Rotary table

  • usppowayboy
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 23, 2006
      Does anyone know of an on site link for training or some type of
      instruction with a rotary table?

      Thank, God bless
      Ted
    • Paul E. Zoba

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 23, 2006
          Many thanks Paul, what a great group machinists are!

          God bless
          Ted

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 23, 2006
            hi ted-

            you can also check out the grizhfminill yahoogroup - one the guys on there
            wrote up a paper how-to in the files sections if i recall.

            we also have a quick how-to with pictures and video of how to center the
            table:
            <http://www.fignoggle.com/themachine/hfMiniMill/howTo-setupRotaryTable.htm>.
            if you buy a rotary table it may help to get one with some MT taper in it
            (from what i understand some come with threads in the center). this way
            you can use centering jigs and such to assist you in centering workpieces.

            that jjjtrain site was the place i saw when i first got the rotary table.
            btw, if you get the coax centering indicator (it's a very convenient
            device) like what they show in the video be careful not to break the small
            holder that holds the tips - they're difficult to replace.

            hope it helps

            --

            CNC Conversion Plans Now Available!
            <http://www.fignoggle.com/plans/cncplans.htm> (and DRO plans)

            Updates on the HF8x12, HFMini-Mill and more <http://www.fignoggle.com>

            On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 10:50:35 -0800, Ted USP <tedusp@...> wrote:

            > Many thanks Paul, what a great group machinists are!
            >
            > God bless
            > Ted

          • warren_read
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 27, 2006
              I have only recently started using a milling machine (RF-30 Mill drill)
              so I am very new to all this.

              I am looking at purchasing a rotary table. I have a couple of
              immediate uses for one but I could work around that by using other
              methods. It seems to me that rotary table is something that would
              allow a lot of flexability that is difficult to achieve without one.

              My question for those people who have one is it a usefull addition? or
              is it something that gets used only every now and again?

              Thanks

              Warren
            • Art Eckstein
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 27, 2006
                Warren,
                I have one and it "is something that gets used only every now and
                again", but when that occasion comes up, it worth its weight in gold!
                In other words, it is a useful addition like a lot of other tools
                that I have. For instance, my hydraulic press may only get used a
                couple of times a year, but it sure beats messing up parts with a hammer!

                I have many tools in my box that fall into this category. Not used
                much, but very useful additions and there is nothing like having the
                right tool to do the job.

                Bubba

                At 06:10 AM 12/27/2006, you wrote:
                >I have only recently started using a milling machine (RF-30 Mill drill)
                >so I am very new to all this.
                >
                >I am looking at purchasing a rotary table. I have a couple of
                >immediate uses for one but I could work around that by using other
                >methods. It seems to me that rotary table is something that would
                >allow a lot of flexability that is difficult to achieve without one.
                >
                >My question for those people who have one is it a usefull addition? or
                >is it something that gets used only every now and again?
                >
                >Thanks
                >
                >Warren
              • miker557
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 27, 2006
                  100% there - like a lot of the accessories one might get for their
                  mill, you don't use all of them all of the time, yet there will be
                  times when you need them, and then you'll be so happy you got them.
                  Better to have it, and not need it, than to need it, and not have it.

                  Miker

                  --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Art Eckstein <a_eckstein@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Warren,
                  > I have one and it "is something that gets used only every now and
                  > again", but when that occasion comes up, it worth its weight in
                  gold!
                  > In other words, it is a useful addition like a lot of other tools
                  > that I have. For instance, my hydraulic press may only get used a
                  > couple of times a year, but it sure beats messing up parts with a
                  hammer!

                  > I have many tools in my box that fall into this category. Not
                  used
                  > much, but very useful additions and there is nothing like having
                  the
                  > right tool to do the job.
                  >
                  > Bubba

                • Richard W Proper
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 27, 2006
                    Amen to that.
                    I'm building a one cyl.  four stroke and had my rotary table for about a year and did not need it until it came time to mill the connecting rod and it was worth it's weight in shavings.

