ZAY7045FG or RF-45 Clone Mods??

  • jer29_11_13
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2006
      Has anyone added a power downfeed and/or powered x-axis to their
      Lathemaster ZAY7045FG or an equivalent RF-45 clone? Or where can I
      get detailed info to make these mods...what was done, items used and
      sources to purchase parts.

      Is it alot cheaper to do these mods versus buying the mill with them?

      Thank you,

      Fred
    • accuratemike
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2006
        I have a Rong Fu JFC45N2F. The power down feed is part of the quills
        gearbox. I don't think you could retro-fit a mill not originally
        equipped with it. You could power the down feed handle, but you
        wouldn't quite be there, power down feed includes limit and retraction
        as well. X-axis power feed is almost indespensible. They just bolt-on.
        I bought mine with the mill. MIKE

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "jer29_11_13" <fconte@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone added a power downfeed and/or powered x-axis to their
        > Lathemaster ZAY7045FG or an equivalent RF-45 clone? Or where can I
        > get detailed info to make these mods...what was done, items used and
        > sources to purchase parts.
        >
        > Is it alot cheaper to do these mods versus buying the mill with them?
        >
        > Thank you,
        >
        > Fred

      • jer29_11_13
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2006

          Mike,

          I think we may be talking about two different things as I may have used the wrong terminology.

          You are referring to a powered quill and I am referring to a powered head to easily move it up and down...am I correct?     Check out Lathemaster's site provided below:

          http://www.lathemaster.com/HEAVYDUTYMILLINGMACHINE%207045FG.htm

          Basically, I am trying to see if adding these features to the ZAY7045FG   is alot cheaper or should I just get the ZAY7045L with the x-axis feed accessory, the total would be $1934 plus shipping.

          Fred

          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "accuratemike" <mike@...> wrote:

          > I have a Rong Fu JFC45N2F. The power down feed is part of the quills
          > gearbox. I don't think you could retro-fit a mill not originally
          > equipped with it. You could power the down feed handle, but you
          > wouldn't quite be there, power down feed includes limit and retraction
          > as well. X-axis power feed is almost indespensible. They just bolt-on.
          > I bought mine with the mill. MIKE
          >
          > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "jer29_11_13" fconte@ wrote:
          > >
          > > Has anyone added a power downfeed and/or powered x-axis to their
          > > Lathemaster ZAY7045FG or an equivalent RF-45 clone? Or where can I
          > > get detailed info to make these mods...what was done, items used and
          > > sources to purchase parts.
          > >
          > > Is it alot cheaper to do these mods versus buying the mill with them?
          > >
          > > Thank you,
          > >
          > > Fred

        • accuratemike
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2, 2006
            Mine has power downfeed for boring. There are three feed rates and a
            depth setting. When it reaches that depth, the feed disengages and the
            quill returns to the start point. Sounds like you are looking at a
            motor driven Z axis. I don't have that. I think all of the clones
            raise and lower their head via a lead screw, while RF's use a rack.
            The z handle is usually used to raise and lower the head and quill
            feed to engage the work. You may be able to lock the quill and use the
            z feed to drill etc. I think the action of moving along the dovetail
            vs moving the quill would be a bit "rougher" though. When CNC'ing,
            both are converted to ball-screw and the z can readily be used to do
            the work (dovetail fit/finish still an issue). MIKE