Re: a great book worth mentioning twice

  • n5kzw
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2006
      When I was in college, we were taught that any technician worth his
      salt could put together a circuit that would do the job. It took an
      engineer to design a circuit that would do the job at a price the
      customer was willing to pay.

      Regards,
      Ed

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "M Belfer AllSPA" <mbelfer@...> wrote:

      > Or thrice. I dont know if it came up here but the frontispiec has
      the quote on it:

      > An engineer is someone who can do for ten bob what any bloody fool
      can do for a quid.

      > Excellent read, it was on the pre-course required reading for 1st
      year engineering at my Uni, 40-ish years ago.

    • Rick Sparber
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2006
        Engineering is about satisfying many requirements all at the same
        time. Often one requirement is money but not always.

        I worked for the Bell System where reliability was king. Our
        telephone switches were designed to provide service with no more than
        2 hours of down time in 40 years. We and the FCC carefully monitored
        downtime and some machines even beat this requirement. An outages
        might last 5 seconds but it was always added to the tally.

        Rick

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "n5kzw" <n5kzw@...> wrote:

        > When I was in college, we were taught that any technician worth his
        > salt could put together a circuit that would do the job. It took an
        > engineer to design a circuit that would do the job at a price the
        > customer was willing to pay.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Ed
        >
        > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "M Belfer AllSPA" <mbelfer@>
        wrote:

        > > Or thrice. I dont know if it came up here but the frontispiec has
        > the quote on it:
        > >
        > > An engineer is someone who can do for ten bob what any bloody fool
        > can do for a quid.
        > >
        > > Excellent read, it was on the pre-course required reading for 1st
        > year engineering at my Uni, 40-ish years ago.

      • SupportOurTroops - Skip
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2006
          I can relate, Rick. I worked on telephone switches, power and transmission equipment
          for Ma Bell for almost 30 years, 1970 - 1998, in Ft. Worth, Texas.

          Skip Campbell

          Rick Sparber wrote:

          > Engineering is about satisfying many requirements all at the same
          > time. Often one requirement is money but not always.
          >
          > I worked for the Bell System where reliability was king. Our
          > telephone switches were designed to provide service with no more than
          > 2 hours of down time in 40 years. We and the FCC carefully monitored
          > downtime and some machines even beat this requirement. An outages
          > might last 5 seconds but it was always added to the tally.
          >
          > Rick
        • Brad Smith
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 3, 2006
            I am an avid reader, while my better half is watching TV, and read
            this book a LONNNGGGGG time ago, and enjoyed it very much.