                    Dick

                    wrote:

                    > Warren,
                    > I have one and it "is something that gets used only every now and
                    > again", but when that occasion comes up, it worth its weight in
                    gold!
                    > In other words, it is a useful addition like a lot of other tools
                    > that I have. For instance, my hydraulic press may only get used a
                    > couple of times a year, but it sure beats messing up parts with a
                    hammer!

                    > I have many tools in my box that fall into this category. Not
                    used
                    > much, but very useful additions and there is nothing like having
                    the
                    > right tool to do the job.
                    >
                    > Bubba

                  • William Abernathy
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 27, 2006
                      You want it. You need it. Go get it.

                      My not-particularly-good rotary table is the second-most-used fixture (behind
                      the vise) on the mill table.

                      I recommend an 8" h/v table, if you can afford one.

                      --William A.

                      warren_read wrote:
                      > I have only recently started using a milling machine (RF-30 Mill drill)
                      > so I am very new to all this.
                      >
                      > I am looking at purchasing a rotary table. I have a couple of
                      > immediate uses for one but I could work around that by using other
                      > methods. It seems to me that rotary table is something that would
                      > allow a lot of flexability that is difficult to achieve without one.
                      >
                      > My question for those people who have one is it a usefull addition? or
                      > is it something that gets used only every now and again?
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      >
                      > Warren

                    • ctdrice
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 28, 2006
                        I agree that a rotary table is very useful and necessary for certain
                        tasks. My advice is to think carefully about the proper size for you.
                        You need one that is not too small to hold what you want, but not too
                        large for your table.

                        For me, an important consideration was its weight. Since I will be
                        the one lifting it on and off the table, I didn't want one too big and
                        heavy. My Phase II 6" rotary is about 50 lbs. The 8" models can be
                        80 to 100 lbs depending upon the make. I bought mine new on ebay
                        ($260 including shipping). Sometimes the 8" are cheaper since Enco
                        and others frequently put them on sale.

                        By the way, my Phase II is quite nice, good finish and smooth
                        operation. I use it mostly in the vertical position for holding the
                        workpiece (ceramic) while I slice it with a diamond saw at various angles.

                        John

                        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, William Abernathy <william@...> wrote:

                        > You want it. You need it. Go get it.
                        >
                        > My not-particularly-good rotary table is the second-most-used
                        fixture (behind
                        > the vise) on the mill table.
                        >
                        > I recommend an 8" h/v table, if you can afford one.
                        >
                        > --William A.
                        >
                        > warren_read wrote:
                        > > I have only recently started using a milling machine (RF-30 Mill
                        drill)
                        > > so I am very new to all this.
                        > >
                        > > I am looking at purchasing a rotary table. I have a couple of
                        > > immediate uses for one but I could work around that by using other
                        > > methods. It seems to me that rotary table is something that would
                        > > allow a lot of flexability that is difficult to achieve without one.
                        > >
                        > > My question for those people who have one is it a usefull
                        addition? or
                        > > is it something that gets used only every now and again?
                        > >
                        > > Thanks
                        > >
                        > > Warren

                      • Rick Kruger
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 28, 2006
                          I agree with John. I've had a minimill, mill/drill (RF31) and now a
                          6x26 knee mill. I started with a 6" RT on the minimill, which worked
                          pretty well, but was at max. size. When I bought the mill/drill, it
                          came with an 8" RT. Even though there was room on the M/D for the
                          8", it was heavier than I wanted to lift and the 6" served my
                          needs. I sold the 8". The 6" now also fits the 6x26 better, due to
                          its smaller capacity.

                          Be clear on your needs and get the RT that best fits.

