Newbie wants to buy Mill/Drill

  • etchipotle
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2002
      Hello,
      I'm new to this board, but have read a fair number of posts. I went
      to a machinery place with a friend who is buying some equipment.

      They sell JET there, and I was drooling over the 15" and 18" milling
      drilling machines. I felt like buying one on the spot but figured
      that wasn't wise so I didn't.

      I'm not a machinist, so I don't really know about these machines so
      I've been trying to learn over the past week. My summer job at a
      machine shop was running the dual broken arm drill press, not the
      mill. I loved that drill press!

      From reading the past posts here, I get the impression that it is the
      opinion of the people here that the JET 18 is the same as the
      similarly spec'd out Rong Fu. Looking at the specs, they do match up
      except for the table size and travel is a couple inches longer on the
      JET. But it looks like I'd get the Rong Fu that you guys are talking
      about for the same price as the 15" JET that they had.

      It looks to me like you guys make a lot of the same type of things I
      want to, and you're happy with your mills, so I can't see why I
      shouldn't go for it, and decide whether I want power down-feed, power
      table and all, and just go for it...

      So I'm back to read your posts about power downfeeds and power
      tables...

      Thanks!

      Jim R.