Re: Harbor Freight Rotary Table - Part 2

  • Philip Burman
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 31, 2006
      The numbering on the graduations looks like it is correct, if its
      numbered in 4 quadrants, each one ranges from 0 to 90. Of course 90
      for one quadrant is also 0 for the next.

      Regards
      Phil

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "miker557" <mikaelc@...> wrote:

      > Have posted a new album with photos of the Harbor Freight 6"
      rotary
      > table next to the chinese-made unit I got from JTS Machinery (nice
      > folks, by the way). Judge for yourselves which one looks more
      capable,
      > but my HF unit is being shipped back tomorrow. That's a Rockwell
      > milling machine that both RT's are on, by the way.
      >

      > Mike

    • mark
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2006
        I'm not sure what the real complaint is here. I have the HF 8" version
        of this RT and I've been real happy with is so far. I find the 00/90 as
        a help in referencing things, and I don't understand the picture about
        the dividing plates at all. True, the finish is not the same as some
        other RT's, but for the $179.95 that I paid, I think it was a bargain. I
        have been using mine exclusively for cutting slots in cylinders and
        ribber dials for antique sock machines with a slitting saw and ball end
        mill, and I have now cut up to 80 slots, what a job. There are
        pictures in the file, Mark's stuff. If this RT didn't index and work
        right, I'd be dead. Do I want a better one? Yes. Don't we all? But as a
        starter RT for someone on a limit bugdet, I don't think you will be
        going wrong. Yes, sometimes the things from HF can be, how shall we say,
        not so good, but that can be addressed, and I have been told that you
        can take internet items back to the HF store for a return, and the store
        near me could not be more helpful and accomadating. HF, Enco, JTS and
        the others all have products to sell, and all of them have their
        problems, when you have to deal with them, they have their problems
        also . Maybe this RT isn't what you were expecting, but I fail to see
        anything that says it's junk. If you have a complaint, explain it so
        that we can all have some info and insight, but please stop trashing
        something that seams to be working just fine for others simply because
        you might think it is not want you thought it was. It might be just
        perfect for someone else.

        Where did you find your RT at JTS Machinery? I couln't find it on there
        website? It looks like a nice RT, keep us updated on how it performs, if
        you will. I am looking to upgade someday.

        Mark

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "miker557" <mikaelc@...> wrote:

        > Have posted a new album with photos of the Harbor Freight 6" rotary
        > table next to the chinese-made unit I got from JTS Machinery (nice
        > folks, by the way). Judge for yourselves which one looks more capable,
        > but my HF unit is being shipped back tomorrow. That's a Rockwell
        > milling machine that both RT's are on, by the way.
        >

        > Mike

      • jrd
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2006
          Mark:

          Maybe a big difference between his HF 6" and your HF 8"?

          Jake
          I'm not sure what the real complaint is here. I have the HF 8" version
          of this RT and I've been real happy with is so far. I find the 00/90 as
          a help in referencing things, and I don't understand the picture about
          the dividing plates at all.  True, the finish is not the same as some
          other RT's, but for the $179.95 that I paid, I think it was a bargain. I
          have been using mine exclusively for cutting slots in cylinders and
          ribber dials  for antique sock machines with a slitting saw and ball end
          mill, and I have now cut up to  80 slots, what a job.  There are
          pictures in the file, Mark's stuff. If this RT didn't index and work
          right, I'd be dead. Do I want a better one? Yes. Don't we all? But as a
          starter RT for someone on a limit bugdet, I don't think you will be
          going wrong. Yes, sometimes the things from HF can be, how shall we say,
          not so good, but  that can be addressed, and I have been told that you
          can take internet items back to the HF store for a return, and the store
          near me could not be more helpful and accomadating.  HF, Enco, JTS and
          the others all have products to sell, and all of them have their
          problems,  when you have to deal with them, they have their problems
          also . Maybe this RT isn't what you were expecting, but I fail to see
          anything that says it's  junk. If you have a complaint, explain it so
          that we can all have some info and insight, but please stop trashing
          something that seams to be working just fine for others simply because
          you might think it is not want you thought it was.  It might be just
          perfect for someone else.