                          Rick

                          At 11:44 AM 12/28/2006, you wrote:
                          >I agree that a rotary table is very useful and necessary for certain
                          >tasks. My advice is to think carefully about the proper size for you.
                          > You need one that is not too small to hold what you want, but not too
                          >large for your table.
                          >
                          >For me, an important consideration was its weight. Since I will be
                          >the one lifting it on and off the table, I didn't want one too big and
                          >heavy. My Phase II 6" rotary is about 50 lbs. The 8" models can be
                          >80 to 100 lbs depending upon the make. I bought mine new on ebay
                          >($260 including shipping). Sometimes the 8" are cheaper since Enco
                          >and others frequently put them on sale.
                          >
                          >By the way, my Phase II is quite nice, good finish and smooth
                          >operation. I use it mostly in the vertical position for holding the
                          >workpiece (ceramic) while I slice it with a diamond saw at various angles.
                          >
                          >John
                          >

                          >--- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, William Abernathy <william@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > You want it. You need it. Go get it.
                          > >
                          > > My not-particularly-good rotary table is the second-most-used
                          >fixture (behind
                          > > the vise) on the mill table.
                          > >
                          > > I recommend an 8" h/v table, if you can afford one.
                          > >
                          > > --William A.
                          > >
                          > > warren_read wrote:
                          > > > I have only recently started using a milling machine (RF-30 Mill
                          >drill)
                          > > > so I am very new to all this.
                          > > >
                          > > > I am looking at purchasing a rotary table. I have a couple of
                          > > > immediate uses for one but I could work around that by using other
                          > > > methods. It seems to me that rotary table is something that would
                          > > > allow a lot of flexability that is difficult to achieve without one.
                          > > >
                          > > > My question for those people who have one is it a usefull
                          >addition? or
                          > > > is it something that gets used only every now and again?
                          > > >
                          > > > Thanks
                          > > >
                          > > > Warren
                        • ernestcoy
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 30, 2006
                            Hi Rick,
                            I wonder if anyone knows which of the grizzly rotary tables(6 in")
                            are best? They have several, and its hard to find out what the
                            quality is. Some are sold in sets, and others are just the table.
                            Anyone know?
                            Thanks
                            Ernie
                            In Wyoming

                            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Rick Kruger <krugerr@...> wrote:

                            > I agree with John. I've had a minimill, mill/drill (RF31) and now
                            > 6x26 knee mill. I started with a 6" RT on the minimill, which
                            worked
                            > pretty well, but was at max. size. When I bought the mill/drill,
                            it
                            > came with an 8" RT. Even though there was room on the M/D for the
                            > 8", it was heavier than I wanted to lift and the 6" served my
                            > needs. I sold the 8". The 6" now also fits the 6x26 better, due
                            > its smaller capacity.
                            >
                            > Be clear on your needs and get the RT that best fits.
                            >
                            > Rick
                            >
                            > At 11:44 AM 12/28/2006, you wrote:
                            > >I agree that a rotary table is very useful and necessary for
                            certain
                            > >tasks. My advice is to think carefully about the proper size for
                            you.
                            > > You need one that is not too small to hold what you want, but
                            not too
                            > >large for your table.
                            > >
                            > >For me, an important consideration was its weight. Since I will be
                            > >the one lifting it on and off the table, I didn't want one too big
                            and
                            > >heavy. My Phase II 6" rotary is about 50 lbs. The 8" models can
                            be
                            > >80 to 100 lbs depending upon the make. I bought mine new on ebay
                            > >($260 including shipping). Sometimes the 8" are cheaper since Enco
                            > >and others frequently put them on sale.
                            > >
                            > >By the way, my Phase II is quite nice, good finish and smooth
                            > >operation. I use it mostly in the vertical position for holding
                            the
                            > >workpiece (ceramic) while I slice it with a diamond saw at various
                            angles.

                            > >John
                            > >

                            > >--- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, William Abernathy <william@>
                            wrote:

                            > > > You want it. You need it. Go get it.
                            > > >
                            > > > My not-particularly-good rotary table is the second-most-used
                            > >fixture (behind
                            > > > the vise) on the mill table.
                            > > >
                            > > > I recommend an 8" h/v table, if you can afford one.
                            > > >
                            > > > --William A.

                            Mill
                            > >drill)

                            > >addition? or

                          • warren_read
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 4, 2007
                              Thank you very much to everyone for all the replies and advice on
                              rotary tables.

