Re: [mill_drill] My RF30 motor just quit--need ideas

  • promark
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 8, 2006
      Clean the start switch
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Joe Smith
      Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 12:22 AM
      Subject: RE: [mill_drill] My RF30 motor just quit--need ideas

      When I powered on my RF30 yesterday the motor started up to about ½ speed and quit.  No just a slight hum when power is on.  I replaced the capacitor last fall.  Then I could power on and spin the pulleys and the motor would come up—not the case this time.  The motor is a 2 hp set at 115 volts and was made in Taiwan .  This has been a smooth running little mill up to now.  Any ideas on how to trouble shoot would be appreciated.  I have 3 2 hp American 3 phase motors stored behind my series 1 BP but don’t want to rewire and buy another vfd right now.

      Joe Smith

    • promark
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 8, 2006
        If the motor is thermally protected with a red button (klixon) you will get soaked almost $30 by a supply company for a switch made in Mexico by Texas Instruments. The one wholesale source has a $75 minimum order. I screamed bloody murder to TI and a complimentary switch was sent from Mexico. There was a declared value of $1 on the import declaration.

        A start switch is cheap to replace. the points on one can just be replaced or cleaned if not too badly burned. Be sure to replace any capacitor and check any bearings or bushings.

         My motor is a 2 hp on an air compressor.

        When I powered on my RF30 yesterday the motor started up to about ½ speed and quit.  No just a slight hum when power is on.  I replaced the capacitor last fall.  Then I could power on and spin the pulleys and the motor would come up—not the case this time.  The motor is a 2 hp set at 115 volts and was made in Taiwan .  This has been a smooth running little mill up to now.  Any ideas on how to trouble shoot would be appreciated.  I have 3 2 hp American 3 phase motors stored behind my series 1 BP but don’t want to rewire and buy another vfd right now.

        Joe Smith

      • Joe Smith
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 9, 2006

          Thanks,  I am just finishing up a 12x16 shop supplement for my saws and grinders.  Will try your suggestions in a day or so.

          Joe Smith

        • graphicx@swbell.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 9, 2006
            On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 14:52:48 -0500, you wrote:

            >Thanks, I am just finishing up a 12x16 shop supplement for my saws and grinders. Will try your suggestions in a day or so.
            >

            >Joe Smith

            I have a motor off of the Wholesale Tool MD-31B which I don't need.
            From what I can tell it's probably the same as the RF31 so the motor
            could be different. http://wttool.com/p/3006-0007

            Let me know if you need it and I'll take $20 plus the actual shipping.
            After converting mine to CNC I put a VFD / three phase motor on and
            will never think of using the old one again.

            Curtis
          • Joe Smith
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 9, 2006

              Curtis,  Thanks for the offer.  WT shows a 1.5 hp motor.  Mine is 2 Hp but yours should work fine.  I have 3 2 hp 3 phase motors in stock but no open 220 circuit.  I agree the vfd  is the way to go.  I have on on my Enco 9x42 and my Series I BP so this drill mill is really an extra.  If my motor is truly hosed I will get back.

              Joe

              On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 14:52:48 -0500, you wrote:

              >Thanks, I am just finishing up a 12x16 shop supplement for my saws and
              grinders. Will try your suggestions in a day or so.

              >Joe Smith

              I have a motor off of the Wholesale Tool MD-31B which I don't need.
              From what I can tell it's probably the same as the RF31 so the motor

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 10, 2006
                On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 17:15:27 -0500, you wrote:

                >Curtis, Thanks for the offer. WT shows a 1.5 hp motor. Mine is 2 Hp but yours should work fine. I have 3 2 hp 3 phase motors in stock but no open 220 circuit. I agree the vfd is the way to go. I have on on my Enco 9x42 and my Series I BP so this drill mill is really an extra. If my motor is truly hosed I will get back.
                >
                >Joe

                Ok, just let me know. One person contacted me that has a fried motor
                so when you find out either way I'll be able to get it out of my
                garage.

                It might be a good idea to check the shaft size and the bolt pattern
                spacing to make sure it will fit.

                Curtis
              • Joe Smith
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 10, 2006

                  Curtis,  Just finished looking at motor.  Got it to run again so let the other member have the motor.  Many thanks for the consideration.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 10, 2006
                    On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:39:15 -0500, you wrote:

                    >Curtis, Just finished looking at motor. Got it to run again so let the other member have the motor. Many thanks for the consideration.

                    Glad to hear that it worked out. My garage is full of so much clutter
                    I need to get rid of that motor to have a place to walk.

                    Curtis