Switches

  • jrd
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 8, 2006
      I am about to start putting together a power feed for my RF-31 clone. I would like to do it complete with the switches that mount on the bed. Does anyone know about these switches and the proper naming of them (I assume they go off when pressed).  Or is it better to purchase the parts as replacements from one of the kits?

      Jake
    • corey renner
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 8, 2006
        You mean the limit switch?  As luck would have it, I recently took mine apart because I had to fabricate a mount.  Inside the box are two plain old cherry switches.  They are connected to turned aluminum plungers with large springs on them.  Hope that helps.

        cheers,

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 8, 2006
          I was thinking like these:

          Jake

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 8, 2006
            I prefer to get them here:

            http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category/700500/Snap_Action.html

            But yes, that is exactly the type of switch that is inside a power feed limit switch assembly.  The springy arm allows some give since many power feeds don't stop on a dime upon switch activation.

            cheers,

          • leasingham_connelly
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 9, 2006
              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "jrd" <jrd@...> wrote:

              > I am about to start putting together a power feed for my RF-31
              clone. I would like to do it complete with the switches that mount
              on the bed. Does anyone know about these switches and the proper
              naming of them (I assume they go off when pressed). Or is it better
              to purchase the parts as replacements from one of the kits?

              > Jake

              Switches come as normaly closed (NC) normaly open (NO) or with three
              connectors, one is common (labelled COM usualy) and with NO and NC
              on the other two. Normal is the relaxed state of the switch when it
              is not being operated. For your needs you would use NC so that the
              switch opens and breaks the circuit when it is operated by movement
              of the table on the machine. You may also see these switches called
              micro switches. The micro part is based on the fact that the change
              from normal to operated condition is caused by a small movement.
              There is a huge choice in switches so with a suitable catalogue you
              should be able to find some that suit your needs at a better price
              than spares from a kit would cost. Look at roller switches as well
              as lever operated ones. They may give more options for mounting
              close together.

              Martin