                              After looking at my requirements and going forward it appears to be a
                              useful thing to have. From what I can gather a 6" table seems to be
                              about the right size for what I need.

                              Warren.
                            • clkmakr
                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 20, 2013

                                I have an RF-30 type mill with the 4"? round column. I am interested in clocks and in addition to having a small repair business I want to make clocks including the gears. I figure I will need a rotary table. I have an opportunity to purchase a Phase II 8" horizontal/vertical table for $250, including the dividing plates, which seems like a reasonable price. Would this size table be a good choice for what I want to do and will it work well with this size mill? How do you hold the gear blanks? Will I need a chuck or use some other holder in the MT3 bore? What speed would be good for cutting brass gears? Any input greatly appreciated!

                              • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 20, 2013
                                  You could add a digital indexer to the rotary table to make high tooth counts easy to handle (pun: no winding), see:
                                  <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIAeic1DEoc>
                                  and
                                  <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8iDQKB1QC4>
                                  using it:
                                  <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPUBJaSkpQs>

                                  Malcolm

                                  Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
                                  The writing is on the wall.
                                  Ha-ktovet al ha-kir

                                  Subject: [mill_drill] Rotary table
                                  To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 20, 2013
                                    I can't answer all your questions, but I also have an RF32 and use
                                    the same 8" RT on it. For the work I do, I find it to be a good size
                                    and allows me to hold bigger pieces fairly easily.
                                    As for fixturing, I don't have a clue on how you would do it for your
                                    projects.

                                    Art
                                    Country Bubba

                                    At 08:10 AM 10/20/2013, you wrote:

                                    >I have an RF-30 type mill with the 4"? round column. I am interested
                                    >in clocks and in addition to having a small repair business I want
                                    >to make clocks including the gears. I figure I will need a rotary
                                    >table. I have an opportunity to purchase a Phase II 8"
                                    >horizontal/vertical table for $250, including the dividing plates,
                                    >which seems like a reasonable price. Would this size table be a good
                                    >choice for what I want to do and will it work well with this size
                                    >mill? How do you hold the gear blanks? Will I need a chuck or use
                                    >some other holder in the MT3 bore? What speed would be good for
                                    >cutting brass gears? Any input greatly appreciated!
                                  • Snag's Shop
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Oct 20, 2013
                                      Art Eckstein wrote:
                                      > I can't answer all your questions, but I also have an RF32 and use
                                      > the same 8" RT on it. For the work I do, I find it to be a good size
                                      > and allows me to hold bigger pieces fairly easily.
                                      > As for fixturing, I don't have a clue on how you would do it for your
                                      > projects.
                                      >
                                      > Art
                                      > Country Bubba
                                      >

                                      > At 08:10 AM 10/20/2013, you wrote:
                                      >

                                      >> I have an RF-30 type mill with the 4"? round column. I am interested
                                      >> in clocks and in addition to having a small repair business I want
                                      >> to make clocks including the gears. I figure I will need a rotary
                                      >> table. I have an opportunity to purchase a Phase II 8"
                                      >> horizontal/vertical table for $250, including the dividing plates,
                                      >> which seems like a reasonable price. Would this size table be a good
                                      >> choice for what I want to do and will it work well with this size
                                      >> mill? How do you hold the gear blanks? Will I need a chuck or use
                                      >> some other holder in the MT3 bore? What speed would be good for
                                      >> cutting brass gears? Any input greatly appreciated!

                                      I use a 6" on my RF45 clone , and it's plenty big enough . I cast and
                                      machined a slotted center-able adapter plate to mount the chucks from my
                                      lathe on mine . I've only made a few <5 to be exact> gears with mine so far
                                      , but they've all turned out usable - 3 of the 5 are now running in the QC
                                      gearbox on my lathe . I made mandrels to mount the gears thru the center
                                      hole (might be different if your gears are on integral shafts/axles) and
                                      went straight from the lathe operation to the RT by moving chuck and all .
                                      You will need to align the RT to the table with a straight rod/shaft . Then
                                      dial in the gear and commence cuttin' .

                                      Snag
                                      out in
                                      the shop