          Where did you find your RT at JTS Machinery? I couln't find it on there
          website? It looks like a nice RT, keep us updated on how it performs, if
          you will. I am looking to upgade someday.

          Mark

          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "miker557" <mikaelc@...> wrote:

          > Have posted a new album with photos of the Harbor Freight 6" rotary
          > table next to the chinese-made unit I got from JTS Machinery (nice
          > folks, by the way). Judge for yourselves which one looks more capable,
          > but my HF unit is being shipped back tomorrow. That's a Rockwell
          > milling machine that both RT's are on, by the way.
          >

          > Mike

        • mark
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 1, 2006
            The 8" looks like the 6" unit, just larger. My point is that you are
            never totally sure what you will get from HF, or anybody. My HF mill,
            that I bought at the store, was advertised as their 1 1/2hp unit,
            same as all the rest. In the crate was a 2hp, solid column mill. I
            cleaned the shipping goop off it, checked a couple of things for
            accuracy, adjusted nothing, is it perfect, no, but I have been
            totally happy since I first started using it. Is everything HF ships
            like this. NO. The 9x20 lathe that I bought was a piece of crap.
            Fortunately for me, I found a fantastic Logan 10x24, and since the HF
            lathe was within 90 days of purchase, the store took it back, no
            questions asked, grinding head stock bearing and all. The manager
            even appologized for me being unhappy, and he's been great to me ever
            since. Is some of what HF sells shoddy, yes, does the quality vary
            from shipment to shipment, it can, is it always this way, no. I
            bought a 6" Bison chuck from Enco for my Logan. I was making some
            things when I started to notice a problem when I rechucked. The chuck
            was running over .004 out of round, way out of spec. Enco said I had
            to deal with Bison. Bison said that there was no way to guarantee
            that their chuck would fit my 1946 Americam made 1 1/2" spindle,
            which speced at 1.50" and was running dead on. So I said, their specs
            meant nothing, unless I had the "needle in a haystack" spindle that
            it would work on, and I could have saved several hundred dollars by
            buying some cheap one from HF, right. They replaced the chuck, no
            expense to me, and it's out just over .001, great chuck, love it.
            Welcome to the new world. CHEAP is setting the new standard, and what
            ever gets made gets shipped. Hopefully by paying more you will get
            better tooling, but not always.

            Mark

            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "jrd" <jrd@...> wrote:

            > Mark:
            >
            > Maybe a big difference between his HF 6" and your HF 8"?
            >
            > Jake

          • miker557
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 1, 2006
              Oka, first off, the scale around the table goes "00-10-20-30-40-50-
              60-70-80-90-10-20-30-40-50-60-70-80", and then repeats. the 2nd "10"
              mark is 90 degrees away from the first "10" mark, which could be
              confusing if you're looking to set it up at 100 degress or 110
              degrees. Also, the 2nd "80" mark is actually 170 degrees from
              the "00" mark. Are you willing to try and keep track of where you
              should add 10 degrees or subtract 90, just to keep from screwing up
              your project? If they had marked it "00-90" four times, I could
              understand - but the system they have is just stupid.

              The photo of the dividing plate was supposed to show the crude
              finish of the brass "scissors". I could do better with the hand
              tools I have. Yes, it works, but it's a quality issue for me - if
              I'm going to pay the money, by God I expect there to be quality.

              The HF unit weighed 49lbs. as delivered by UPS - the JTS unit was
              37lbs. If the HF unit required that extra mass to obtain the
              precision and rigidity needed, then I'd have to question the quality
              of the materials they put into their product. As someone who's had
              their spine fused twice, I do not appreciate the excess weight,
              especially when a judicious application of intelligence could have
              alliviated the problem (simply compare to 6" tables that anyone else
              sells).

              As for customer service - when I called HF on the phone, I
              specifically asked if I could return the unit to the local store
              (Richardson, Texas), instead of them speding the money to ship it
              back. I was told that the stores only accept returns from store-
              bought merchandise.

              I did receive the return service card on Thursday, and it went in
              the mail yesterday. I'm waiting to see when (and how much) my credit
              card is refunded.

