Safety Glasses

  • mark
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1 8:11 AM
      For anyone looking at buying a pair of the S&W optic reader safety
      glasses, make sure you know what you are buying. I purchased two pairs
      of these and I have a problem with them. I had assumed that they were
      like reading glasses, because Enco described them as "readers", and
      there were no picture avaliable. These are actually "bi-focal" glasses.
      The reader part is a small section in the lower center front corner of
      the glasses, the rest is plain plastic, and this has caused me some
      problems. I can't see right through the non-optic part and when I am
      turning bronze and it is throwing chips, the way you have to lift your
      head to use the reader optic, you can be hit with chips where you don't
      want. In my opinion, they can be good glasses if you don't need to get
      close to anything that is throwing chips, because of the way you need
      to raise your head. I spent around $25.00 for the two pair, and they
      may work fine for others, but make sure you understand what they are.

      Mark
    • Bob Headrick
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2 3:13 PM
        Can you give the part number for these?  I had a look at the Enco site and did not find them.  I would like a pair or two of bifocal safety glasses.

         - Bob Headrick
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2 3:54 PM
          I got mine off ebay, but I would second Marks warning about what to
          expect...as he said, a bifocal type arrangement, and the
          magnefication area is really small, and I too found limited uses for
          them.

          I had been using dollar store reading glasses with as large a lens
          as I could find to sorta act as safty glasses, and after finding the
          others dissapointing, have gone back to that arrangement.

          If you try them, just get one pair in case you too are dissapointed.

          Bill

          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Headrick" <bobh@...> wrote:

          > Can you give the part number for these? I had a look at the Enco
          site and did not find them. I would like a pair or two of bifocal
          safety glasses.

          > - Bob Headrick
          > bobh@...

        • mark
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2 4:03 PM
            The part numbers that I bought were 308-0629 and 30. I can't find
            them by going into Enco's wesite, unless you use the part number.
            There is a picture under the part number now, but it really doesn't
            show the optic part. When I bought them last month, they were in the
            monthly sales flyer, but they may be in the MSC book. I have since
            found a better picture of them on the website for Smith & Wesson or
            Olympic Safety Glasses, as they are also known. The glasses are 0
            power with a small optic + reader section. If you need multi power bi-
            focals, I don't think these will help you. Hope this helps.

            Mark

            -- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Headrick" <bobh@...> wrote:

            > Can you give the part number for these? I had a look at the Enco
            site and did not find them. I would like a pair or two of bifocal
            safety glasses.

            > - Bob Headrick
            > bobh@...

          • Carl McIver
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2 4:29 PM
              With respect to safety glasses, find a pair you like at a safety shop (cheap and fit good) that will fit over a pair of regular
              glasses, then wear the glasses you need to wear under them. Make sure it has "Z87" somewhere on them.

              | I got mine off ebay, but I would second Marks warning about what to
              | expect...as he said, a bifocal type arrangement, and the
              | magnefication area is really small, and I too found limited uses for
              | them.
              |
              | I had been using dollar store reading glasses with as large a lens
              | as I could find to sorta act as safty glasses, and after finding the
              | others dissapointing, have gone back to that arrangement.
              |
              | If you try them, just get one pair in case you too are dissapointed.
              |
              | Bill
              |

              | --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Headrick" <bobh@...> wrote:
              | >
              | > Can you give the part number for these? I had a look at the Enco
              | site and did not find them. I would like a pair or two of bifocal
              | safety glasses.
              | >
              | > - Bob Headrick
              | > bobh@...

            • n5kzw
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 3 6:50 AM
                Bill, those dollar-store glasses may be worse than no glasses if they
                give you the false impression that you are being protected. They may
                keep some chips out of your eyes, but they will be useless if you ever
                need the protection offered by real safety glasses.

                Regards,
                Ed

                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Pace" <pace8@...> wrote:

                > I got mine off ebay, but I would second Marks warning about what to
                > expect...as he said, a bifocal type arrangement, and the
                > magnefication area is really small, and I too found limited uses for
                > them.
                >
                > I had been using dollar store reading glasses with as large a lens
                > as I could find to sorta act as safty glasses, and after finding the
                > others dissapointing, have gone back to that arrangement.
                >
                > If you try them, just get one pair in case you too are dissapointed.
                >
                > Bill
                >

                > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Headrick" <bobh@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Can you give the part number for these? I had a look at the Enco
                > site and did not find them. I would like a pair or two of bifocal
                > safety glasses.
                > >
                > > - Bob Headrick
                > > bobh@

              • Wesley Cox
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 3 8:05 AM
                  FWIW, I can relate 2 incidents that turned me off anything but a face
                  shield. Both times I was wearing safety *goggles*, not just glasses.
                  Both times a hot metal speck seared to my eyeball requiring removal with
                  a tool by a doc. The first was while using a bench grinder, the second
                  while using a lathe. It wasn't that I didn't learn my lesson the first
                  time but it was about 8 years between the incidents, I only had one
                  shield at the time, it was across the shop, I was sick of back tracking
                  to get it, it was midnight, I was tired, etc. The first time I thought
                  I had dust in my eye and had then scratched it and it would heal on its
                  own. The metal piece was tiny and over my pupil so I couldn't see it in
                  a mirror. For three days it watered and HURT until I had the
                  inspiration to shine a bright light in the mirror to dilate the pupil
                  and there it was. The doc. used a GRINDER to get the rust out of my
                  eyeball because the metal had been there so long. I now have 2 shields
                  and use them religiously.