Re: Industrial Hobbies Square Column Mill Sale

  • hscarson1
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 3, 2006
      Hi Jerry

      Could you please provide some specifics regarding the design
      deficiencies that you mentioned?

      Do you have other recommendations that would be better options in this
      same price range?

      Is the Sieg X3 a better product?

      Thanks

      Scott

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Kimberlin <kimberln@...> wrote:

      > Brad Smith wrote:
      >

      > > You might wish to look at the Grizzly close as I believe it is set up
      > > with auto reverse for tapping, and IS 3 phase.
      >
      > That is very true and I have one - G0519. You can't use the
      > automatic reverse with a VFD and must have a source of
      > 3-phase power to run the machine. So the automatic reverse
      > is rather useless. I just stripped the electrics from mine
      > and use the VFD only.
      >
      > The design has a lot of issues, however. I wouldn't buy
      > another one.
      >
      > JerryK

    • Jerry Kimberlin
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 3, 2006
        hscarson1 wrote:

        > Could you please provide some specifics regarding the design
        > deficiencies that you mentioned?

        Scott,

        Actually not so much design as in the building of the
        machine. It is pretty much the same design as the Rong Fu
        RF-45. The handbook(?) I have for it says it is a ZAY7045.
        It just wasn't very well machined when they made it. For
        instance, the table slots are all parallel and the same
        width, but under the slots where you slide the T-nut into
        are different on one end than the other - tapered.

        When you tighten the Y-axis gib to hold the table from
        moving, the X-axis also tightens up. Flimsy castings.

        The table was tight at both ends of the x-axis right out of
        the box. I smoothed the gib and lapped the table dovetails
        to some extent, but it didn't help much.

        The x-axis acme screw is held at both ends by a roll pin
        making it impossible to remove/adjust backlash.

        The Z-axis has about 1/8" of play vertically, so when you
        drill holes the spindle falls of its own accord when you
        pull down on the handle a little. The spindle clamp has to
        be tightened to help this, but that isn't a good fix. This
        is slop between the rack on the spindle and its mating gear.

        My fine downfeed has never worked right. I don't use it
        anyway so never bothered to try to fix it.

        I sure not every G0519 is this way. It is probably the
        variable machining skills of the people making them,
        changing of worn cutting tools in the factory, etc., that
        really cause the problems. Perhaps later machines are
        better. I've got one of the first machines, I think.

        The reason I bought it was for the 3-phase motor and the
        large spindle to table distance of nearly 20" I put a VFD
        on the machine and that makes it run very well. I also put
        a DRO-350 on it with USDigital scales and that solves most
        of the table backlash problems. I had to make my own T-nuts
        so that they fit in from either end of the table

        Grizzly provides good service and I have other machines from
        them that are really good - woodworking stuff. Grizzly sort
        of specializes in woodworking machinery if their catalog is
        any indication and metalworking is still rather 2nd on their
        list.

        > Do you have other recommendations that would be better options in this
        > same price range?

        I always recommend a knee mill even if it is a smaller one.
        They seem to be better made/more accurate than most of the
        mill/drills. They are heavier and more solid too. I have a
        knee mill also - an old Nichols horizontal mill with
        vertical head - which is solid as a rock.

        The Griz G3102 is probably one example of a vertical knee
        mill that several people have. Wholesale tool also has a
        small knee mill http://www.wttool.com/p/3004-0095 But,
        really, I have no knowledge of these and recommendations
        would best be coming from someone else. Of course I could
        always recommend a used Bridgeport and would get one in an
        instant if I had the space. (standard space complaint)

        > Is the Sieg X3 a better product?

        I can't really answer that as I have no experience with one
        and have never seen one.

        Cheers,

        JerryK
      • Robert George
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 3, 2006
          wrote:

          > hscarson1 wrote:
          >
          > > Could you please provide some specifics regarding the design
          > > deficiencies that you mentioned?
          >
          > Scott,
          >
          > Actually not so much design as in the building of the
          > machine. It is pretty much the same design as the Rong Fu
          > RF-45. The handbook(?) I have for it says it is a ZAY7045.

          I thought all the RF-45 clones (Grizzly, Enco, Industrial Hobbies,
          Lathemaster, Penn Tool, and WholesaleTool) were essentially the same
          ZAY7045 from mainland China?

          It was my understanding that the Industrial Hobbies machine added a
          longer table, just like Grizzly's G1006/1007 is a RF-30 clone with
          a longer table.
        • Robert Breton
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 3, 2006
            Scott,

            I have the Enco clone of the RF-45. Overall I've been pretty happy with
            it. The only real issue I hade was the column was not even close to square
            with the table. I ended removing the column, filling off the body putty,
            scraping the high spots and finally adding shims to the base to square
            everything up. There is a lot of backlash in the X-axis on my mill as well.

            Bob

> [...]
            >
            >> Do you have other recommendations that would be better options in this
            >> same price range?
            >
            > I always recommend a knee mill even if it is a smaller one.
            > They seem to be better made/more accurate than most of the
            > mill/drills. They are heavier and more solid too. I have a
            > knee mill also - an old Nichols horizontal mill with
            > vertical head - which is solid as a rock.
            >
            > The Griz G3102 is probably one example of a vertical knee
            > mill that several people have. Wholesale tool also has a
            > small knee mill http://www.wttool.com/p/3004-0095 But,
            > really, I have no knowledge of these and recommendations
            > would best be coming from someone else. Of course I could
            > always recommend a used Bridgeport and would get one in an
            > instant if I had the space. (standard space complaint)
            >
            >> Is the Sieg X3 a better product?
            >
            > I can't really answer that as I have no experience with one

          • hscarson1
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 7, 2006
              Thanks for your inputs. From your comments, these manufacturing
              deficiencies seem comparable to the ones I've experienced on my
              entry-level mini mill, just on a larger scale.

              Would sure like to hear if others have had better luck with this style
              mill (RF45 clone). I don't mind the "project" concept requiring the
              mill to be disassembled, cleaned up, and adjusted. But I really don't
              want another mill that is poorly machined and will never be able to
              consistently produce good results due to excessive backlash, shifting
              spindle height when clamping, etc. At this point, my preference would
              be to find an affordable mill that I can to use for milling versus
              spending my time working on the mill. But like most people, funds are
              limited so some compromises are necessary.

              Besides the more expensive Rong Fu, can anyone recommend a brand /
              Chinese clone that has a track record of being higher quality, eg,
              Grizzly, Lathmaster, etc.?

              Would a person be better off with one of the 6x26 knee style mills if
              the table travel / spindle clearance is adequate?

              Thanks again to everyone for your inputs.

              Scott