Re: [mill_drill] Re: a great book worth mentioning twice

  • M Belfer AllSPA
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30, 2006
      Or thrice. I dont know if it came up here but the frontispiec has the quote on it:

      An engineer is someone who can do for ten bob what any bloody fool can do for a quid.

      Excellent read, it was on the pre-course required reading for 1st year engineering at my Uni, 40-ish years ago.
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2006
        When I was in college, we were taught that any technician worth his
        salt could put together a circuit that would do the job. It took an
        engineer to design a circuit that would do the job at a price the
        customer was willing to pay.

        Regards,
        Ed

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "M Belfer AllSPA" <mbelfer@...> wrote:

        > Or thrice. I dont know if it came up here but the frontispiec has
        the quote on it:

        > An engineer is someone who can do for ten bob what any bloody fool
        can do for a quid.

        > Excellent read, it was on the pre-course required reading for 1st
        year engineering at my Uni, 40-ish years ago.

      • Rick Sparber
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2006
          Engineering is about satisfying many requirements all at the same
          time. Often one requirement is money but not always.

          I worked for the Bell System where reliability was king. Our
          telephone switches were designed to provide service with no more than
          2 hours of down time in 40 years. We and the FCC carefully monitored
          downtime and some machines even beat this requirement. An outages
          might last 5 seconds but it was always added to the tally.

          Rick

          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "n5kzw" <n5kzw@...> wrote:

          > When I was in college, we were taught that any technician worth his
          > salt could put together a circuit that would do the job. It took an
          > engineer to design a circuit that would do the job at a price the
          > customer was willing to pay.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Ed
          >
          > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "M Belfer AllSPA" <mbelfer@>
          wrote:

          > > Or thrice. I dont know if it came up here but the frontispiec has
          > the quote on it:
          > >
          > > An engineer is someone who can do for ten bob what any bloody fool
          > can do for a quid.
          > >
          > > Excellent read, it was on the pre-course required reading for 1st
          > year engineering at my Uni, 40-ish years ago.

        • SupportOurTroops - Skip
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2006
            I can relate, Rick. I worked on telephone switches, power and transmission equipment
            for Ma Bell for almost 30 years, 1970 - 1998, in Ft. Worth, Texas.

            Skip Campbell

            Rick Sparber wrote:

            > Engineering is about satisfying many requirements all at the same
            > time. Often one requirement is money but not always.
            >
            > I worked for the Bell System where reliability was king. Our
            > telephone switches were designed to provide service with no more than
            > 2 hours of down time in 40 years. We and the FCC carefully monitored
            > downtime and some machines even beat this requirement. An outages
            > might last 5 seconds but it was always added to the tally.
            >
            > Rick
          • Brad Smith
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 3, 2006
              I am an avid reader, while my better half is watching TV, and read
              this book a LONNNGGGGG time ago, and enjoyed it very much.