Y axis power feed?

  • gdl264
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 20, 2006
      Has anyone adapted a vert. style BP powerfeed for the Y axis on a
      Mill/Drill? Could it be done? I recall that someone adapted the
      vertical style to the X on a Mill/Drill. I realize I would have to trim
      the pan. I already have a Horz. Bestline PF on my X. Gary
    • discrete_pid
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 21, 2006
        I just got an Asong power feed from Lathemaster for this very
        purpose. It is actually meant for the X-axis, but one of Bob's
        customers broke the mounting bracket. Well, I have to make a
        different one anyway, probably out of a piece of aluminum angle. Bob
        and I figure the main concern will be to clear the table travel, but
        it looks to be very doable.

        The instructions that came with it does shown a Y-axis version with a
        lower gear ratio (not by much) and a different mount. I can take a
        few pics of the relevant manual pages and post here if anyone's
        interested.

        The BP and clones use the same powerfeed for X-Y as these bench top
        mills, except BPs have a 90deg gear, instead of the straight cut
        gear. Don't know if the BP Z-axis use the same. I would guess so,
        maybe with higher torque and lower gearing.

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "gdl264" <GDL264@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone adapted a vert. style BP powerfeed for the Y axis on a
        > Mill/Drill? Could it be done? I recall that someone adapted the
        > vertical style to the X on a Mill/Drill. I realize I would have to
        trim
        > the pan. I already have a Horz. Bestline PF on my X. Gary

      • Len
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 21, 2006
          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "discrete_pid" <rclingo@...> wrote:

          > I just got an Asong power feed from Lathemaster for this very
          > purpose.

          If you talk to Lathemaster again would you ask whatever happened to the
          version he was selling with the powered Z axis?

          The motor was on top of the column and looked the biz for what ails my
          shoulder.
          Maybe he could provide some details for a DIY version?
        • discrete_pid
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 25, 2006
            I did talk to Bob about this. He said it was not a strong seller
            compared to the non-powered version, so he discontinued it. When I
            bought mine from Bob, I had the lofty ambition of CNCing it, so I
            didn't care much for the power head. Well, I've decided to keep mine
            manual; now I really miss the power lift head.

            May be if there is enough interest from current and prospective mill
            owners, I might be able to convince Bob to come up with a shipment of
            retrofit Z-powerlift kits.