These guys have a 4" for $95 and a 6" for $119
        > www.cdcotools.com item numbers 21003 and 21002.
        >
        > What do you guys think would the 6" be to big ?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Kevin

      • Jerry Kimberlin
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 30, 2007
          kben77 wrote:
          > Hi, I have an RF45 clone from penntoolco and am debating which size
          > vice to buy.
          Go to Enco. Get a 425-7250 or 425-7260 Use code PRFS126 for free
          shipping and do it before tomorrow. Best I can recommend.

          JerryK
        • rgsparber@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 30, 2007
            Do be mindful of the weight.

            Rick Sparber
            rgsparber@...
            web site: http://rick.sparber.org
          • Glenn N
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 30, 2007
              I have the DM45 from Penn tool and have a 5" swivel base vise on it. The footprint fills things up pretty well and I really like the size/weight for this mill. If I could only choose between the 4" or 6" I'd go with the 6" and probably not have the sivel base on it.

              Glenn Neff
              Medford, OR
              > Hi, I have an RF45 clone from penntoolco and am debating which size
              > vice to buy. These guys have a 4" for $95 and a 6" for $119
              > www.cdcotools.com item numbers 21003 and 21002.
              >
              > What do you guys think would the 6" be to big ?
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Kevin
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • martinnossel
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 31, 2007
                I have the rf 45 from them, and 2 4" sivel base vises. The one vise
                is mounted and 'squared (was not 100% level)' on the side of the bed,
                leaning space to do other work on the rest of the bed. For larger
                jobs I would mount the second vise next to the first one or use it
                with the swivel so I dont need to reset the first vise. (saw this
                double vise set up on a CNC machine) but I havent even taken the
                second vise out the box yet (after a year).

                Martin

                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn N" <sleykin@...> wrote:

                > I have the DM45 from Penn tool and have a 5" swivel base vise on
                it. The footprint fills things up pretty well and I really like the
                size/weight for this mill. If I could only choose between the 4" or
                6" I'd go with the 6" and probably not have the sivel base on it.

                > Glenn Neff
                > Medford, OR

              • SupportOurTroops - Skip
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 31, 2007
                  I agree with your thinking, Martin. I have a 4" on my Jet JMD-15 (RF-25)
                  and keep it bolted one the left side of the table and a 4 x 6" angle plate
                  on the other side. I have several other vises but this setup handles most
                  of what I do with minimal changes.

                  Skip Campbell
                  Ft. Worth, Texas
                  mkctools.com