Re: Basic text on mill-drill operation

  • Robert George
    Message 1 of 10 , May 31, 2006
      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "a4x6band" <yahoogroups@...>
      wrote:

      > Folks,
      > Is there a basic text on how to operate a mill-drill? I'd
      like
      > the mill-drill equivalent of "How to Run a Lathe". Does such a
      book
      > exist?
      >
      > Fergus

      If you're looking for a novice introduction to milling, the Tee
      Publishing "Milling, A Complete Course" by Harold Hall is excellent.
      Tee Publishing is a British company, but you can get it on Amazon
      under the "Other Buying Options" button for around $10 plus ~ $3 for
      international shipping.

      I've read a *lot* of metalworking books, and if you're looking for
      the ultimate text on milling, in my opinion that's "A Treatise on
      Milling and Milling Machines" by the Cincinnati Milling Machine Co.
      This book is long out of print, but you can get copies for dirt
      cheap on Abebooks.com. Get the 3rd Edition from 1951.

      That book is 900 pages, and *way* more detailed than the SouthBend
      Lathe Works "How to Run a Lathe Book."

      Hope that helps,

      Robert
    • a4x6band
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006

        Robert wrote:
        > If you're looking for a novice introduction to milling, the Tee
        > Publishing "Milling, A Complete Course" by Harold Hall is excellent.

        Robert,
        Thanks. That sounds like what I'm looking for. Amazon has it
        listed for $21.95 these days with a 4 to 6 week shipping time. I
        think I'll order one.
        If anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears.

        Fergus
      • carbideqc
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
          wrote:

          > > > Folks,
          > > > Is there a basic text on how to operate a mill-drill?
          I'd
          > > >like the mill-drill equivalent of "How to Run a Lathe". Does
          such a
          > > >book exist?
          > > >
          > > > Fergus
          > >

          > Robert wrote:
          > > If you're looking for a novice introduction to milling, the Tee
          > > Publishing "Milling, A Complete Course" by Harold Hall is
          excellent.

          > Robert,
          > Thanks. That sounds like what I'm looking for. Amazon has it
          > listed for $21.95 these days with a 4 to 6 week shipping time. I
          > think I'll order one.
          > If anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears.
          >
          > Fergus

          Look for a link on Amazon for Caiman (sp?)in Florida. I got the book
          a lot cheaper and faster than Amazon could do.
          HTH
          PV
        • Clark Family
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
            I just ordered these from Barnes and Noble online. No shipping
            if order over $50.

            1 $21.00 Dividing
            ISBN:1854862383 Jun 02, 2006
            1 $14.95 Milling: A Complete Course
            ISBN:1854862324 Jun 02, 2006
            1 $14.95 Useful Workshop Tools
            ISBN:1854861948 Jun 02, 2006

            I'll post a review of the Dividing and Useful Tools when I get them.

            -Chris

            carbideqc wrote:
            > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "a4x6band" <yahoogroups@...>
            > wrote:
            >

            >>Folks,
            >> Is there a basic text on how to operate a mill-drill? I'd
            >> like the mill-drill equivalent of "How to Run a Lathe". Does
            >> such a book exist?
            >>
            >>Fergus
            >
            >Robert wrote:
            >
            >If you're looking for a novice introduction to milling, the Tee
            >Publishing "Milling, A Complete Course" by Harold Hall is
            > excellent.
            >
            >>Robert,
            >> Thanks. That sounds like what I'm looking for. Amazon has it
            >>listed for $21.95 these days with a 4 to 6 week shipping time. I
            >>think I'll order one.
            >> If anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears.
            >>
            >>Fergus
            >>

            > Look for a link on Amazon for Caiman (sp?)in Florida. I got the book
            > a lot cheaper and faster than Amazon could do.
            > HTH
            > PV

          • Robert George
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Clark Family <cclark@...> wrote:

              > I just ordered these from Barnes and Noble online. No shipping
              > if order over $50.
              >
              > 1 $21.00 Dividing
              > ISBN:1854862383 Jun 02, 2006
              -----
              > 1 $14.95 Milling: A Complete Course
              > ISBN:1854862324 Jun 02, 2006
              -----
              > 1 $14.95 Useful Workshop Tools
              > ISBN:1854861948 Jun 02, 2006
              >

              > I'll post a review of the Dividing and Useful Tools when I get
              them.

              Those Tee Publishing books are from the Model Engineering Workshop
              contributors (Tubal Cain, Harold Hall, etc) -- I've got nearly a
              dozen of them, and they're *excellent*.

              Tubal Cain's "Screwcutting in the Lathe" is particularly outstanding.
            • a4x6band
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Clark Family <cclark@...> wrote:

                > I just ordered these from Barnes and Noble online. No shipping
                > if order over $50.
                >
                > 1 $21.00 Dividing
                > ISBN:1854862383 Jun 02, 2006
                > 1 $14.95 Milling: A Complete Course
                > ISBN:1854862324 Jun 02, 2006
                > 1 $14.95 Useful Workshop Tools
                > ISBN:1854861948 Jun 02, 2006
                >

                > I'll post a review of the Dividing and Useful Tools when I get them.
                >
                > -Chris

                Chris,
                You must have bought the last copy of Milling, A Complete Course.
                B&N keeps telling me that none are available, new or used. Darn!

                Fergus
              • Rexarino
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
                  Powells.com says, for a search on Milling, A Complete Course - "click on the "Notify Me" button, and we'll email you when the title becomes available", so no luck there.

                  They do have Martin Cleeve's "Screwcutting in the Lathe" at their Tech book store, which everyone should spend a half day looking through when they come to Portland...

                  rexarino, no affiliation, just a customer, sometimes feel like I should be a part owner when I check out though...

                  On 6/1/06, a4x6band < yahoogroups@...> wrote:
                  --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Clark Family <cclark@...> wrote:

                  > I just ordered these from Barnes and Noble online.  No shipping
                  > if order over $50.
                  >
                  >       1       $21.00      Dividing
                  >                         ISBN:1854862383      Jun 02, 2006
                  >       1       $14.95      Milling: A Complete Course
                  >                         ISBN:1854862324      Jun 02, 2006
                  >       1       $14.95      Useful Workshop Tools
                  >                         ISBN:1854861948      Jun 02, 2006
                  >

                  > I'll post a review of the Dividing and Useful Tools when I get them.
                  >
                  > -Chris

                  Chris,
                       You must have bought the last copy of Milling, A Complete Course.
                  B&N keeps telling me that none are available, new or used.  Darn!

                  Fergus

                  Mill drill Rong fu

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  --
                  There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.   P.J. O'Rourke