              Mike

              > I'm not sure what the real complaint is here. I have the HF 8"
              version
              > of this RT and I've been real happy with is so far. I find the
              00/90 as
              > a help in referencing things, and I don't understand the picture
              about
              > the dividing plates at all. True, the finish is not the same as
              some
              > other RT's, but for the $179.95 that I paid, I think it was a
              bargain. I
              > have been using mine exclusively for cutting slots in cylinders and
              > ribber dials for antique sock machines with a slitting saw and
              ball end
              > mill, and I have now cut up to 80 slots, what a job. There are
              > pictures in the file, Mark's stuff. If this RT didn't index and
              work
              > right, I'd be dead. Do I want a better one? Yes. Don't we all? But
              as a
              > starter RT for someone on a limit bugdet, I don't think you will be
              > going wrong. Yes, sometimes the things from HF can be, how shall
              we say,
              > not so good, but that can be addressed, and I have been told that
              you
              > can take internet items back to the HF store for a return, and the
              store
              > near me could not be more helpful and accomadating. HF, Enco, JTS
              and
              > the others all have products to sell, and all of them have their
              > problems, when you have to deal with them, they have their
              problems
              > also . Maybe this RT isn't what you were expecting, but I fail to
              see
              > anything that says it's junk. If you have a complaint, explain it
              so
              > that we can all have some info and insight, but please stop
              trashing
              > something that seams to be working just fine for others simply
              because
              > you might think it is not want you thought it was. It might be
              just
              > perfect for someone else.
              >
              > Where did you find your RT at JTS Machinery? I couln't find it on
              there
              > website? It looks like a nice RT, keep us updated on how it
              performs, if
              > you will. I am looking to upgade someday.
              >
              > Mark
              >
              > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "miker557" <mikaelc@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Have posted a new album with photos of the Harbor Freight 6"
              rotary
              > > table next to the chinese-made unit I got from JTS Machinery
              (nice
              > > folks, by the way). Judge for yourselves which one looks more
              capable,
              > > but my HF unit is being shipped back tomorrow. That's a Rockwell
              > > milling machine that both RT's are on, by the way.
              > >

              > > Mike

            • dereklola
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 2, 2006
                Quote "the 2nd "80" mark is actually 170 degrees from the "00" mark"
                Good they got that right.

                "If they had marked it "00-90" four times, I could understand"
                Wow - that really would be confusing - in fact it couldn't be done -
                the four 'quadrant' would only go up to '50'.

                Did you think before you ranted and wrote?
              • miker557
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 2, 2006
                  Okay, my bad, say "0-80" four times ... that would make it even.

                  I still can't figure out how the numeral "80" at the 170 degree mark
                  is, as you say, correct. Is his some new math they're teaching in
                  school now?

                  --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "dereklola" <derek@...> wrote:

                  > Quote "the 2nd "80" mark is actually 170 degrees from the "00"
                  mark"
                  > Good they got that right.
                  >
                  > "If they had marked it "00-90" four times, I could understand"
                  > Wow - that really would be confusing - in fact it couldn't be
                  done -
                  > the four 'quadrant' would only go up to '50'.
                  >
                  > Did you think before you ranted and wrote?

                • Wesley Cox
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 2, 2006
                    00 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 00 (90) 10 (100) 20 (110) 30 (120) 40 (130)
                    50 (140) 60 (150) 70 (160) 80 (170)

                    miker557 wrote:

                    >Okay, my bad, say "0-80" four times ... that would make it even.
                    >
                    >I still can't figure out how the numeral "80" at the 170 degree mark
                    >is, as you say, correct. Is his some new math they're teaching in
                    >school now?
                    >

                    >--- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "dereklola" <derek@...> wrote:
                    >

                    >>Quote "the 2nd "80" mark is actually 170 degrees from the "00"
                    >>

                    >mark"
                    >

                    >>Good they got that right.
                    >>
                    >>"If they had marked it "00-90" four times, I could understand"
                    >>Wow - that really would be confusing - in fact it couldn't be
                    >>

                    >done -
                    >

                    >>the four 'quadrant' would only go up to '50'.
                    >>
                    >>Did you think before you ranted and wrote?
                    >>

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Randy
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 2, 2006
                      And to tied the knot on it ..
                      90 ( 180 ) .. Which it should because 2 times to 90 equals 180 .

                      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .