Acme Thread Lubrication Question

  • Don Greife
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 7, 2006
      What is recommended for lubrication on the x & Y Acme threads and ways
      on a mill/drill?
    • corey renner
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 7, 2006
        Way oil on the ways.  Way oil on the screws.  I also like way oil on the table for rust prevention.

        Order it as Vactra 2 or ISO 68 oil.

        On 9/7/06, Don Greife <dongreife@...> wrote:

        What is recommended for lubrication on the x & Y Acme threads and ways
        on a mill/drill?

      • slowtwitch2003
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 7, 2006
          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Don Greife" <dongreife@...> wrote:

          > What is recommended for lubrication on the x & Y Acme threads and
          ways
          > on a mill/drill?

          Hi,

          I use these items from MacMaster and Carr...

          1017K11 Way oil 68 grade...$11.19 gallon
          13595K71 Spindle oil 22 grade... $12.90 gallon

          Both items work nicely on my Enco :)

          pete
        • rick201m
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 7, 2006
            ARe there good less expensive alternatives to way oil?
            Would mobil 1 or a synthetic oil be a substitute?

            Thanks all,
            Rick in CO

            --- corey renner <vandal968@...> wrote:

            > Way oil on the ways. Way oil on the screws. I also
            > like way oil on the
            > table for rust prevention.
            >
            > Order it as Vactra 2 or ISO 68 oil.

            > On 9/7/06, Don Greife <dongreife@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > What is recommended for lubrication on the x & Y
            > Acme threads and ways
            > > on a mill/drill?

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Clark Family
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 7, 2006
              I am using Mobil 1 on the ways and threads since I have a case of it
              for my car. Clings pretty well and does not seem to turn gummy (only a
              couple months).

              Having read the specs on way oil, it seems to be parrafin based and
              designed to resist washing away by flood coolants and handle extreme
              and periodic loading.

              My mill/drill does not have that severe an operating environment but I
              would pick up some real way oil if I could get it in smaller quantities
              locally.

              I use Boeshield T-9 on the exposed steel that is not a bearing surface.

              I will let you know in a few years!
              -Chris

              rick201m wrote:

              > ARe there good less expensive alternatives to way oil?
              > Would mobil 1 or a synthetic oil be a substitute?
              >
              > Thanks all,
              > Rick in CO
              >
              > --- corey renner <vandal968@... <mailto:vandal968%40gmail.com>> wrote:
              >
              > > Way oil on the ways. Way oil on the screws. I also
              > > like way oil on the
              > > table for rust prevention.
              > >
              > > Order it as Vactra 2 or ISO 68 oil.

              > > On 9/7/06, Don Greife <dongreife@...
              > <mailto:dongreife%40hotmail.com>> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > What is recommended for lubrication on the x & Y
              > > Acme threads and ways
              > > > on a mill/drill?

            • corey renner

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 7, 2006
                  --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "corey renner" <vandal968@...>
                  wrote:

                  > The main advantage of way oil is exactly as Chris surmised. It is
                  > thick and gummy and tends to stay put, but it's still oil ....

                  Sounds very much like chainsaw oil which can be bought in small
                  quantities.

                  Incidentally I've recently smeared the quill splines of my M/D with
                  Rocol Kilopoise as an attempt to kill the rattle. It's very effective
                  at the moment but I don't know how long it will last.

                  Bob
                • SupportOurTroops - Skip
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 7, 2006
                    The main reason for using way oil is that it is specially formulated to resist the stick/slip condition when
                    gibs are tight. This shows up when you try to make a very small adjustment in the carriage, cross slide or compound. You put pressure on the screw and there is a certain amount of resistance to the move (stick), then as the pressure is increased the two surfaces finally move (slip) and you get more movement than you want. Way oil is supposed to minimize this problem. I also use it on the screws but other oils will work equally well for that use. I don't know how the synthetics would perform compared to way oil concerning the stick/slip problem of ways.

                    Skip Campbell
                    Ft. Worth, Texas
                    mkctools.com

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 8, 2006
                      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Don Greife" <dongreife@...> wrote:

                      > What is recommended for lubrication on the x & Y Acme threads and
                      ways
                      > on a mill/drill?

                      Many thanks for the tips on lubricants guys. Don Greife