Re: Basic text on mill-drill operation

  • a4x6band
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006

      Robert wrote:
      > If you're looking for a novice introduction to milling, the Tee
      > Publishing "Milling, A Complete Course" by Harold Hall is excellent.

      Robert,
      Thanks. That sounds like what I'm looking for. Amazon has it
      listed for $21.95 these days with a 4 to 6 week shipping time. I
      think I'll order one.
      If anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears.

      Fergus
    • carbideqc
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "a4x6band" <yahoogroups@...>
        wrote:

        > > > Folks,
        > > > Is there a basic text on how to operate a mill-drill?
        I'd
        > > >like the mill-drill equivalent of "How to Run a Lathe". Does
        such a
        > > >book exist?
        > > >
        > > > Fergus
        > >

        > Robert wrote:
        > > If you're looking for a novice introduction to milling, the Tee
        > > Publishing "Milling, A Complete Course" by Harold Hall is
        excellent.

        > Robert,
        > Thanks. That sounds like what I'm looking for. Amazon has it
        > listed for $21.95 these days with a 4 to 6 week shipping time. I
        > think I'll order one.
        > If anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears.
        >
        > Fergus

        Look for a link on Amazon for Caiman (sp?)in Florida. I got the book
        a lot cheaper and faster than Amazon could do.
        HTH
        PV
      • Clark Family
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
          I just ordered these from Barnes and Noble online. No shipping
          if order over $50.

          1 $21.00 Dividing
          ISBN:1854862383 Jun 02, 2006
          1 $14.95 Milling: A Complete Course
          ISBN:1854862324 Jun 02, 2006
          1 $14.95 Useful Workshop Tools
          ISBN:1854861948 Jun 02, 2006

          I'll post a review of the Dividing and Useful Tools when I get them.

          -Chris

          carbideqc wrote:
          > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "a4x6band" <yahoogroups@...>
          > wrote:
          >

          >>Folks,
          >> Is there a basic text on how to operate a mill-drill? I'd
          >> like the mill-drill equivalent of "How to Run a Lathe". Does
          >> such a book exist?
          >>
          >>Fergus
          >
          >Robert wrote:
          >
          >If you're looking for a novice introduction to milling, the Tee
          >Publishing "Milling, A Complete Course" by Harold Hall is
          > excellent.
          >
          >>Robert,
          >> Thanks. That sounds like what I'm looking for. Amazon has it
          >>listed for $21.95 these days with a 4 to 6 week shipping time. I
          >>think I'll order one.
          >> If anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears.
          >>
          >>Fergus
          >>

          > Look for a link on Amazon for Caiman (sp?)in Florida. I got the book
          > a lot cheaper and faster than Amazon could do.
          > HTH
          > PV

        • Robert George
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Clark Family <cclark@...> wrote:

            > I just ordered these from Barnes and Noble online. No shipping
            > if order over $50.
            >
            > 1 $21.00 Dividing
            > ISBN:1854862383 Jun 02, 2006
            -----
            > 1 $14.95 Milling: A Complete Course
            > ISBN:1854862324 Jun 02, 2006
            -----
            > 1 $14.95 Useful Workshop Tools
            > ISBN:1854861948 Jun 02, 2006
            >

            > I'll post a review of the Dividing and Useful Tools when I get
            them.

            Those Tee Publishing books are from the Model Engineering Workshop
            contributors (Tubal Cain, Harold Hall, etc) -- I've got nearly a
            dozen of them, and they're *excellent*.

            Tubal Cain's "Screwcutting in the Lathe" is particularly outstanding.
          • a4x6band
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Clark Family <cclark@...> wrote:

              > I just ordered these from Barnes and Noble online. No shipping
              > if order over $50.
              >
              > 1 $21.00 Dividing
              > ISBN:1854862383 Jun 02, 2006
              > 1 $14.95 Milling: A Complete Course
              > ISBN:1854862324 Jun 02, 2006
              > 1 $14.95 Useful Workshop Tools
              > ISBN:1854861948 Jun 02, 2006
              >

              > I'll post a review of the Dividing and Useful Tools when I get them.
              >
              > -Chris

              Chris,
              You must have bought the last copy of Milling, A Complete Course.
              B&N keeps telling me that none are available, new or used. Darn!

              Fergus
            • Rexarino
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
                Powells.com says, for a search on Milling, A Complete Course - "click on the "Notify Me" button, and we'll email you when the title becomes available", so no luck there.

                They do have Martin Cleeve's "Screwcutting in the Lathe" at their Tech book store, which everyone should spend a half day looking through when they come to Portland...

                rexarino, no affiliation, just a customer, sometimes feel like I should be a part owner when I check out though...

                On 6/1/06, a4x6band < yahoogroups@...> wrote:
                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Clark Family <cclark@...> wrote:

                > I just ordered these from Barnes and Noble online.  No shipping
                > if order over $50.
                >
                >       1       $21.00      Dividing
                >                         ISBN:1854862383      Jun 02, 2006
                >       1       $14.95      Milling: A Complete Course
                >                         ISBN:1854862324      Jun 02, 2006
                >       1       $14.95      Useful Workshop Tools
                >                         ISBN:1854861948      Jun 02, 2006
                >

                > I'll post a review of the Dividing and Useful Tools when I get them.
                >
                > -Chris

                Chris,
                     You must have bought the last copy of Milling, A Complete Course.
                B&N keeps telling me that none are available, new or used.  Darn!

                Fergus

                Mill drill Rong fu

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                --
                There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.   P.J. O'Rourke