Re: Harbor Freight Rotary Table - Part 2

  • mark
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2006
      I'm not sure what the real complaint is here. I have the HF 8" version
      of this RT and I've been real happy with is so far. I find the 00/90 as
      a help in referencing things, and I don't understand the picture about
      the dividing plates at all. True, the finish is not the same as some
      other RT's, but for the $179.95 that I paid, I think it was a bargain. I
      have been using mine exclusively for cutting slots in cylinders and
      ribber dials for antique sock machines with a slitting saw and ball end
      mill, and I have now cut up to 80 slots, what a job. There are
      pictures in the file, Mark's stuff. If this RT didn't index and work
      right, I'd be dead. Do I want a better one? Yes. Don't we all? But as a
      starter RT for someone on a limit bugdet, I don't think you will be
      going wrong. Yes, sometimes the things from HF can be, how shall we say,
      not so good, but that can be addressed, and I have been told that you
      can take internet items back to the HF store for a return, and the store
      near me could not be more helpful and accomadating. HF, Enco, JTS and
      the others all have products to sell, and all of them have their
      problems, when you have to deal with them, they have their problems
      also . Maybe this RT isn't what you were expecting, but I fail to see
      anything that says it's junk. If you have a complaint, explain it so
      that we can all have some info and insight, but please stop trashing
      something that seams to be working just fine for others simply because
      you might think it is not want you thought it was. It might be just
      perfect for someone else.

      Where did you find your RT at JTS Machinery? I couln't find it on there
      website? It looks like a nice RT, keep us updated on how it performs, if
      you will. I am looking to upgade someday.

      Mark

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "miker557" <mikaelc@...> wrote:

      > Have posted a new album with photos of the Harbor Freight 6" rotary
      > table next to the chinese-made unit I got from JTS Machinery (nice
      > folks, by the way). Judge for yourselves which one looks more capable,
      > but my HF unit is being shipped back tomorrow. That's a Rockwell
      > milling machine that both RT's are on, by the way.
      >

      > Mike

    • jrd
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2006
        Mark:

        Maybe a big difference between his HF 6" and your HF 8"?

        Jake
        I'm not sure what the real complaint is here. I have the HF 8" version
        of this RT and I've been real happy with is so far. I find the 00/90 as
        a help in referencing things, and I don't understand the picture about
        the dividing plates at all.  True, the finish is not the same as some
        other RT's, but for the $179.95 that I paid, I think it was a bargain. I
        have been using mine exclusively for cutting slots in cylinders and
        ribber dials  for antique sock machines with a slitting saw and ball end
        mill, and I have now cut up to  80 slots, what a job.  There are
        pictures in the file, Mark's stuff. If this RT didn't index and work
        right, I'd be dead. Do I want a better one? Yes. Don't we all? But as a
        starter RT for someone on a limit bugdet, I don't think you will be
        going wrong. Yes, sometimes the things from HF can be, how shall we say,
        not so good, but  that can be addressed, and I have been told that you
        can take internet items back to the HF store for a return, and the store
        near me could not be more helpful and accomadating.  HF, Enco, JTS and
        the others all have products to sell, and all of them have their
        problems,  when you have to deal with them, they have their problems
        also . Maybe this RT isn't what you were expecting, but I fail to see
        anything that says it's  junk. If you have a complaint, explain it so
        that we can all have some info and insight, but please stop trashing
        something that seams to be working just fine for others simply because
        you might think it is not want you thought it was.  It might be just
        perfect for someone else.

        Where did you find your RT at JTS Machinery? I couln't find it on there
        website? It looks like a nice RT, keep us updated on how it performs, if
        you will. I am looking to upgade someday.

