replacement of collar behind downfeed crank

  • lkasdorf
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2006
      I was using the old Rong Fu mill-drill last night, and when I went to
      raise the quill, instead of the quill rising, the fine feed crank
      busted free from its mooring as I cranked it.

      The collar behind the dial on the downfeed is really cheesy molded
      plastic and the mounting screws pulled through it.

      Fortunately, I had a suitable chunk or aluminum, so I turned one to
      replace it. It works much better now, although, I think the collar may
      be pressing too hard on the bearing, as it is rather stiff to turn. I
      think I'll take a few thou of depth off of it, and grease things while
      I'm in there.

      Anybody else have much experience with the downfeed and ways to
      improve it?
    • purphekt_2001
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2006
        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "lkasdorf" <lkasdorf@...> wrote:

        > I was using the old Rong Fu mill-drill last night, and when I went to
        > raise the quill, instead of the quill rising, the fine feed crank
        > busted free from its mooring as I cranked it.
        >
        > The collar behind the dial on the downfeed is really cheesy molded
        > plastic and the mounting screws pulled through it.
        >
        > Fortunately, I had a suitable chunk or aluminum, so I turned one to
        > replace it. It works much better now, although, I think the collar may
        > be pressing too hard on the bearing, as it is rather stiff to turn. I
        > think I'll take a few thou of depth off of it, and grease things while
        > I'm in there.
        >
        > Anybody else have much experience with the downfeed and ways to
        > improve it?

        I've not had any such problems with my machine. I bought my machine in
        2002 and I only use it for little projects. I do mostly plastic and
        aluminum stuff. Could you upload some pictures of your modification?