        Mark

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "miker557" <mikaelc@...> wrote:

        > Have posted a new album with photos of the Harbor Freight 6" rotary
        > table next to the chinese-made unit I got from JTS Machinery (nice
        > folks, by the way). Judge for yourselves which one looks more capable,
        > but my HF unit is being shipped back tomorrow. That's a Rockwell
        > milling machine that both RT's are on, by the way.
        >

        > Mike

      • mark
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2006
          The 8" looks like the 6" unit, just larger. My point is that you are
          never totally sure what you will get from HF, or anybody. My HF mill,
          that I bought at the store, was advertised as their 1 1/2hp unit,
          same as all the rest. In the crate was a 2hp, solid column mill. I
          cleaned the shipping goop off it, checked a couple of things for
          accuracy, adjusted nothing, is it perfect, no, but I have been
          totally happy since I first started using it. Is everything HF ships
          like this. NO. The 9x20 lathe that I bought was a piece of crap.
          Fortunately for me, I found a fantastic Logan 10x24, and since the HF
          lathe was within 90 days of purchase, the store took it back, no
          questions asked, grinding head stock bearing and all. The manager
          even appologized for me being unhappy, and he's been great to me ever
          since. Is some of what HF sells shoddy, yes, does the quality vary
          from shipment to shipment, it can, is it always this way, no. I
          bought a 6" Bison chuck from Enco for my Logan. I was making some
          things when I started to notice a problem when I rechucked. The chuck
          was running over .004 out of round, way out of spec. Enco said I had
          to deal with Bison. Bison said that there was no way to guarantee
          that their chuck would fit my 1946 Americam made 1 1/2" spindle,
          which speced at 1.50" and was running dead on. So I said, their specs
          meant nothing, unless I had the "needle in a haystack" spindle that
          it would work on, and I could have saved several hundred dollars by
          buying some cheap one from HF, right. They replaced the chuck, no
          expense to me, and it's out just over .001, great chuck, love it.
          Welcome to the new world. CHEAP is setting the new standard, and what
          ever gets made gets shipped. Hopefully by paying more you will get
          better tooling, but not always.

          Mark

          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "jrd" <jrd@...> wrote:

          > Mark:
          >
          > Maybe a big difference between his HF 6" and your HF 8"?
          >
          > Jake

        • miker557
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 1, 2006
            Oka, first off, the scale around the table goes "00-10-20-30-40-50-
            60-70-80-90-10-20-30-40-50-60-70-80", and then repeats. the 2nd "10"
            mark is 90 degrees away from the first "10" mark, which could be
            confusing if you're looking to set it up at 100 degress or 110
            degrees. Also, the 2nd "80" mark is actually 170 degrees from
            the "00" mark. Are you willing to try and keep track of where you
            should add 10 degrees or subtract 90, just to keep from screwing up
            your project? If they had marked it "00-90" four times, I could
            understand - but the system they have is just stupid.

            The photo of the dividing plate was supposed to show the crude
            finish of the brass "scissors". I could do better with the hand
            tools I have. Yes, it works, but it's a quality issue for me - if
            I'm going to pay the money, by God I expect there to be quality.

            The HF unit weighed 49lbs. as delivered by UPS - the JTS unit was
            37lbs. If the HF unit required that extra mass to obtain the
            precision and rigidity needed, then I'd have to question the quality
            of the materials they put into their product. As someone who's had
            their spine fused twice, I do not appreciate the excess weight,
            especially when a judicious application of intelligence could have
            alliviated the problem (simply compare to 6" tables that anyone else
            sells).

            As for customer service - when I called HF on the phone, I
            specifically asked if I could return the unit to the local store
            (Richardson, Texas), instead of them speding the money to ship it
            back. I was told that the stores only accept returns from store-
            bought merchandise.

            I did receive the return service card on Thursday, and it went in
            the mail yesterday. I'm waiting to see when (and how much) my credit
            card is refunded.

            Mike

            > I'm not sure what the real complaint is here. I have the HF 8"
            version
            > of this RT and I've been real happy with is so far. I find the
            00/90 as
            > a help in referencing things, and I don't understand the picture
            about
            > the dividing plates at all. True, the finish is not the same as
            some
            > other RT's, but for the $179.95 that I paid, I think it was a
            bargain. I
            > have been using mine exclusively for cutting slots in cylinders and
            > ribber dials for antique sock machines with a slitting saw and
            ball end
            > mill, and I have now cut up to 80 slots, what a job. There are
            > pictures in the file, Mark's stuff. If this RT didn't index and
            work
            > right, I'd be dead. Do I want a better one? Yes. Don't we all? But
            as a
            > starter RT for someone on a limit bugdet, I don't think you will be
            > going wrong. Yes, sometimes the things from HF can be, how shall
            we say,
            > not so good, but that can be addressed, and I have been told that
            you
            > can take internet items back to the HF store for a return, and the
            store
            > near me could not be more helpful and accomadating. HF, Enco, JTS
            and
            > the others all have products to sell, and all of them have their
            > problems, when you have to deal with them, they have their
            problems
            > also . Maybe this RT isn't what you were expecting, but I fail to
            see
            > anything that says it's junk. If you have a complaint, explain it
            so
            > that we can all have some info and insight, but please stop
            trashing
            > something that seams to be working just fine for others simply
            because
            > you might think it is not want you thought it was. It might be
            just
            > perfect for someone else.
            >
            > Where did you find your RT at JTS Machinery? I couln't find it on
            there
            > website? It looks like a nice RT, keep us updated on how it
            performs, if
            > you will. I am looking to upgade someday.
            >
            > Mark
            >
            > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "miker557" <mikaelc@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Have posted a new album with photos of the Harbor Freight 6"
            rotary
            > > table next to the chinese-made unit I got from JTS Machinery
            (nice
            > > folks, by the way). Judge for yourselves which one looks more
            capable,
            > > but my HF unit is being shipped back tomorrow. That's a Rockwell
            > > milling machine that both RT's are on, by the way.
            > >

            > > Mike

          • dereklola
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 2, 2006
              Quote "the 2nd "80" mark is actually 170 degrees from the "00" mark"
              Good they got that right.

              "If they had marked it "00-90" four times, I could understand"
              Wow - that really would be confusing - in fact it couldn't be done -
              the four 'quadrant' would only go up to '50'.

              Did you think before you ranted and wrote?
            • miker557
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 2, 2006
                Okay, my bad, say "0-80" four times ... that would make it even.

                I still can't figure out how the numeral "80" at the 170 degree mark
                is, as you say, correct. Is his some new math they're teaching in
                school now?

                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "dereklola" <derek@...> wrote:

                > Quote "the 2nd "80" mark is actually 170 degrees from the "00"
                mark"
                > Good they got that right.
                >
                > "If they had marked it "00-90" four times, I could understand"
                > Wow - that really would be confusing - in fact it couldn't be
                done -
                > the four 'quadrant' would only go up to '50'.
                >
                > Did you think before you ranted and wrote?

              • Wesley Cox
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 2, 2006
                  00 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 00 (90) 10 (100) 20 (110) 30 (120) 40 (130)
                  50 (140) 60 (150) 70 (160) 80 (170)

                  miker557 wrote:

                  >Okay, my bad, say "0-80" four times ... that would make it even.
                  >
                  >I still can't figure out how the numeral "80" at the 170 degree mark
                  >is, as you say, correct. Is his some new math they're teaching in
                  >school now?
                  >

                  >--- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "dereklola" <derek@...> wrote:
                  >

                  >>Quote "the 2nd "80" mark is actually 170 degrees from the "00"
                  >>

                  >mark"
                  >

                  >>Good they got that right.
                  >>
                  >>"If they had marked it "00-90" four times, I could understand"
                  >>Wow - that really would be confusing - in fact it couldn't be
                  >>

                  >done -
                  >

                  >>the four 'quadrant' would only go up to '50'.
                  >>
                  >>Did you think before you ranted and wrote?
                  >>

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Randy
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 2, 2006
                    And to tied the knot on it ..
                    90 ( 180 ) .. Which it should because 2 times to 90 equals 180 .

                    <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .